Mesa 09 and Airways?

meyers9163

So I am hearing a lot about Mesa and USairways referring to March 2009? I have no clue what this is about and its made me wonder. Can anyone clue me in on this? Is Mesa's contract expiring for some planes starting then or what? Also with the news of RAH in indy giving Airways money (loaning with intrest) there are a lot of guys at the FBO talking about RAH getting more flying due to this. Last I checked the big jets at the regional leve within airways is already at max levels. Plus betting on Mesa folding is like betting on Airways folding it seems. Anways just wondering what this March of 2009 crap is all about?

RAH loaned Airways $15 million yesterday and are planning to loan another $10 million sometime during 1Q 2009. As of recently, Republic has been pretty good about getting flying out of money they have loaned so it very well could. I think the March 2009 date is the date Airways management (if you are to believe what a CP tells you) is planning on Mesa going away. I have no idea if that has to do with contractual stuff or simple cash flow.

The other issue here is that USAPA is currently (and with some success) pushing the company on the fact that there are 21 too many "Large Small" jets (CRJ700 and bigger) in the Express mix. Who knows where those cuts (if they even occur) will come from.

Mesa Dash-8 contract is up in 2009 (not March), will almost certainly be renewed unless Mesa is not around at that time. All of our jet contracts still have some years on them, so Republic may have to wait.

However, there is a bond payment due and lease payments due on our jets both in the first part of 2009. OJ has publicly admitted that Mesa doesn't have enough money to pay the bond payments. If Mesa can not find an arrangement with the bond holders and has to enter bankruptcy protection to prevent defaulting on the bond US Airways has the ability to leave the CPA, if they wanted to. This scenario is probably what people are talking about when they say 2009 and Mesa.

This scenario is probably what people are talking about when they say 2009 and Mesa.

If this is what BB is betting on then I hope he fails majorly. Buying flying in a sense? Put another airline out (ALPA none the less) and have your IBT guys take it over? Sounds great. But all speculation then on Mesa not being able to pay off the bond basically?

Also I have been wondering for sometime now about the large jet clause. I knew mainline guys were pushing hard to get that back under wraps. It will be interesting to see what happens with that. But werent they the same ones who could have flown those E175's and decided to let RAH get them? Or what's the true story behind that one?

Also in the end if this is to save money, would it not make more sense to keep Mesa and PDT around for more flying. Seems like RAH is one of the more expensive options for Airways, are they not? Nicest plane for pax of course but weighs more and thus you are not getting more out of it really then what the CRJ9 does in which Mesa operates?

Mesa Dash-8 contract is up in 2009 (not March), will almost certainly be renewed unless Mesa is not around at that time. All of our jet contracts still have some years on them, so Republic may have to wait.

Never under estimate the undercutting power of Trenary, Buddy Casey and Colgan......

Not a slam on the guys over at Colgan, just that with the Delta/NWA merger coming up, my bet is the Pinnacle higher ups are gonna wanna get more flying at all costs just to keep their jobs in place. If they can grow Colgan while keeping Pinnacle the same or smaller, it's a bonus.

This is exactly what happened when America West was in BK. Mesa gave them cash resulting in a long partnership between the two. Mesa is cheap but what good is that if they can't complete the flying for you? UA/Delta/US are tired of them. From who I've talked to at Mesa, rumor is that JO has changed his attitude on being a bottom feeder but hopefully it's going to be too late for that DIP#####.

I love J.O!:rolleyes::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

I wonder how much of what little cash he does have, is going to legal fees? Oh that must be why he let 250 personnel go, so he could pay the lawyers!:rolleyes: What a ###### bag!:mad:

If this is what BB is betting on then I hope he fails majorly. Buying flying in a sense? Put another airline out (ALPA none the less) and have your IBT guys take it over? Sounds great. But all speculation then on Mesa not being able to pay off the bond basically?

inspire-blame.jpg

Also I have been wondering for sometime now about the large jet clause. I knew mainline guys were pushing hard to get that back under wraps. It will be interesting to see what happens with that. But werent they the same ones who could have flown those E175's and decided to let RAH get them? Or what's the true story behind that one?

Also in the end if this is to save money, would it not make more sense to keep Mesa and PDT around for more flying. Seems like RAH is one of the more expensive options for Airways, are they not? Nicest plane for pax of course but weighs more and thus you are not getting more out of it really then what the CRJ9 does in which Mesa operates?

Are you for real? Have you noticed that the only ones talking about what RAH is "supposedly doing" are people that don't work for us? Us putting other companies out of business??????? WTF??????? I'm sitting here shaking my head wondering where in the hell stuff like this gets made up. Please stop and think first...we're one of the only damn airlines out there that has a crap load of money in the bank, hence why we're in a position to loan other airlines money!! Yes, these loans are very heavily in our favor, hence why we've done it. Do you think we've loaned Frontier money so we can put them out of business? I don't understand your logic. Aye aye aye.. I love it how everybody else speculates about us when none of this crap is even being talked about amongst "us". And if any of you who fly for an Airways carrier wouldn't jump at the opportunity of getting PHX flying and possibly a base, you're full of you know what!

And on another note, I'd argue that the 175 is more economical than a 900...more seats with comparable fuel burn.

Damn.

Off to bed.

And on another note, I'd argue that the 175 is more economical than a 900...more seats with comparable fuel burn.

It's got more than 86? Or should I say, it can have more than 86 (if not limited by scope)?

I just rode on a couple of your 175's, and I was like "damn, these are nice planes". But, I do think the fuel burn is slightly higher, for the same number of seats. But I really have nothing to back that up other than what I read online (and you know that's true!) and comparing the fuel flow #'s on my one jumpseat flight to what the CR9 typically burns at similar loads/altitudes/speeds.

E-175 burns more fuel than a CRJ-900, although not by much (they have same engines after all.) Both are mainline jets.

Never under estimate the undercutting power of Trenary, Buddy Casey and Colgan......

Not a slam on the guys over at Colgan, just that with the Delta/NWA merger coming up, my bet is the Pinnacle higher ups are gonna wanna get more flying at all costs just to keep their jobs in place. If they can grow Colgan while keeping Pinnacle the same or smaller, it's a bonus.

I was told last week when I asked about our future Q's and who they would fly for, that US AIRWAYS came to colgan and asked us for a quote.... however this individual from management seemed convinced that it wouldn't actually turn into anything. But who knows.

E-175 burns more fuel than a CRJ-900, although not by much (they have same engines after all.) Both are mainline jets.

They aren't mainline jets when individuals are flying them for regionals at regional wages. Again, major airline managements would farm out even more flying if they could and weren't limited by scope. Every once in a while the executives get lucky through a court ruling and scope gets tampered with. They already know there will be regional pilots stepping over themselves to fly them at whatever pay they offer.

I've been saying it for years. An airliner is an airliner. PEOPLE and the choices they make to accept "commuter" pay and work rules make an airliner into an "RJ".

I've been saying it for years. An airliner is an airliner. PEOPLE and the choices they make to accept "commuter" pay and work rules make an airliner into an "RJ".

Well said ZAP.

I'll second the US Airways/Colgan rumor- they did come to us asking for a Q quote. They would sign a CPA but we just don't have the airplanes.

Those airplanes belong to Piedmont, though.

Are you for real? .

From the above two post with Mesa guys there is no reason for anyone to speculate on Mesa folding in March of 2009 and flying to be free. On many other forums and talking with friends at RAH I was hearing the same thing, big news come March of 2009 for us etc. Anyways I was simply stating, if one airline is dishing out money in the hopes of one (mesa) to fold and gain flying due to them them folding I would wish them illwill. Simply all. Also now the HNL gig and it seems like there is a little substance to the rumor of RAH trying to take Mesa out.

Also SKY has more money then you at RAH. For some reason in the many years they have been around, Skywest has yet to dish out such large amounts of money, or have they?

I actually disagree with you here. Trenary is an idiot on many levels, but he's always been firm in not bidding a contract that won't turn at least a small profit. When Bedford was bidding contracts that didn't stand a chance of turning a profit, just to "get his foot in the door," Trenary refused to play that game. Buddy-f---er might be a different story, but I don't think Trenary will bid at a loss.

Back