Misrepresentation

[ QUOTE ]
this guy (tomcatter) had the gall to IM me on AIM (remember we posted our AIM addys in the Squawk last week or whenever). Goes on an on about his navy flying,

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious as to what he had to say, Sarah.........

Did anyone else get IM'd from him? It is slightly concerning that he is contacting people (especially a lady) from this site. Becareful when you get IMing fellow JCers and feel free to report anything to Doug, Copa, or any of the other admin. We can track IPs and are the solutions for all problems!!

That is a little creepy that he was iming Sarah. I assume you have banned his IP and not just his username. Not that it's really any of my business but just thought it would be a good thing to do if it hadn't been.

This is a good reminder to everyone that you really don't know what you are getting when it comes to the internet and while you may feel like some one is safe, I personally advise especially the ladies to never hook up with any one here or anywhere on a one-on-one basis. Although....I do have some friends that met on the net and have been married for 3 years now....but you know what I mean.
smile.gif
I recently went to meet some women I had talked to for over 2 years on a parenting board and while I was 99.99% comfortable, I still had Corbin go with me, just in case.

I meet Doug in Victoria station - my chances of being mugged at that point were so high, adding the risk of meeting an internet friend was nominal.

I don't blame Doug. I wouldn't want to meet you in a private, quite secluded location. Good for Doug for going somewhere wide open in the busy public. LOL. (Just kiddin'!)

The IMing incident was *fairly* harmless as far as looking at it from what the conversation went like.

It did start off with him saying he was in the Navy, and I said are you a pilot, to which he corrected me "I'm a naval aviator"

*rolleyes* ok, Top Gun. Strike one there, sport.

He asked if I was the one who got to fly the 767 sim and was asking me about it, said he was jealous of that opportunity. Dude, you fly F-14s (
smirk.gif
), why jealous? We talked about career aspirations after that and the rest of the convo was mostly bs-ing about wx in San Diego vs the midwest and similar topics.

He IMed me on a couple more occasions, but both were in the evening when I was online simply to check email and I didn't have much time to talk.

I've met PLENTY of people from online. Though not ever on a one-on-one basis. In fact a group of us from studentpilot.com from KC all have gotten to know each other quite well - we fly with each other, have get togethers, etc but it all started with that particular online bb. We even had a midwest fly-in to Sikeston, MO (Lamberts!) and had about 15 or so people there from everywhere from Memphis to Kansas City. I've met other people at airshows and other aviation type events. Everyone so far has been extremely cool, 'average-joe' types.

This is really the first time I've had something like this happen to me. I *was* 'semi-stalked' by a persistent emailer a couple years back, and changed my email address as a result. Tip: if you have AOL, having either no profile or a very spartan one (don't say you're single) tend to keep the crazies at bay. But for anyone who wants to know for their own personal information, his AIM handle is posted on that thread in the Squawk. Needless to say it's blocked on my AIM now.

[ QUOTE ]
The IMing incident was *fairly* harmless as far as looking at it from what the conversation went like.

It did start off with him saying he was in the Navy, and I said are you a pilot, to which he corrected me "I'm a naval aviator"

*rolleyes* ok, Top Gun. Strike one there, sport.

He asked if I was the one who got to fly the 767 sim and was asking me about it, said he was jealous of that opportunity. Dude, you fly F-14s (
smirk.gif
), why jealous? We talked about career aspirations after that and the rest of the convo was mostly bs-ing about wx in San Diego vs the midwest and similar topics.

He IMed me on a couple more occasions, but both were in the evening when I was online simply to check email and I didn't have much time to talk.

I've met PLENTY of people from online. Though not ever on a one-on-one basis. In fact a group of us from studentpilot.com from KC all have gotten to know each other quite well - we fly with each other, have get togethers, etc but it all started with that particular online bb. We even had a midwest fly-in to Sikeston, MO (Lamberts!) and had about 15 or so people there from everywhere from Memphis to Kansas City. I've met other people at airshows and other aviation type events. Everyone so far has been extremely cool, 'average-joe' types.

This is really the first time I've had something like this happen to me. For anyone who wants to know for their own personal information, his AIM handle is posted on that thread in the Squawk. Needless to say it's blocked on my AIM now.

[/ QUOTE ]

sbe,

"Naval Aviator", my ass. Most guys I know wouldn't even bother to correct a civilian on that, since it comes off as quite snobby. Sorry you had to deal with such misinformation and fraud. This is but part of the problem I have with posers. Just keep this in mind for the future.

For the record, he won't answer any PMs, he changed is profile and removed the "San Diego" as the location, he changed his e-mail, his IP address was actually showing from Pensacola, FL, whether or not that's actually where he is, he won't address the issue publically, and has seemingly disappeared...........

.................though I know he's reading this thread in between watching re-runs of his Top Gun DVD.

I stand ready to ferret the next one out....

Here's an interesting part of a PM he sent me when I asked about his mission types....

[ QUOTE ]
We are doing a lot of joint training missions along with the F/A18 squadrons. A few things I can distinctly point out would be reconissance / six o'clock surveillance and SAM lookout plus the never ending TRAPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Six o'clock surveillance? WTF kind of specific mission is that? That's something you do on a normal flight, not something you distinctly train to.

So I ask him where he's based and with what unit, and I get this:

[ QUOTE ]
I am at NAS Miramar with VF-31 the TomCatters or Fighting -31 they are expecting a transition from the Cat to the Hornet for our squadron in 2006 or early 2007 .. I am gonna miss the Cats

[/ QUOTE ]

But the absolute best was when I pointed out the fact of Miramar no longer being a Naval Air Station, but being a Marine Air Station since 1997, and the fact that VF-31 was based at Oceana since ALL F-14 units are on the East Coast now......and I get this:

[ QUOTE ]
VF-31 was based out of Oceana and was relocated to Miramar / San Diego.. you need the cat's for the pac-fleet too

[/ QUOTE ]

And that was the last I heard of him.

But I KNOW he is seeing this. Maybe he should IM sbe again and explain all this to her.....

grin.gif
Man those PM's definitly made him look like a poser! Like when he stated this [ QUOTE ]
I am at NAS Miramar with VF-31 the TomCatters or Fighting -31 they are expecting a transition from the Cat to the Hornet for our squadron in 2006 or early 2007 .. I am gonna miss the Cats

[/ QUOTE ]
The key word is THEY ! Which means he was never part of the squadron!!
I hate people who never were or aren't in the military posing themselves military members. The real Navy isn't JAG or Top Gun. I take pride that I've served in the Navy for the past 7 yrs, but with that comes, time away from home and family, and a lot of B.S. There is also a positive side. You can make life long friends, see some cool places and get to do some cool s&%t. The positives outway the negatives in the long run. Don't come on this website possing as someone you are not and never will be! TomCatter commited a federal crime with a lengthy jail sentence. If your reading this, you better watch your back, because there are actual military members on this site and we will turn you in!!!

Speeking of internet fraud...My brother Josh (younger brother) was accused of it. He used to be in the whole 'Virtual Airline-Flight Simulator' world and it wasnt good when they found out. Really he I think meant no harm (he's was 12 at the time) but it was pretty stupid. He could of landed in legal actions to, be careful because it happened to him and he was haraassed for almost a year after he told me. Now he's quite older but I doubt he'll ever engage in such again. To bad for Tomcatter...I could careless for him its his problem and his fault....As far as JT & GiantsFan I doubt there both JT but I guess we'll have to see...

Hi, I'm a Marine pilot flying the Cessna C-130 out Ft. Dix Naval Station in Topeka Kansas. We were doing special ops the other day in Bagdad, when I flew my Piper C-172 inverted over this mosque, and they were shooting rubber bands at me when I shot a SCUD missle at them. I then got in my A-10 Tomcat and hovered above them and...what you don't believe me do you? Ok, then one time...

grin.gif
grin.gif
Sorry I couldn't resist!

[ QUOTE ]
I'm me. I'm not him. JT likes to play pranks and I have to admit he is good at it.

Caught me anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one cares.

I have a hard time believing Tenney--or for that matter, giants_fan--is actually a giants fan.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time believing Tenney--or for that matter, giants_fan--is actually a giants fan.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Its all a big conspiracy man, the government's out to get us.
grin.gif

Since everyone here has chimed in, let me put in my 2 cents. I have to make my mark in the history of Jetcareers.

I am shocked and dismayed that someone would pawn themselves as being something they are not. As MikeD has written, it is a slap in the face for all those who have worked tirelessly in order to properly earn an alphabet soup at the end of their name.

As an aspiring airline pilot (how hackneyed are those words on this board?), I would take a person offense if anyone said they had hours, experience, or a title which they did not earn.

I am trying my darndest to get my commerical and all the flight hours I can get. I am networking like crazy, so I can have an infastructure in place once I get all my ratings, to gain employment. For a quiet, introverted, person like me that is no small task.

If someone decides to circumvent all that and just start calling themselves Captain (aside from a nickname) and bragging about all the Platus time they have, they have just marginalized all the work I have done(and others who have actually made it).

I also want to pick out CitationBoy here, but not to belittle him in any shape or form. I have been following the thread in which people have accused him of misrepresentating himself. I feel he has been nothing but honest about his flying time. Some of hours may seem a little incredible to many of us, but if he has connections to people who have the right ratings and who own the aircraft I can see how he can have the amount of time he has. Still doesn't make me any less jealous though!
wink.gif

Before I leave: Kriste, how's my grammah? Sorry, I had to get my Boston accent in there.
tongue.gif

Back to writing papers, resumes, and cover letters. Anyone care to proof my cover letter or resume? ... didn't think so.
cool.gif

Grammah? Grammah? One frozen yo-gut with jimmies and wheres da bubblah?

Oh yah, down deyah buy coppley squa-yah!

Oh man, wicked stupid I sound.

Back