Mesaba Announces Furloughs....

Thank god ASA traded 20 50 seaters to get 10 900's. That has caused carnage at COMAIR and XJ now!

Please enlighten us.

The carnage at COMAIR & XJ (the former's which is far, far worse than that of XJ and started way before ASA got the 900s) is not caused by not getting 10 planes but by being wholly-owned.

If anything XJ has caused "carnage" at ASA by underbidding, understaffing and undertraining former ASA stations. Once great stations are now run by XJ ground crews that have turned them into a complete mess, putting many ASA people out of work.

Good luck to everybody out there

Please enlighten us.
If anything XJ has caused "carnage" at ASA by underbidding, understaffing and undertraining former ASA stations. Once great stations are now run by XJ ground crews that have turned them into a complete mess, putting many ASA people out of work.

Wow thats an amazing statement. Haven't been to these stations but it seems that regional whipsawing involves rampers as well. Work at one company for a couple years. Switch the company. Rehire same employees.

Next thing you will be telling me is how Mesaba is taking "your" flying with less paid guys and comparing ASA's shiny contract to Mesaba's concessionary contract. If you are ASA get over it all regionals suck. Companies are only good to employees when it is convenient.

PS My regional is better than yours. Insert Sarcasm tag here

Wow thats an amazing statement. Haven't been to these stations but it seems that regional whipsawing involves rampers as well. Work at one company for a couple years. Switch the company. Rehire same employees.

Next thing you will be telling me is how Mesaba is taking "your" flying with less paid guys and comparing ASA's shiny contract to Mesaba's concessionary contract. If you are ASA get over it all regionals suck. Companies are only good to employees when it is convenient.

It is true that ASA lost at least 19 stations due to the low cost of Mesaba. We never even got a chance to bid for a contract. From reading the ASA's RIF's at those stations manned by Mesaba, I'd say that the people are not trained to their best potential.

Please, let's not turn this into a "my regional is less crappy than your regional" thread. Although, we're about due for one of those.

Joe, if you flip you epaulets upside down, I will find you in the airport and punch you in the face. :)

I'm still amazed we call certain stations OURS, and certain FLYING OURS. Last I checked the flying attached to my plane said, "USairways" and whatever they want to do with it they can. Much like last time I checked the XJ, 9e, Compass, and ASA birds all had "Delta" name attached to them much like the stations. It sucks folks. But airlines are trying to survive. IF XJ could do the job and do it cheaper, its all part of the cost SAVINGS program we are all trying to do. I was just in RHI and it was an XJ crew and they were nothing but PROFESSIONAL and did a great job. I have no complaints at all. Now I was in TRI last night and heard a guy saying he's getting furloughed/laid off. It all sucks, but again like Steve said lets not get into the my regional is better then your regional. Or the OUR flying when next to the DAL/UAL/CAL it says express/connection etc. Because the last time I checked that flying ISNT any of ours but its mainlines to do with it as they please.

Yup, us Mesaba pilots actually had the final say on ground service contracts at outstations, I'm proud to say... I also personally had the final say as to the fate of the ATRs, I told 'em it'd be better to put the Saab on the HHH route, just 'cuz. You can thank me for that.

:)sarcasm: if you're that dense)

It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that DAL combined all wholly-owned subsidiary ground ops into a single, separate entity. One that is all in-house.

Who runs the ground ops at D27-D31 in ATL? Serious question.

Please enlighten us.

The carnage at COMAIR & XJ (the former's which is far, far worse than that of XJ and started way before ASA got the 900s) is not caused by not getting 10 planes but by being wholly-owned.

Good luck to everybody out there
Well it won't matter anyways since it will all be handled by RHS. Delta is putting serious control over regional line handling.

He mesaba guys, sorry to hear this. The sad thing is is that if this merger never would have happened you guys would still be in super growth mode at NWA because it was your turn. I wish we could go back to that, everytime i go to work i see less and less red tails and it depresses me.

He mesaba guys, sorry to hear this. The sad thing is is that if this merger never would have happened you guys would still be in super growth mode at NWA because it was your turn. I wish we could go back to that, everytime i go to work i see less and less red tails and it depresses me.

But it's still NWA metal under there. ;)

RD

. The sad thing is is that if this merger never would have happened you guys would still be in super growth mode at NWA because it was your turn.

Super growth mode to where? The only way any regional would be growing right now is if their mainline partner or onther regionals were shrinking rapidly. If you meant mainline would be in super growth mode, I seriously doubt any legacy would be doing that.

Ugh, this is not what I want to hear. A lot of our CFI's went to XJ. Hopefully they'll be ok...

RD

But it's still NWA metal under there. ;)

RD

If you look close enough on some of those Pinnacle RJs, you might even still see NWA :) I had one the other day that actually had a BUG painted into the airplane. At least shoo the things away before you spray the thing down.

ASA has lost 19 stations so far this year. Many of these stations were staffed with people that had experience. Not just JUST the rampers. Most of the stations now are a complete mess. Today I've seen,

• GPU hooked up but the ground crew didn't now how to turn it on,
  • a tug driver come within 3 inches of driving into the wing,
  • a computer go down which required the ticket agent to manually do her paperwork which resulted in a 45 minute boarding process because she said she didn't know how to do it,
  • cargo door not closed completely,
  • nobody around to pass our paperwork to,
all in one turn.

The strategy was what you said; change the company, rehire the same company. Unfortunately that is something new here and most of the employees didn't go over. Delta only allowed ASA to train the new stations for 2 days. After that they got support from their own company, which entailed a box of binders and instruction manuals. (this I've witnessed)

I'm sure the same stragety will be used from here out. But there is a difference between stations that have experience people and those that are full of new people.

Also, I didn't say anything about XJ taking ASA flying. Where on earth did you get that from? Walter blamed ASA for the "carnage" at XJ and COMAIR. All I wanted was to know how and I'm pointing out that the it's not just XJ suffering said "carnage"

Back