Mesa to merge with ACA

You are all correct of course.

The problem is figuring out how much I made, since I paid a different price every two weeks for the stock. I suppose I'll just have to average it.

By the way, stock sales show up on a 1099-MISC as a gross figure. They don't tell you how much you paid!

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is figuring out how much I made, since I paid a different price every two weeks for the stock. I suppose I'll just have to average it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that using an average cost to compute your gains is an acceptable method. Again, check with the IRS to be sure. After all, they're free and an accountant will cost you money.

An Accountant? A starving regional pilot? Are you crazy?

LOL kidding
smile.gif

The second salvo has been fired.

---

Mesa seeks control of Atlantic's board
Tuesday October 14, 6:59 pm ET

NEW YORK, Oct 14 (Reuters) - Mesa Air Group Inc.(NasdaqNM:MESA - News) said on Tuesday it would seek to take control of Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings Inc.'s(NasdaqNM:ACAI - News) board, after the rival airline failed to respond to Mesa's unsolicited $494 million takeover offer.

Mesa, based in Phoenix, said in a statement it had filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (News - Websites) to nominate seven directors to Atlantic Coast's nine-member board.

Should shareholders approve the slate, the new directors would be able to remove the company's takeover defenses and begin negotiations on Mesa's offer to acquire the Dulles, Virginia-based airline.

Based on current valuations, Mesa's offer values Atlantic Coast at $10.89 per share in stock.

Atlantic Coast, which previously said only that it was reviewing the unsolicited offer, did not return a call seeking comment on Tuesday.

"We are disappointed that we have not received a response from ACA management or its board of directors to our October 6 letter outlining an acquisition proposal," said Jonathan Ornstein, Mesa Air's chairman and chief executive. "Accordingly, we are taking steps to give ACA shareholders the opportunity to replace existing directors with those who are committed to fairly considering our offer or a similarly attractive alternative."

Mesa said it must gain the written consent of 50.1 percent of Atlantic Coast's shareholders to call a vote on the board. Atlantic Coast would be able to set the record date determining which shareholders would be able to vote on the nominees -- an important factor because the company's shares have been heavily traded since the takeover offer was announced on October 6.

Should it win the board control, Mesa said it also intends to start an exchange offer for all outstanding shares of Atlantic Coast and to deliver a draft merger agreement to Atlantic's board.

Atlantic Coast shares fell 23 cents, or 1.8 percent, to close at $12.45 on Tuesday while Mesa Air shares fell 5 cents to $12.10.

Presuming he's dead-set on the acquisition, JO's got little choice, what with ACA's stock now trading well above the offer level.

However, I suspect ACA's board has been busy drafting up a poison pill--since, by their own admission, they're not particularly takeover-proof.

Here is the ACA response. I've seen in an analyst article speculation that ACA may take cash on hand and distribute it to stockholders as a dividend. This would make the price of stock rise beyond JO's ability to buy it. Additionally, there are other rumors that I can't talk about here.
==
ACA PRESS RELEASE

Advises Stockholders to Take No Action at This Time in Response to Mesa’s Exchange Offer

Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings, Inc. (“ACA”) (Nasdaq: ACAI), advised its stockholders to take no action at this time in response to Mesa Air Group, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: MESA) announcement that it intends to commence an unsolicited exchange offer for all the outstanding shares of ACA and a consent solicitation to ACA’s stockholders. ACA’s Board of Directors, consistent with its fiduciary duties and in consultation with its financial advisor and legal counsel, will meet in due course to review and discuss Mesa's exchange offer and thereafter will advise stockholders of its position regarding the offer.

About Atlantic Coast Airlines

ACA currently operates as United Express and Delta Connection in the Eastern and Midwestern United States as well as Canada. The company also operates charter flights as ACA Private Shuttle. ACA has a fleet of 146 aircraft—including 118 jets—and offers over 830 daily departures, serving 84 destinations.

On July 28, 2003, ACA announced it anticipates that its longstanding relationship with United Airlines will end, and that it will establish a new, independent low-fare airline to be based at Washington Dulles International Airport.

Atlantic Coast Airlines employs over 4,800 aviation professionals. The common stock of Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings, Inc. is traded on the Nasdaq National Market under the symbol ACAI. For more information about ACA, visit our website at www.atlanticcoast.com.

Additional Information

Prior to any request for the stockholders of Atlantic Coast Airlines to take any action with respect to the Mesa proposal, appropriate filings shall be made with the SEC, which filings may include proxy statements, a Schedule TO and/or a Schedule 14D-9. These filings will contain important information about the Mesa proposal and ACA’s position regarding the Mesa proposal. You are urged to read them carefully before taking any action or making any decision with respect to the Mesa proposal. You will be able to obtain the documents when they become available free of charge at the website maintained by the SEC at www.sec.gov. In addition, you may obtain documents filed with the SEC by ACA free of charge by requesting them in writing from Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings, Inc., 45200 Business Court, Dulles, VA 20166, Attention: Director, Corporate Communications.

In the event that proxy statements are ultimately filed by ACA, ACA and certain of its directors and executive officers may be deemed to be participants in the solicitation of proxies. A detailed list of the names of ACA's directors and executive officers is contained in ACA's proxy statement for its 2003 annual meeting, which may be obtained without charge at the website maintained by the SEC's at www.sec.gov.

Forward Looking Statement

Statements in this press release and by company executives regarding the proposal received by the Company from Mesa Air Group, Inc. and other matters may contain forward-looking information about the Company. A number of risks and uncertainties exist which could cause the Company's actual performance to differ materially from information provided by the Company or its executives. These risks and uncertainties include, among others, the costs of reviewing and responding to the unsolicited offer and consent solicitation, and other impacts of the offer on the Company's operations. Other risks and uncertainties relating to the Company's business and operations include those referred to in the Company's report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2003.

Well ... this is going to get much uglier before it gets better.

I hope ACA fights 'em off. No company should ever have to go through a hostile takeover. And when the hell did we time warp back to the '80s?

Well, seems like ACA's stock is ballooning well past JO's original offer such that the shareholders would have to be gooped up on gop to take it. Lessee... I'll take my $12.45 per share, give it to you and you'll give me $10.94 per share for it... except, you won't, because all I'll have is Mesa stock, which I'm sure will have a trade timer on it such that I can't turn around and liquidate it immediately, so I'm hostage to your stock for X days...

Go forth and pound sand, I say.

I still hold to my original guns... Anyone who owns enough stock to have a controlling interest in ACA and hasn't done their homework about Mesa should be drawn and quartered.

... But you know, those are just my opinions. <grin>

Paul

Back