Miami Center

So I have an family friend who works at NY TRACON and he's on the verge of retiring. I'm interested in Terminal ONLY and will be putting down FL & GA as my preferences...but then thought that would limit me. I asked him about moving around he pretty much said that moving around years ago was pretty common and not to say it doesn't happen now, but it's less common. With that in mind, he said pick a place and the route you truly think you'll enjoy doing b/c the job gets stressful (whichever route you take) and you're not going to last very long if you going to work everyday doing something you didn't really want to do (being in a dark en route bldg doing "complex work" vs. a tower with windows doing "so called boring" work or arrivals & departures in the same air space). :)

I work at the non-radar facility that works all traffic over the atlantic ocean ZMA has no ownership over non radar traffic. Once they hit a check point and are out of radar contact they call us on HF (High frequency radio). And at that point ZNY takes ownership of these flights. Just for an fyi.

Actually, if I'm correct there are a few specific sectors at ZMA that have oceanic non-radar traffic below specific altitudes. The radar coverage has been continually growing especially over the last few years but it exists within the ZMA air space.. also there are some approaches, for example MYGF (freeport, bahamas) that lie with-in ZMA's airspace that are non-radar below 6000 feet, so there are aircraft that a Miami Center controller is working that may be "non-radar" until they reach that altitude, and thus Miami's airspace...

But you're right when you say that there is no airspace controlled by ZMA that is ENTIRELY non-radar, unless it happens to go out, but that's not that common.. but non-radar traffic exists with-in..

If I'm wrong though, correct me.

(being in a dark en route bldg doing "complex work" vs. a tower with windows doing "so called boring" work or arrivals & departures in the same air space). :)

I thought about the whole "working in a dark cave" vs. being able to see outside all day when I was taking which route to go into consideration too.. but then I got to a center and saw you're only at the scope in the dark cave 2 hours at a time. You can go out and get as much fresh air as you want throughout the work day if you need.

But I'm not saying the work at a center is more interesting than a tower.. but I do happen to find it pretty intense and interesting.

What about what current controllers say about trying to stay away from higher level facilities (11, 12) when you first start your training, is this really a good way to start?

Only place I never want to work again is a Tower. Just not my thing standing in a fish bowl all day.

What about what current controllers say about trying to stay away from higher level facilities (11, 12) when you first start your training, is this really a good way to start?

From what I understand, you only need to avoid level 11/12 terminals (and perhaps 9 & 10). Esp. the busiest tracons like atlanta or ny tracon.

A level 12 ARTCC should be fine since they are designed for trainees.

i just started training last week at atl tower and they have it set up very nicely for trainees from what i can tell, and nearly everyone who starts t checks out. they will do whatever they can to help you succeed.

it was back in the older days when the high towers had the 60-70% washout rate, my trainers were telling me about it

i just started training last week at atl tower and they have it set up very nicely for trainees from what i can tell, and nearly everyone who starts t checks out. they will do whatever they can to help you succeed.

it was back in the older days when the high towers had the 60-70% washout rate, my trainers were telling me about it

That's comforting to know! I want to pick GA but I was afraid of what everyone was saying about ATL

I had considered Miami Center too but looked at the cost for apartments/condos and decided against it. Is there a good area to live near the center that isn't so expensive? Is Miami still short staffed and on the critically manned facility list?

There isn't anywhere near the center that is a good place to live. Its close to MIA Airport and in area thats not very good (more of an industrial warehouse type area). The only good places to live here wouldn't be affordable till you're CPC and with traffic you'd be pretty far away.

I've heard from a supervisor there that they're getting alot of people requesting Miami because they think they'll live the south beach life only to realize that they can't afford to live down here and that they don't like the "culture" in the areas they end up having to live in.

I'd say either hollywood or pembroke pines is your best bet if your going to work at miami center or tower. I drive from p pines to mdc college which is blocks from the center all the time. The drive is not bad its all highway driving with no traffic about a 15min drive. Rush hour is another story but im pretty sure they start the shifts specifically around rush hour so people dont have to deal with all the traffic. Not to mention your shifts are rotating so youll probly have some good days as well as bad. As far as apartments you can find 1 bdrms for about 800-1100 which isn't cheap but would be doable until u start making decent money. Obviously if you could find a roomate or live with a friend or have a spouse it would be much more affordable. 2bdrms go for 1200-1500 and pembroke pines is a very nice, quiet area, and everything is newly developed for the most part.

Don't listen to that vtec guy, I am not sure if he knows what he is talking about :)

I live in Pem. Pines and I don't see anything "that VTEC guy" said that wasn't true. S. FL isn't exactly the most affordable place around...and like everywhere else, you'll get what you pay for. Maybe Pem. Pines isn't the most "posh" area, but it's better than some of the other places around it and isn't that far from MIA airport.

I know, I was just messing with VTEC. He is right. South Florida ain't cheap no matter which way you slice it. I live in Hollywood BTW.

So I called both the MIA Tracon and ZMA and the Tracon says they don't "really" do tours...whatever that means! ZMA says they don't really do tours either except for "job purposes." DUH! She's like, "Are you interested in possibly working here?"

"NO! I just have nothing else better to do all day except call all my local airports and see who'll give me a tour!" (I didn't say that, just thinking it) I told her I'm in the process of being hired and was interested in touring a facility that I may possibly work at.

Point is, she took my info. and said someone will give me a call back but I doubt they will. :mad:

Just a quick note on touring ZMA. The ZMA manager I interviewed with gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him a few weeks a fter the NYC PEPC to schedule a tour. I have yet to call him because I wanted to wait for all the PEPCs to complete. I am not going to release any of his information BUT perhaps when I do call to schedule it maybe some of the other ZMA TOL people could, if interested, attend also?

One other note... he gave me a contact number for PBI tower as well just as a bonus tour. I'd propbably do that one as well. He said he's "got" people there.

Just a quick note on touring ZMA. The ZMA manager I interviewed with gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him a few weeks a fter the NYC PEPC to schedule a tour. I have yet to call him because I wanted to wait for all the PEPCs to complete. I am not going to release any of his information BUT perhaps when I do call to schedule it maybe some of the other ZMA TOL people could, if interested, attend also?

One other note... he gave me a contact number for PBI tower as well just as a bonus tour. I'd propbably do that one as well. He said he's "got" people there.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong...don't you want to see a place BEFORE deciding whether you want to work there or not?! At the time of the TOL/PEPC...when you're offered ZMA, it's kinda late at the point if you DON'T like the place. I mean, given all the rumors I've heard about the place, it'd be nice to know if they're true or not. Who wants to wait around a whole year to begin training?! Not I!

You know what facility you're chosen for before you go to PEPC. Its up to you to make the decision to accept the PEPC invite. If you get make it to yiur facility and don't like it, then you're just going to have transfer if/when you're able to. This job process isn't full of choices.

Like I've said on earlier posts in different threads, I'm just happy to have made it this far.

Back