More TWA 800 stuff

Jeebus! Seems these days even the conspiracies morph in to other conspiracies.

I don't think the original "missile" conspiracy was about the Navy intentionally blowing up a civvy airliner. Pretty sure the original story was the Navy brought down the ship by accident, and the conspiracy was the cover-up. But, you know, with all the real shirt that's about to blow us all up, Frankly, My Dear, I don't give a damn.

Yeah I think that is the point. Covering such an event up, would require the complete silence of hundreds of servicemembers, for over 20 years. Not only would that be insane even for a couple days, but especially that long. This isn't soviet russia, where this sort of thing has absolutely happened. Wrong or right, accidental or intentional, there was no silence about the USS Vincennes, at least in the sense that it did happen. That is western culture, particularly US culture, for you. Our leadership doesn't have the luxury of a giant political firewall denying free speech.

Yeah I think that is the point. Covering such an event up, would require the complete silence of hundreds of servicemembers, for over 20 years. Not only would that be insane even for a couple days, but especially that long. This isn't soviet russia, where this sort of thing has absolutely happened. Wrong or right, accidental or intentional, there was no silence about the USS Vincennes, at least in the sense that it did happen. That is western culture, particularly US culture, for you. Our leadership doesn't have the luxury of a giant political firewall denying free speech.

Look to see if there are a small group of exceptionally wealthy former enlisted Navy personnel and that all served on the same ship. That'll tell you.

What we'll probably get is an E-2 from some other ship that was in the Pacific at that time coming forward to verify the missile theory.

Honestly though on a ship how many of the crew outside CIC would have any clue what they’re shooting missiles at?

Honestly though on a ship how many of the crew outside CIC would have any clue what they’re shooting missiles at?
A missile launch in the Hudson Bay would not go unnoticed to the crew. Not exactly a normal live fire training area. Those ships don't fire missiles on the daily.

And then with all the news the next day it wouldnt be hard to put 2 and 2 together.

A missile launch in the Hudson Bay would not go unnoticed to the crew. Not exactly a normal live fire training area. Those ships don't fire missiles on the daily.

And then with all the news the next day it wouldnt be hard to put 2 and 2 together.

Huh? They weren’t in Hudson Bay? That’s in northern Canada. They were in the Atlantic in a Warning Area off Long Island

Huh? They weren’t in Hudson Bay? That’s in northern Canada. They were in the Atlantic in a Warning Area off Long Island
Apologies. I'm not up on my east coast geography.

Still I would argue unless there were multiple firings that night by that ship I think the crew would notice a single firing coupled with the news the next day and their close proximity.

Apologies. I'm not up on my east coast geography.

Still I would argue unless there were multiple firings that night by that ship I think the crew would notice a single firing coupled with the news the next day and their close proximity.

Well yeah I was assuming they had been doing a live fire exercise around that time. I’m not overly familiar with the theory other than a navy ship shot it down. I meant in general though, how much of the crew would have any idea what they were shooting at?

The other part wouldn’t necessarily be “hey what are we doing firing missiles.”

It would be the 2-3 days after such events where attempts to sterilize and silence all and everything related to it and even manufacturing new data to take the place of all that missing logs and reports. The sudden presence of people not in the crew or removal of people who were. That all would be a very big “Not Normal!” To everybody whether they were in or out of the CiC.

As said by me an a lot of other people. The idea is insultingly absurd. This is the evolution of a really dumb theory that has moved the goal posts on its self multiple times when it was proven to be an impossible story. First it was a terrorist with a MANPADS that could perform magic by the engagement scenario. Then it was suddenly a Talos which weren’t even in service anymore because of the way the nose separated from the fuselage. Now it’s an errant SM-2 and an Aegis cruiser because we found reports that when you squint real hard and read them backwards they substantiate our lunacy….

I feel bad for the families getting constantly told by some basement dweller crazy “what really happened was…” That’s gotta be impossibly difficult to find a good way to grieve in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel bad for the families getting constantly told by some basement dweller crazy “what really happened was…” That’s gotta be impossibly difficult to find a good way to grieve in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was in the 90’s. Can’t even imagine what that would be like today. Alex Jones would have a field day.

It's theoretically possible to sleep through a SM-2 launch on a cruiser or destroyer, but highly unlikely. It would be like sleeping through a train wreck on the tracks behind your house.

OTOH, the rumors would have been impossible to miss. NOTHING happens on a ship and stays a secret for more than 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I never understood the hate on Nickelback. They weren't the best but hardly the worst rock band of the late 90s/early 2000s. I don't have any of their music on my phone, but I don't change the radio station when their songs play.

At this point they are more infamous for everyone trashing them than they are for their music.
Not to sound like some sort of pessimistic hipster but I hated them way before they were cool to hate. I’ll agree, they aren’t objectively bad, but I just can’t stand Chad Kroger’s vocals, their songs are super bland and sterile and just plain boring. Almost aggressively so.

It’s one of those things that people just hate because they hear everyone else hate it. I’ve even had kimchi on a pizza and it was amazing.

If you’re in the “right frame of mind”, even pickles on pizza can be surprisingly good.

On TWA 800…I guess I find it a lot more believable that one of the most complex machines ever produced with 100’s of interacting systems including combustible stuff could find a novel way to destroy itself than a ship with 100’s of crew members keeping a secret for this long.

If you’re in the “right frame of mind”, even pickles on pizza can be surprisingly good.

On TWA 800…I guess I find it a lot more believable that one of the most complex machines ever produced with 100’s of interacting systems including combustible stuff could find a novel way to destroy itself than a ship with 100’s of crew members keeping a secret for this long.
It grosses my wife out but there was some recipe in NYT cooking that’s basically a toasted peanut butter and pickle sandwich which sriracha. Unashamed to admit it’s a pretty regular thing for me now. The sweet/sour/spicy and rich/tangy/acidic combo works for me.

Few things piss me off as much as a TWA 800 conspiracy theory. Believing idiotic nonsense about a flat earth is one thing. Accusing an entire shipload of United States sailors of blowing up a plane and then covering it up is quite another. These scumbugs can f*** all the way off.

You seem to hold United States Sailors in very high regard. Like they'd never be complicit in blowing up a TWA flight outta JFK and then covering it up. The navy is full of a lot of bad people though. Don't you watch NCIS or the spin-offs NCIS New Orleans, NCIS Los Angeles, NCIS Hawaii, NCIS Midland/Odessa, etc? FFS they even let @///AMG in the freaking Navy.

You seem to hold United States Sailors in very high regard. Like they'd never be complicit in blowing up a TWA flight outta JFK and then covering it up. The navy is full of a lot of bad people though. Don't you watch NCIS or the spin-offs NCIS New Orleans, NCIS Los Angeles, NCIS Hawaii, NCIS Midland/Odessa, etc? FFS they even let @///AMG in the freaking Navy.

One thing about veterans is that we know all too well the kind of depraved idiots that make up a significant portion of the military.

This fact alone proves to me that 99% of conspiracy theories are BS. They all hinge on a small army of capable and dedicated soldiers who are both willing to go along with all of the antics of "elites" and are able to keep it a secret. It's certainly possible that a US Navy ship accidentally shot down a jet (such as the Vincennes did) but no way does some disgruntled seaman (who was already busted a rank for DUI and about to be kicked out of the Navy) keep it a secret for 25 years.

One thing about veterans is that we know all too well the kind of depraved idiots that make up a significant portion of the military.

This fact alone proves to me that 99% of conspiracy theories are BS. They all hinge on a small army of capable and dedicated soldiers who are both willing to go along with all of the antics of "elites" and are able to keep it a secret. It's certainly possible that a US Navy ship accidentally shot down a jet (such as the Vincennes did) but no way does some disgruntled seaman (who was already busted a rank for DUI and about to be kicked out of the Navy) keep it a secret for 25 years.
This is the greatest possible rebuttal of many conspiracy theories.

Back