Might as well move to the Lav Now (Pop the Popcorn Out)

Well if he's doing it to get hired there, it's definitely not a good idea. Thats paying for a job.

I wouldn't touch it. If it has wings and sounds too good to be true, it certainly is.

Why is it so much worse if he works there after? I'm not baiting an argument or anything here I'm just not seeing why it's paying for a job. Isn't it like an internship?

NTSB Report

To me the test is this:

Are you a required crewmember either by regulation, are you required by the insurance company, or are you required by the paying customer.

In all three cases somebody is not getting a paying job.

I know a guy that did the Amflight SIC program, with about 1100 total and 300 hours of "Turbine PIC" no airline will hire him.

He was logging that as TPIC?

Yeah freakin' right.

It's SIC time.

Why is it so much worse if he works there after? Isn't it like an internship?

It's not like an internship because interns either actually get paid or at the minimum don't have to pay to get there. The problem with actually working there in the future is it sets a precedent where you have to PAY to be hired there. It's sort of the same reason that I don't like the RJ "certificate" programs that a lot of places were running during the hiring boom last year. Some companies wouldn't take qualified applicants unless they'd paid for an RJ certificate course. Hence people were in a sense, paying for a job by going to the program.

Why is it so much worse if he works there after? I'm not baiting an argument or anything here I'm just not seeing why it's paying for a job. Isn't it like an internship?

I don't know of any internships you pay to participate in.

He was logging that as TPIC?

Yeah freakin' right.

It's SIC time.

Maybe he was under the impression (due to Eaglejet) that he could log the 91 time PIC. Well that couldn't be if the person was flying with me because I would be logging the time as PIC. ;)

Had a guy with "300 hours of ME PIC" with less than 600 TT from CASW interview for a CFI job. He had just gotten his CFI certs after not being able to get a job elsewhere. Hired a CFI from ATP that had less hours but more experience. Being deadweight in a 135 op really isnt an experience building job.

Maybe he was under the impression (due to Eaglejet) that he could log the 91 time PIC. Well that couldn't be if the person was flying with me because I would be logging the time as PIC. ;)
Bingo

The guy has interviewed at Skywest, Express, Comair, ASA, Mesaba, and Pinnacle as far as I know, probably a few others. All before the recent hiring boom stopped.

Nobody would hire him

Turbine in what aircraft? Is a type required or just multi?

Just a multi.

The only people who really ever benefit from this type of ploy are foreigners who's respective aviation governing agencies and air carriers consider this time legitimate.

Turbine in what aircraft? Is a type required or just multi?

Probably a Beech 99, if not that then a 1900 or a Metro.

Either way, even with a Beech 99 you can't log PIC time when I can tell you for a fact, and without a doubt, that the folks that go through the FO program only get a part 135 SIC ride and there are not a ton of part 91 legs in the system, not enough to have 300 hours worth of PIC time.

Indeed the FAA would probably be mighty pissed if they found out that an MEI was giving dual on a revenue generating part 135 leg. Remember when you're in the 135 world you don't even use your CFI certificates, you're riding on a 135.340 ride and that's what gives you authorization to give the instruction.

Probably a Beech 99, if not that then a 1900 or a Metro.

Either way, even with a Beech 99 you can't log PIC time when I can tell you for a fact, and without a doubt, that the folks that go through the FO program only get a part 135 SIC ride and there are not a ton of part 91 legs in the system, not enough to have 300 hours worth of PIC time.

You're confusing me. Are you saying that he can't log any PIC time, or that he can't have logged 300 hours?

Do you need a type for a 99, 1900, or Metro?

You need a type in a 1900 and a Metro, not in a 99.

The program is setup so that you buy chunks of hours. 100 hours, 250 hours, 500 hours, 1000 hours, etc. If a person has 1,100 total time, and 300 "TPIC" in a Beech 99 by sitting in the right seat, it means they probably bought 300 hours in the Beech 99. If that's the case, then almost all of that time is going to be spent on part 135 legs, where they can only log SIC on the legs.

The only situation where one of these cats could log PIC could be on part 91 legs, which within the Amflight system there are few legs like this. There are not enough legs for an SIC to get 300 hours of TPIC when they have 1,100 total time. Just a guess, but you'd have to fly well over a thousand hours in JUST the Beech 99 to even approach this, and even then I think it'd be nearly impossible.

This isn't a part 91 vs. 135 vs. 121 way of logging things and there's no confusion over what's logable; this guy simply isn't logging his time correctly if he logged his time with Amflight as PIC time.

Is it:

"...this guy simply isn't logging his time correctly if he logged any of his time with Amflight as PIC time."

or;

"...this guy simply isn't logging his time correctly if he logged all of his time with Amflight as PIC time.

:confused:

Back