Most "B.A." Airplane - Part I - Military Prop

Really surprised no one said it yet.
B-17 = awesome..

Takes a ton of damage, great payload.. plus, what is cooler than a belly turret?

B17TakingOff.jpg

I thought the Yorktown was fighting 8? At least until it went down in may of 42. Obviously need to wipe the rust off my golden wings.

Thach was over VF-3. VF-3 served on both carriers and was assigned to the Yorktown during the battle of Midway.

jees,
make that june of 42 for the yorktown and mayish for the lady lex??

sheesh

You have to remember, both the Lexington and Yorktown were present at Coral Sea (May '42). Lady Lex went down (torpedoed by a US submarine to prevent capture) and the Yorktown limped back to Pearl only to be sunk during the Battle of Midway in June of '42.

You have to remember, both the Lexington and Yorktown were present at Coral Sea (May '42). Lady Lex went down (torpedoed by a US submarine to prevent capture) and the Yorktown limped back to Pearl only to be sunk during the Battle of Midway in June of '42.
yorktown sunk by a japanese torpedo limping back after Midway? I really used to be up on this, but not so much now.

yorktown sunk by a japanese torpedo limping back after Midway? I really used to be up on this, but not so much now.

Correct. Attached June 4th, Yorktown continued to float only to be sunk during salvage operations the 7th of June by a Japanese submare.

Trivia...

Had to go and look this up, couldn't remember exact numbers.

Damage to the Yorktown at Midway caused an initial list of 26 degrees. Salvage operations managed to reduce this list to 2 degrees by the time the fatal blows were delt. The Yorktown was well on her way to surviving major damage from battle for the second time in two months...

Wasn't David McCampbell the highest ranking Navy Ace of the war with 36 or so kills in a Hellcat? Hellcats rock. A Bearcat would have been hugely succesful no doubt - just showed up to late.

Wasn't David McCampbell the highest ranking Navy Ace of the war with 36 or so kills in a Hellcat? Hellcats rock. A Bearcat would have been hugely succesful no doubt - just showed up to late.

Yes he was. Can't remember if it was 34 or 36. Thinking it was 34 kills. Either was, impressive number.

Toss up of the single-engines:

Douglas A-1 Skyraider
Cessna O-2 Skymaster
Piper PA-48 Enforcer.

Multi Engine:

Douglas B-26 Invader

Uhhh, isn't the 0-2 a twin engine plane? :p Granted the rear engine is there just for looks but, still.

And, the A-26 is a different animal than the B-26. Both farking cool though. (your pic is an A-26 ;))

My late grandfather flew every fighter that the Army had except for the P-36 (a P-40 with a radial basically). He flew the P-40 and the P-47 in combat and the rest he flew when he got back at McCoy Field in Orlando as a test pilot. I think he preferred the P-40 to all of them but, that is only because he talked about it more.

He was one of the test pilots that got to figure out how to launch a P-40 off of an aircraft carrier. Notice I didn't say land on a carrier. The mission he had to do was fly off of a converted carrier (liberty ship) fight his way into North Africa. Then he was supposed to land at a German airfield, jump out of the cockpit and fight some more to try to take over that field. Fortunately, when he got there the Germans had already retreated so he just had to land and then lay around until the rest of the Army showed up.

I have a few pictures of him launching off of the carrier that came from the National Archives. Unfortunately, they are old and have not been scanned into a computer yet. Still, pretty cool to see a couple of P-40's on the deck of a ship.

Uhhh, isn't the 0-2 a twin engine plane? :p Granted the rear engine is there just for looks but, still.

And, the A-26 is a different animal than the B-26. Both farking cool though. (your pic is an A-26 ;))

Doh...yes; O-2 is in the twin category. Dingbat moment for me!

They went back and forth naming and renaming the Invader from A-26 to B-26, back and forth after the Maurader went away; I believe the B-26K was what this version was called, later A-26A nomenclature too.....depending on whether bomber-designated aircraft were allowed in Thailand/Vietnam on that given day or not. But same aircraft, though weird designations/re-designations.

They went back and forth naming and renaming the Invader from A-26 to B-26, back and forth after the Maurader went away; I believe the B-26K was what this version was called, later A-26A nomenclature too.....depending on whether bomber-designated aircraft were allowed in Thailand/Vietnam on that given day or not. But same aircraft, though weird designations/re-designations.

Ah, didn't know that. I've just always heard the A-26 designation. My father-in-law flew them for a short time.

I've always been partial to the A-20 Havoc/Boston:
800px-Douglas_A-20G_Havoc.jpg

douglas-a20g.jpg

My late grandfather flew every fighter that the Army had except for the P-36 (a P-40 with a radial basically). He flew the P-40 and the P-47 in combat and the rest he flew when he got back at McCoy Field in Orlando as a test pilot. I think he preferred the P-40 to all of them but, that is only because he talked about it more.

He was one of the test pilots that got to figure out how to launch a P-40 off of an aircraft carrier. Notice I didn't say land on a carrier. The mission he had to do was fly off of a converted carrier (liberty ship) fight his way into North Africa. Then he was supposed to land at a German airfield, jump out of the cockpit and fight some more to try to take over that field. Fortunately, when he got there the Germans had already retreated so he just had to land and then lay around until the rest of the Army showed up.

I have a few pictures of him launching off of the carrier that came from the National Archives. Unfortunately, they are old and have not been scanned into a computer yet. Still, pretty cool to see a couple of P-40's on the deck of a ship.

Very cool! I remember when I was younger, we had a video of different WWII fighters and they showed footage of P-40s taking of from carriers! Freaking awesome! :nana2:

Back