Morbid curiosity. Upgrade times?

Upgrade times are always changing, but current upgrade times can at least provide a snapshot. Out of morbid curiosity, how long was it before the most junior Captain upgraded at:

1. Delta
2. American
3. United
4. SWA
5. JetBlue
6. Spirit
7. FedEx
8. UPS
9. Alaska
10. Hawaiian

Would be interesting to see this graphed. DOH / Date of first upgrade opportunity
You’re not thinking about doing it all again, again, are you? Just curious.

You’re not thinking about doing it all again, again, are you? Just curious.

No. I made my bed (several times) and now have to sleep in it.

But when there's one outlier where upgrade times are more than double everywhere else, I think applicants need to know about it... and perhaps more importantly unions need to take into consideration recruitment, retention, and lifetime earnings when negotiating contracts in an environment of very lengthy upgrades.

But when there's one outlier where upgrade times are more than double everywhere else, I think applicants need to know about it... and perhaps more importantly unions need to take into consideration recruitment, retention, and lifetime earnings when negotiating contracts in an environment of very lengthy upgrades.
Ah, very good, just checking. And FWIW, I am not criticising your decisionmaking; we only ever do what we think is right in the moment.

Ah, very good, just checking. And FWIW, I am not criticising your decisionmaking; we only ever do what we think is right in the moment.

Nah it's ok. I'm hard enough on myself.
f7e2cf1b5e3dc23d502454578c688a75.jpg

You'll fit right in with us if we're the surviving culture in the merger.
I go back and forth on which one should survive, post-merger, but I also get the distinct impression the vast majority of us will simply shrug and read the Before Start Checklist rather than figuring out who's "real" whatever.

Missed it by less than a dozen numbers this time around. Next time tho…

Congrats to all the new awardees!

I go back and forth on which one should survive, post-merger, but I also get the distinct impression the vast majority of us will simply shrug and read the Before Start Checklist rather than figuring out who's "real" whatever.

That's my intended approach.

and perhaps more importantly unions need to take into consideration recruitment, retention, and lifetime earnings when negotiating contracts in an environment of very lengthy upgrades.
THIS!!!!
Regardless of upgrade times today, we have all seen what happens when a fleet(s), bases, etc. get(s) removed. “What’s good today could be bad tomorrow.” Contracts should have backstops so if pilots get “stuck” in a less than desirable seniority position it isn’t the end of the world, financially. This should be true outside of aviation, think more traditional labor positions.
@ZapBrannigan i feel for you, hopefully the reps in your seniority band understand that it’s going to be awhile before making the transition to a seat that pays more. If my memory serves me correct, UPS pilots did just that within the last bargaining cycle or two. Best of luck with gathering the information then presenting it to your representative. The process can be painful but the industry, as a whole, should take note that these lulls could happen at any property in short order.

I know this is captain obvious, but it’s the lack of wide bodies at SW that I’d assume keeps it close to the 50% mark to be a captain. Alot of these other places have wide bodies where people who have seniority to fly captain, choice to fly wide bodies instead, some for nearly their entire career. The result is seeing folks 75%ish on the global seniority list.

Back