Mesaba Announces Furloughs....

CRJDriver

XJ MEMO #09-40
TO: All pilots
SUBJECT: Upcoming staffing changes

As we announced earlier this month, Delta Air Lines has decided to reduce our Saab fleet by ten aircraft beginning this September. This reduction, along with Delta’s plans for diminished capacity this fall, will significantly impact Mesaba’s operation, and we must adjust our business plan.
As a result, Mesaba will be furloughing approximately 100 to 110 pilots. The first furloughs will start in August and continue into the fall. Mesaba will also displace approximately 65 to 75 Saab captains. Displaced pilots will be able to bid for a new position based on their seniority. These staffing reductions are based on our current fleet plan and projected aircraft utilization. If further changes occur, the staffing plan will be revised. The staffing reductions did assume the use of Time Off Without Pay (TOWOP) as well as Half-Time Lines (HTL), based on the recent Letter Of Agreement (LOA).
Today’s announcement is not an easy one to make, but it is a reality of our industry’s current economic challenges. A voluntary furlough notice will be posted today. If you have any questions, please contact your Chief Pilot or myself.

XXXX
Director Flight Operations
Mesaba Airlines

Just road on a Mesaba flight from RHI-MSP today... Very junior captain. Great crews from what I could tell. Very sad to see :(

Sad news indeed.

So am I reading this right, that a 10 airplane reduction equals a reduction of 100 pilots and an additional 65 displacements??? That seems high to me.

Just road on a Mesaba flight from RHI-MSP today... Very junior captain. Great crews from what I could tell. Very sad to see :(

Sad indeed. There are going to be some CFI's out of work with no openings to go to. Mesaba cleaned out my previous FBO of instructors when they were in the up swing of hiring.

Anyone have an idea of the hire date this goes back to?

Sad indeed. There are going to be some CFI's out of work with no openings to go to. Mesaba cleaned out my previous FBO of instructors when they were in the up swing of hiring.

Anyone have an idea of the hire date this goes back to?

110 pilots furloughed puts it in the middle of the Sept '08 Class and reduces the list to 1042.

Pretty much if you are a CA above 630 seniority you will be an FO and if you are an FO above 1042 you will be looking for work.

Thank god ASA traded 20 50 seaters to get 10 900's. That has caused carnage at COMAIR and XJ now!

110 pilots furloughed puts it in the middle of the Sept '08 Class and reduces the list to 1042.

Pretty much if you are a CA above 630 seniority you will be an FO and if you are an FO above 1042 you will be looking for work.

Thank god ASA traded 20 50 seaters to get 10 900's. That has caused carnage at COMAIR and XJ now!

Will anyone get displaced from the CRJ's down to the SAAB?

Will anyone get displaced from the CRJ's down to the SAAB?
The other way around. The most Junior people are mostly 900 FO's so the displaced CA's will go to the 900 where they will hold the best lines. The most junior 900 FO's are going to be hitting trails and the party is over for the current 900 FO's. Saab fleet is shinking so people will be leaving the saab.

Basically half of the furloughs will come from the CRJ 900 and half from the Saab. There are only 4 900 FO's on the top half of the list. There are potentially only 14 900 FO's senior to the most senior 'projected' SF CA displacement. So most of the displaced CA's will push the mid seniority 900 FO's down.

Basically if you are a:
MEM 900 FO and not bidding 10 or higher you will be reserve
MSP 900 FO and not bidding 35 or higher you could be on reserve
DTW 900 FO and not bidding 35 or higher you could be on reserve

Just food for thought..........:(

Many that are going to be furloughed are furloughed from other airlines plus they already had to give up their seniority there..... sucks. Probably not the last round of furloughs this year. Mesa and Skywest said they might furlough.

Damn! I feel like we are all in a toilet bowl going round and round. Sorry Mesaba pilots. I considered interviewing in September '08 but decided not to. I feel for that guy that left Colgan's class in October '08 right before going to the Sims to take the Mesaba offer. :(

Got a phone call from an old buddy of mine who was furloughed from PSA last fall who managed to get hired by Mesaba last December. He's #77.

Really sucks. Sorry guys.

Yep this totally sucks. BUT, I cant say that I didnt see it coming. As it stands this furlough wont effect me, but I will be at the bottom (even more) of the list. Thats ok, Im blesssed to even have a job right now.

Got a phone call from an old buddy of mine who was furloughed from PSA last fall who managed to get hired by Mesaba last December. He's #77.

Really sucks. Sorry guys.

Thus the reason I told all my fellow PSA guys to not go to XJ.... :( I had a few DAL friends tell me I was crazy.... Not pointing fingers but I'm very grateful I did not go :(...

Back