Moscow SJ100 crash evacuation video

Didn't see this one before, a real nice closeup video. Starts with the skidding stop and subsequent evac.

Video:

Full article:

Any general observations? I'm curious what you guys think especially @MikeD

1. A full 10 seconds elapses after the plane stops, and 17 total seconds until slide deployed and first guy out. Could it have been quicker?

2. Almost 30 seconds for the R1 door to open and slide deployed. Delayed response time?

3. As usual, some people EVAC with bags.

4. Passenger distance from aircraft during a raging fire? No one tells us any of that info. What's a safe distance? Right now the aft fusealge is on fire. Once that right wing fuel tank(s) erupts, that would be an extreme danger to anyone still near the plane.

5. What guy went up the slide? Sure hope it wasn't the same guy throwing the bag down the slide.

From the time the jet came to a stop, the evac began in a timely manner, considering the effects of initial shock of the occurrence. The R1 door was opened and slide deployed in a reasonable time, and if there was only one forward FA, then the delay in the L1 door opening and deploying slide is reasonable considering that the FA would have had to have gotten the evac going out the right door and in progress, before starting the evac our the left door. Sadly, in this instance, nether the rear doors, nor any over wing exits, were useable. Just the L1/R1 doors. With that restriction, the chance of anyone not in the first 7-8 or so rows being able to egress, was nil to none, considering the pile up that would occur in the single aisle.

Unfortunately, the rear fuselage only has less than about 1 minute before becoming a non-survivable IDLH environment due to smoke/toxic gases resulting from fuselage burn-through.

Distance from the aircraft depends on the circumstances/condition of the aircraft, but a good 100 yards covers most every situation that could be encountered.

The guy headed back up the slide appears to be a ramp worker. There doesn’t appear to be any pax who evac’d, still around the aircraft. None that I saw at least.

Last edited:
Does it seem unusual how quickly the fire managed to burn through the hull, considering that it didn't start until the aircraft had initially touched down?

Does it seem unusual how quickly the fire managed to burn through the hull, considering that it didn't start until the aircraft had initially touched down?

there’s a massive Class B fire burning against what’s merely aluminum or composites. With the rear fuselage sitting in that pool of burning fuel, its integrity is going to be compromised fast. Same thing happened in the British Airtours 737 fire in Manchester in 1985, and that fuselage was sitting normally off the ground above the fire. It burned through in a little over 1 minute.

The entire cabin was unsurvivable by the time the first fire truck showed up, as evidenced by the heavy smoke pouring out the cockpit windows from the fire that had impinged the aft fuselage by now. Unless someone had a smoke hood on, which unfortunately would let them breathe but not protect them from the severe radiant heat of the fire and smoke, they would just take longer to die from thermal burns rather than the toxic gases. It’s no surprise that over half the persons onboard did not survive.

Goes to show that there really isn’t any one guaranteed place to sit in a plane that is completely survivable.

Last edited:
there’s a massive Class B fire burning against what’s merely aluminum or composites. With the rear fuselage sitting in that pool of burning fuel, its integrity is going to be compromised fast. Same thing happened in the British Airtours 737 fire in Manchester in 1985, and that fuselage was sitting normally off the ground above the fire. It burned through in a little over 1 minute.

The entire cabin was unsurvivable by the time the first fire truck showed up, as evidenced by the heavy smoke pouring out the cockpit windows from the fire that had impinged the aft fuselage by now. Unless someone had a smoke hood on, which unfortunately would let them breathe but not protect them from the severe radiant heat of the fire and smoke, they would just take longer to die from thermal burns rather than the toxic gases. It’s no surprise that over half the persons onboard did not survive.

Goes to show that there really isn’t any one guaranteed place to sit in a plane that is completely survivable.

With a bit of experience, cant think of anything worse than a fire to try and survive ...

I hadn't read the article and didn't know anything about this incident when I watched the video. Complete loss of control of the plane. You don't often see a jet skidding sideways like that or at that speed. Must have hit the runway really hard and most likely some severe bouncing followed. Then when the fire began, and was so huge immediately, I thought, Jesus, the fuel tanks have been compromised. That's the only explanation of a conflagration like that. The pax sitting in the rear and most of the center seats had no chance whatsoever to survive in those conditions. It would be interesting to know who the hell opened the rear door though. My guess is a panicked pax. Some balls for a ground worker to climb up the slide and try to save more pax.

I have to wonder if the pilot is being hung out to dry as opposed to/rather than admitting there are issues with the aircraft. There were previous issues with the plane(s), some of which resulted in grounding of the entire fleet for inspections and repairs.

Just looked up and found this:ASN Aircraft accident Sukhoi Superjet 100-95B RA-89098 Moskva-Sheremetyevo Airport (SVO)
Damn.

Last edited:
Typically when lightning pops a tank you ain't making it to the ground in time, big fireball. That crash sounded like a horrorscape when I first read it on the news. The video was honestly worse. God I'm glad I fly for a USA based airline.

Was there anything about the accident or its results that could be attributed to the safety standards of a foreign flag carrier, other than that no U.S. carrier flies the Sukhoi?

Was there anything about the accident or its results that could be attributed to the safety standards of a foreign flag carrier, other than that no U.S. carrier flies the Sukhoi?
oh I have no facts just rampant speculation.

Its always been my experience, for the limited time I dispatched 129 flag carriers, that their mx and pilot comfort with flying broke ass planes was universal and jaw dropping. When the FAA got mad at the entire continent of Africa they brought two inspectors out to T1 & T4 and no inspection took longer than 10 minutes, but every plane was grounded. Two were missing chunkes out of the N1. ADs weren't complied with. Holes in non pressurizing parts of the airplane. The list goes on.

LOT polish seemed ok but the mentality was "if it flew in it'll fly out" so pilots weren't writing anything up. Cathay was a bright shiny sun next to everyone else at the time. But those pilots seem to care.

Typically when lightning pops a tank you ain't making it to the ground in time, big fireball. That crash sounded like a horrorscape when I first read it on the news. The video was honestly worse. God I'm glad I fly for a USA based airline.
But a lightning strike put them in manual reversion mode, which...it shouldn’t on an FBW airplane right?

But a lightning strike put them in manual reversion mode, which...it shouldn’t on an FBW airplane right?
Dude. Call me and spoon feed me the report because I'm not gonna read it and I'll walk you through all the ways this thing is a giant cluster. I can even research who did the testing on it.

My guess is your intution is right

There was a lot of speculation that people in the back died because of passengers up front blocking the aisle getting their carry on, but iirc all of the dead still had their seatbelts buckled and were dead before they could even get out of their seats.

There was a lot of speculation that people in the back died because of passengers up front blocking the aisle getting their carry on, but iirc all of the dead still had their seatbelts buckled and were dead before they could even get out of their seats.

As fast as that cabin filled with smoke from the fire entering the aft half of the fuselage, along with the thermal temps of the aft fuselage from the fire itself, the latter seems a lot more plausible. At least as it comes to the majority of fatalities in the aft half of the aircraft.

Dude. Call me and spoon feed me the report because I'm not gonna read it and I'll walk you through all the ways this thing is a giant cluster. I can even research who did the testing on it.

My guess is your intution is right

Cliffs notes: Plane was struck by lightning, lost electrical power, captain decided to turn back and hand fly the plane, squawked 7600, missed the turn to final and circled back. At 900ft AGL the LLWS alert went off (apparently they didnt lose all their electrical). Pilot continued, crossed the landing threshold way overspeed, touched down 900 meters past the threshold, porpoised down the runway, the last impact of which was greater than 5Gs and caused the wing spar to collapse, rupturing the fuel lines.

Seems to me that this one was not the planes fault, although apparently the SJ100 has had a lot of dispatch problems, all the accidents involved some form of pilot error.

Cliffs notes: Plane was struck by lightning, lost electrical power, captain decided to turn back and hand fly the plane, squawked 7600, missed the turn to final and circled back. At 900ft AGL the LLWS alert went off (apparently they didnt lose all their electrical). Pilot continued, crossed the landing threshold way overspeed, touched down 900 meters past the threshold, porpoised down the runway, the last impact of which was greater than 5Gs and caused the wing spar to collapse, rupturing the fuel lines.

Seems to me that this one was not the planes fault, although apparently the SJ100 has had a lot of dispatch problems, all the accidents involved some form of pilot error.
Good God. Ok... Did he retract the flaps in the flare?

A guy who did the FVT in Russia (or whatever) might be calling me later if he's available. Let me read some of the reporting and I'll get back to y'all later.

All things being the same, someone probably didn't reattach the shielding whenever they had the computer out or were running a test. Not being bonded or shielded is how you kill all computers

Back