Miami Center

mjk5020

I have been selected for a ZMA slot and just waiting on the FOL and Academy date.

i was just wondering if anybody could confrim or debunk the rumors at miami center. i always hear that nobody gets trained there and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. if anybody has any info it would be much appreciated. thanks

I have been selected for a ZMA slot and just waiting on the FOL and Academy date.

i was just wondering if anybody could confrim or debunk the rumors at miami center. i always hear that nobody gets trained there and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. if anybody has any info it would be much appreciated. thanks

I've heard and read that there is huge backlog in training and that in some cases, it has taken trainees a year just to start training. That is only what I've heard. Don't how true it is. You might want to do some research.

im in the same boat, got selected for miami center and tol, just waiting on fol and class date. I asked my interviewer at the NY PEPC, a manager at miami center, about some of the rumors I had been hearing about the training backlog. He said its true, you might have to wait a little while initially, but they catch u up very quickly, and everyone is still checking out within a 3year time frame. And as far as sitting around doing nothing, thats just sensationalism. While while waiting for classes you should be learning the airspace studying etc., if you do nothing you will get nothing. If you want to succeed there go in with a positive attitude, make friends, act like like wanna learn, don't be the trainee thats always sitting in the break room playing video games.lol I should be going to tour the facility with some of my other friends who are interested in miami center this weekend so ill try to talk to some of the trainees there and get their perspective.

Pretty much this is all true info. I have at least 3 colleagues (other ATCers) kids who have been at Miami Center for 2 - 3 years, and all are having trouble getting through the process b/c they are so backed up and unorganized.

I've worked at Miami Center for the last 2 years as a remote pilot for the training dept. It was my top choice for a facility and got my TOL back in July. Yes there has been a huge backlog in the training as long as I've been there.. people being A-sides for a year and a half.. but they're finally caught up and have made a lot of changes for the next class coming in. Its kinda been in an upheaval.. but it seems to be getting better.

One thing I have noticed is there's 2 types of trainees that come into that facility. There are the trainees who come in completely prepared for the level of facility they are entering. They work hard, learn from mistakes, and use every opportunity to become better controllers. Then we have the "whiners".. Nothing is up to their satisfaction level. Nothing is their fault. And every chance they get are griping and filing grievances.. and generally these are the weaker/struggling students.

So little word of advice... It's a tough facility, and the work load can be insane, but you have to be prepared for that coming in. Work hard, study your ass off, and focus on how you can keep making yourself better. You should succeed.

That and the instructors there like candy.. buy em lots of candy.

Guess I'll see you guys around then :)

Probably! I'm assuming we'd all end up in the same class since I know they like to keep people going to the same facility grouped together. As of right now I wonder how many of us there are with our TOL's for ZMA and waiting on a class date and FOL..

Are you guys referring to the EnRoute Center only? or does this apply to the Tower too? I'm also interested in getting a position down here in South Florida, I'm in Pompano Beach...

As far as I know we are talking about the Miami En Route center. Most if not all of us are waiting for a FOL to go to the academy.

What made you guys decide to choose Enroute over Tower?

When they asked my Geo-Preferences and if I preferred enroute or terminal I picked FL & CO, and both.. sooo Miami ARTCC was what I got.. But I'm thrilled with that since I'm familiar with all the airspace I'd be working and have a pretty good feel for the facility itself. It's challenging enough to not be bored, but not so daunting that you'd be scared to go to work everyday. All in all a good fit for me! :D

Besides that, another big plus for me is variety. ZMA's airspace extends from Orlando to Puerto Rico. Has everything from Oceanic non-radar, to military warning areas, to sky-diving vfr traffic and everything in-between. If I'm potentially looking at 25+ years at a facility its refreshing to know not one day at work will be the same if I have mobility to move between different sectors and areas or even TMU. If I'm in a tower, yea I get to look outside and see airplanes.. but the daily operations seem more limited.

I'm also hoping to get a position in South Florida, I'm not sure if I should go with Tower or EnRoute, any advice guys?:) I think Enroute would be more interesting but also more challenging...

I wouldn't say that, no. Depends on the facility. And obviously I don't have actual controller experience at either. If you apply to terminal you could end up getting a small level 6 tower or a level 12 tracon with a 70% washout rate. With centers I think it ranges from levels 10-12 so you pretty much no what you're getting into and it won't be a cake-job.
I think the Miami up-down would be a pretty good gig, because you have a chance to work tower or radar.. but I hear it probably won't be an up-down much longer. Have you applied yet?

I'm also hoping to get a position in South Florida, I'm not sure if I should go with Tower or EnRoute, any advice guys?:) I think Enroute would be more interesting but also more challenging...

Well, there are multiple considerations:
1) Ability to move: easier with terminal. Sounds like when you go en-route, then you'll be stuck there for the rest of your career. With terminal, you should have ample opportunity to move up to a larger tower or tracon.

2) CPC pay (certified prof controller): probably higher at an en-route since most of these facilities are level 11/12.

3) Time to checkout: Much longer with en-route. According to http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/controller_staffing/media/CWP_2008.pdf, the time to checkout on en-route is 3.1 years, and terminal is 1.9 years. (many smaller terminals are even shorter, from 6-18 months OJT + 3 months OKC) Keep in mind that the quicker you checkout, the quicker you attain CPC rate.

4) Background check: The security form for en-route (SF86) is more thorough than terminal (SF85). You may want to compare these forms if you have something in your history. (for example, sf86 asks if you have ever seen a mental health professional, while sf85 does not ask this)

5) Ease on trainees: As many have stated, en-route centers are designed to bring a trainee through training to CPC. Large terminals and tracons are not designed for this, so washout rates could be high if you get stuck at one of these terminals.

Besides that, another big plus for me is variety. ZMA's airspace extends from Orlando to Puerto Rico. Has everything from Oceanic non-radar, to military warning areas, to sky-diving vfr traffic and everything in-between. If I'm potentially looking at 25+ years at a facility its refreshing to know not one day at work will be the same if I have mobility to move between different sectors and areas or even TMU. If I'm in a tower, yea I get to look outside and see airplanes.. but the daily operations seem more limited.

I work at the non-radar facility that works all traffic over the atlantic ocean ZMA has no ownership over non radar traffic. Once they hit a check point and are out of radar contact they call us on HF (High frequency radio). And at that point ZNY takes ownership of these flights. Just for an fyi.

Back