Mesa getting into the 737 game?

So we’ve been hearing from some reliable people that AA is going to begin removing Eagle flying from Mesa. Beginning with the 900s that AA owns.

The problem with that theory is AA isn't listed as the owner of any the Mesa's CRJ-900s. Mesa owns 48 of their 64 CRJ-900s. The other 16 are leased, but all of them were acquired years before the AA/US merger was announced (2004-2005 timeframe) and are listed under the usual GECAS/Bombardier trustees.

Now, Mesa is under notice from AA regarding poor performance (hence losing two CRJ-900s off contract and their being used by Mesa as spares now in all white colors), but if AA owned the planes they would have ended up elsewhere so I doubt AA controls any of the leased Mesa birds.

The problem with that theory is AA isn't listed as the owner of any the Mesa's CRJ-900s. Mesa owns 48 of their 64 CRJ-900s. The other 16 are leased, but all of them were acquired years before the AA/US merger was announced (2004-2005 timeframe) and are listed under the usual GECAS/Bombardier trustees.

Now, Mesa is under notice from AA regarding poor performance (hence losing two CRJ-900s off contract and their being used by Mesa as spares now in all white colors), but if AA owned the planes they would have ended up elsewhere so I doubt AA controls any of the leased Mesa birds.

It has been confirmed that AA controls the leases to 16 of them. This is far from new information. And these 16 are supposedly slated to be transferred to PSA along with 4 additional from another source so that PSA can retire the remaining 200s faster without shrinking the fleet.

They have always said that they have 2 goals that specifically affect PSA. 1) AA wants to continue to move flying from the contract regionals to the 3 WOs. 2) They foresee PSA as a fleet of 150+ dual class RJs. That means in addition to the CRJ200s we are parking this year, they have to park the remaining 200s while also growing the dual-class fleet. And if they want to accelerate the time frame for that goal that means we will likely hear something soon about it.

The way I’ve heard the “big picture” plan going is that AA transfers 16 CRJ900s to PSA from Mesa. And as the remainder of the flying comes off contract it will be replaced with 175s at Envoy while Envoy transfers 145s to Piedmont to continue their growth in the east coast hubs. Something something Compass and LAX too. But that rumors been around since AA announced they were sending those 20 175s to Compass instead of Envoy.

Ah. I can’t read good.
1C18693B-8B02-48BB-986E-654C9C8E0D8D.jpeg

The way I’ve heard the “big picture” plan going is that AA transfers 16 CRJ900s to PSA from Mesa. And as the remainder of the flying comes off contract it will be replaced with 175s at Envoy while Envoy transfers 145s to Piedmont to continue their growth in the east coast hubs. Something something Compass and LAX too. But that rumors been around since AA announced they were sending those 20 175s to Compass instead of Envoy.
American: obviously doesn’t remember what a single transportation system is

This is why I always viewed DHL flying exactly like the regionals. They just happened to have larger aircraft.

Every regional has lifers. There won’t be any shortage of guys at Mesa (or any other regional) that wouldn’t hesitate to take a 737 position.

Back