Morbid curiosity. Upgrade times?

I know this is captain obvious, but it’s the lack of wide bodies at SW that I’d assume keeps it close to the 50% mark to be a captain. Alot of these other places have wide bodies where people who have seniority to fly captain, choice to fly wide bodies instead, some for nearly their entire career. The result is seeing folks 75%ish on the global seniority list.

SWAPA has a history of looking out for the senior at the expense of everyone else. It’s why reserve is pure hell.

I don’t know DOH but the latest captain seniority is about 12k. I’m 10843 with a 4/2017 DOH.

No. I made my bed (several times) and now have to sleep in it.

But when there's one outlier where upgrade times are more than double everywhere else, I think applicants need to know about it... and perhaps more importantly unions need to take into consideration recruitment, retention, and lifetime earnings when negotiating contracts in an environment of very lengthy upgrades.

The grass is always greener… yadda yadda… today’s belle of the ball will be tomorrow’s worst place to work etc. SWA may look like it is behind the rest of the pack today but a few years from now it might not be the case. Bottom line you chose to work for a company with decent financials, a good product, and a positive outlook… but it has some warts like everywhere else. I wouldn’t sweat it for a minute… I mean you could still be at WM instead of WN and in my opinion that would be way worse.

Speaking of WM I just flew with one of your former coworkers… nice guy and a welcome change from all of the prior mil guys here.

Yea those upgrade times are fairly useless.

MEM75CA routinely goes down to almost one year because it's that bad. 5 years later you still are 90% sitting am reserve waiting to drive 240 at 2:30am to fly to casper, wy.
Not enough money in the world, and so forth.

Flying every single day on reserve is not my idea of fun.
I've commuted to reserve for a handful of years now, I never really got the guys that acted like sitting in the crashpad not getting used was the worst thing in the world. Get paid thousands of dollars a month so sit around and watch TV and movies all day and enjoy the weather outside sometimes? I'll take it versus actually working, even if it is away from home.

I've commuted to reserve for a handful of years now, I never really got the guys that acted like sitting in the crashpad not getting used was the worst thing in the world. Get paid thousands of dollars a month so sit around and watch TV and movies all day and enjoy the weather outside sometimes? I'll take it versus actually working, even if it is away from home.
Sitting next to a man wearing boxers and a MAGA hat while watching FOX News wasn’t exactly my “living the dream” moment.

If I ever commute to reserve again I will either buy hotel rooms or get an apartment.

Sitting next to a man wearing boxers and a MAGA hat while watching FOX News wasn’t exactly my “living the dream” moment.

If I ever commute to reserve again I will either buy hotel rooms or get an apartment.
I must have been really lucky, every crashpad I was in people were for the most part cool, easy going, and pretty considerate. I did the apartment thing for about 6 months and it got to be a pain in the butt and I got bummed out realizing how much money I was pouring down the drain.

Yup. I hated my Crashpad experience in ATL. Finish a long day of flying only to hang out with a bunch of random dudes who only wanted to talk about flying. Then you got to spend a whole night wondering if sleep apnea is contagious.

To me, nothing makes a trip go by slower than not working. Not working is cool when you’re somewhere you actually want to be. Atlanta was not that place.

Yea those upgrade times are fairly useless.

MEM75CA routinely goes down to almost one year because it's that bad. 5 years later you still are 90% sitting am reserve waiting to drive 240 at 2:30am to fly to casper, wy.

That’s just called being called for your job, and despite all I hear about day flying at purple, there is no doubt a huge swath has to do those nightly departures out of MEM. The real question is, how much do those reserve 757 guys get called out? Are they flying this every single night?

Back