Meetup/Retreat

You are not getting blasted because many of us are working at sub-par carriers. You are getting blasted because you are in the top ten (if not top five) of the oddest members on this website. Ever. If you didn't realize that, I'm sorry. If this persona is truly you - the real you - I'd be happy to chat off-line to explain why you receive this exact same reception on every single aviation forum you've ever been on. However, if this persona is just that, a persona, then yes, we prefer you not opine on this website. This website has a long history and culture of not being like the other sites frequented by people not really being themselves.

Here's a chance to prove you're a real human being. Just address these questions honestly to prove you're not a troll and you'll at least get that recognition.

What has Envoy's attrition been then last few months? Why are those pilots leaving when they have a flow? Where are they going?

There has been attrition. I'm not going to lie. But there is always attrition. A nice percentage of the attrition comes from, non cadets. And, RTP guys make up a good part of that too.
You are not getting blasted because many of us are working at sub-par carriers. You are getting blasted because you are in the top ten (if not top five) of the oddest members on this website. Ever. If you didn't realize that, I'm sorry. If this persona is truly you - the real you - I'd be happy to chat off-line to explain why you receive this exact same reception on every single aviation forum you've ever been on. However, if this persona is just that, a persona, then yes, we prefer you not opine on this website. This website has a long history and culture of not being like the other sites frequented by people not really being themselves.

Here's a chance to prove you're a real human being. Just address these questions honestly to prove you're not a troll and you'll at least get that recognition.

What has Envoy's attrition been then last few months? Why are those pilots leaving when they have a flow? Where are they going?

There has been attrition. I'm not going to lie. But there is always attrition. A nice percentage of the attrition comes from, non cadets. And, RTP guys make up a good part of that too. They go everywhere, including LCCs. Personally, I find this the biggest career mistake you could ever make but I can't control what one thinks or does.

What is the plan to address Envoy's pay and benefits disparity versus places like Endeavor?

The company has met with the union in the past over some of these items. Unfortunately they haven't been able to come to an agreement.

What are the plans to address the work rules and scheduling issues not found at other regionals?

See above. There have been several meetings on reserve.

Besides the flow, why is it worth it for someone to go to Envoy? (E-175s is not an answer). All of these are serious questions, especially this one. In 2017 I had offers from Envoy and a bunch of others. I didn't choose Envoy for pay, 401k, benefits, work-rules, and scheduling concerns.

Where else can you go right out of college and step right into your lifelong career at the largest major airline in the world? One interview and when your number comes up you simply transfer. Not any of this re-interviewing like some others do. Envoy pioneered the cadet program and for those who qualify, it pays lifelong dividends.

Address those questions honestly and seriously and enjoy coming into the fold of this community just a little bit. Don't, and it's more of the same for you unfortunately.

Thank you, sincerely, for answering. I really appreciate it.

One of the reasons people really, really don't like you here is because of numerous comments you've made like this one: "They go everywhere, including LCCs. Personally, I find this the biggest career mistake you could ever make but I can't control what one thinks or does." And that's far from the worst you've said on the subject. I've covered before, as have others, the benefits of LCCs. Believe those thoughts or not, there are a lot of good, real people here who work for LCCs. People we've met and hung out with. That's the vibe around here. We meet each other and have relationships that extend beyond the website. That said, can you see how, despite how you might feel about it, utterly insulting it is when you disparage other airlines?

for what it’s worth, on this very same weekend I’m having a retreat for every other American eagle brand pilot. We will be visiting the New Balance factory outlet, learning how to maximize the number of hotel shampoo bottles you can fit in a LW stealth 22, and having an e175 limitation/memory item jeopardy match. Winner gets a signed 8x10 glossy of a certain IG famous Piedmont pilot. If you’re interested, smash that like button and hit the bell for notifications.

I'm afraidyou're wasting time if you're trying to convert Dacuj
If you are interested in other answers to your questions, see below

What has Envoy's attrition been then last few months?

8% of the pilot group left this year so far. This month accounts for about a quarter of that.

Why are those pilots leaving when they have a flow?
Pilots leaving are mostly senior FOs and junior CA, with 3-4 years left to flow. Currently there is a certain financial advantage to leaving at that point.

Where are they going?
Delta, United, AA, Spirit, Frontier, ATI, Atlas, part 135s, FAA, Breeze, Allegiant. Bulk to established LCC and cargo.

What is the plan to address Envoy's pay and benefits disparity versus places like Endeavor?
Supposedly the company realizes that this needs to be addressed (not necessarily Endeavor- people aren't leaving here to go there). Current bandaid - sign on bonus. That will do nothing for the midseniority retention and if the trend continues we will be back in the direct entry captain realm in a year. Whether effective measures are undertaken to fix that is TBD

What are the plans to address the work rules and scheduling issues not found at other regionals?
There are both good and bad things in work rules here that are not found at other regionals. Long call reserve (lack thereof) is being negotiated right now in the typical fashion. That's about it. Oh and we had 300% pay for pretty much everyone this month (will be only the short staffed fleet/seat going forward). Making $170+ an hour as a regional FO felt pretty good. A fella could get used to that.

Besides the flow, why is it worth it for someone to go to Envoy? (E-175s is not an answer). All of these are serious questions, especially this one. In 2017 I had offers from Envoy and a bunch of others. I didn't choose Envoy for pay, 401k, benefits, work-rules, and scheduling concerns.
Flow, when it works, benefits the entire pilot group. It took me 2 years to get to the same relative seniority here as it took a friend at ExpressJet 7 years.
Pay got bumped up a bit since 2017. Not nearly enough, in my book, but it did.
401k - it is what it is.
Benefits? Like what? Health etc? Yeah, okayish. Nonrev - same priority as the mainline is pretty hard to beat, as far as other regionals are concerned.
Work rule and scheduling - you'll need to be more specific. For some not flying to the limits Mesa style is a good thing, for some bad.
There is obviously nothing good about 8 hr airport appreciation days when they happen, but again, what were your specific concerns?
There are operational benefits to being AAG like the performance apps (plus holdover times app etc) vs paper, wifi for jepp and wsi in flight as of this past week (finally), not being treated by the station people like 2nd grade citizen (for the most part) etc, and there are negatives, like leftover flight file etc because a cost center can do it when a FFD contract carrier can't.
Overall someone else put it nicely recently - we are American when it suits their narrative, other times we aren't. But there are certain benefits whether a newhire intends to hang around for the flow or not.

Address those questions honestly and seriously and enjoy coming into the fold of this community just a little bit. Don't, and it's more of the same for you unfortunately.

Why don’t the Wholly Owned’s just pay a retention bonus to mid-seniority pilots to lessen attrition? Less new hires required and better reserve coverage to cover flying.

Any Envoy cadets out there listening on this channel.....

If you have any interest, I'm putting together a weekend retreat coming up in October for all current pipeline instructor Envoy cadets. Also, any cadet in their first 6 months at Envoy is welcome also. Planning on a weekend of North Texas fishing and golfing with some campfire gather rounds sprinkled in to go over flow through projections and what to expect in your first year at the Voy.

Just shout out if you are interested.
I would go, but American has already cancelled all the flights I would take.

1629291609316.png

I picture some great discussion on the World’s best airline while noodling for flatheads and playing some putt-putt mini golf. Around the campfire there will be ghost stories about the horrors of flying with an RTAG Captain then eight to a camper while the event organizer keeps a watchful eye over everyone while they sleep.

Yeah, at EDV we had retention bonuses, which were great , but could be removed. The union worked hard to get those converted into regular pay, which worked out very well in 2020.
We did the same at ENY, summer of 2019 I think. The FO retention bonuses were rolled into pay, CA got a but of a paybump too. Still, not where it should be.
Like I said - there are good things - the way OT works being a prime example - everything you fly on your off time is 150% on top above guarantee/line value with an occasional 200% thrown in there and recently 300%, reassignment/recovery obligation rules better than the mainline and there are bad thing, like a complete lack of soft pay- min day/trip or duty rig.

Why don’t the Wholly Owned’s just pay a retention bonus to mid-seniority pilots to lessen attrition? Less new hires required and better reserve coverage to cover flying.

Because most contracts require all benefits and pay be negotiated by the union. Bonuses are often given to new hires (or agreed to be given to new hires) before they get on the seniority list. Bonuses are a short term solution that solve a retention (or hiring) problem for the company, and do nothing to improve long term pay, benefits, and working conditions. As such most MECs won't agree to them and instead push for improvements to hourly pay and work rules, which are on going improvements and benefit all pilots at a property.

Back