Masters Degrees and Major Airline Employment

zVo

Hey everyone,

How much does a masters degree help in landing an interview with a major airline?

I am a military helicopter pilot headed to the regional airlines next year. I have a Post-9/11 GI Bill I haven't tapped into yet, so starting a masters degree wouldn't cost me any money out of pocket. I'm looking at fully accredited online MBA degrees because (1) it is an added credential as a fallback in case of unemployment or loss of medical and (2) I've heard it may help increase my application in the digital 'stack' via AAL/DAL/UAL's point system.

Can anyone shed light on the value majors/legacies place on a masters degree in the hiring process?

Thanks!
zVo

I agree that it couldn't hurt, but if there's better ways I could be spending my time to enhance my application for the majors, I might not press as hard to get a masters degree completed as expeditiously.

Having one does make a candidate more competitive though, both United and Delta have made such statements in the past. It won't be a deal sealer in my opinion, but if you have everything else in order like military pilot training and good civilian flight experience, you would certainly stand over much of your competition. I am doing an online grad aviation program to which your background would be useful. Relatively cheap as well, I'm learning about aviation concepts such as SMS, TEM, CRM, HF and more. I can definitely put it to good use in other aviation capacities should I (knock on wood) ever lose my medical. PM me if you wish to find out more.

Last edited:
Reactions: zVo
Hey everyone,

How much does a masters degree help in landing an interview with a major airline?

I am a military helicopter pilot headed to the regional airlines next year. I have a Post-9/11 GI Bill I haven't tapped into yet, so starting a masters degree wouldn't cost me any money out of pocket. I'm looking at fully accredited online MBA degrees because (1) it is an added credential as a fallback in case of unemployment or loss of medical and (2) I've heard it may help increase my application in the digital 'stack' via AAL/DAL/UAL's point system.

Can anyone shed light on the value majors/legacies place on a masters degree in the hiring process?

Thanks!
zVo

A Masters Degree is certainly helpful on a strong candidate.

A Masters Degree, on the other hand, doesn't magically make a weak candidate into an awesome one.

Apply for that program yesterday. Like Derg said, if you are a strong applicant to begin with, a master's will probably be the cherry on top of the regional pilot sundae. It helped me land a job that I thought was out of my reach.

Apply for that program yesterday. Like Derg said, if you are a strong applicant to begin with, a master's will probably be the cherry on top of the regional pilot sundae. It helped me land a job that I thought was out of my reach.

I regret not getting mine right after my 4 year, but looking back on it I doubt I was mature enough to have cared.

Thank you for all the advice guys. Right now there is a lot of positive energy in the American economy, but we've also gone for the longest single stretch without a recession. Furloughs are inevitable and I feel a masters degree can be a hedge against unemployment.

"Like Derg said, if you are a strong applicant to begin with, a master's will probably be the cherry on top of the regional pilot sundae."

Makes perfect sense. I'll get this masters degree expedited.

Finishing up a masters now too.

I make money every month, because of the VA rates. Also to add: MBA seem to be a dime a dozen. I chose an MS in something very specific.

Every thing else stated, is also a huge plus.

Last edited:
I nearly started a masters.

Would have come with a 2 year commitment. I’ve been gone from that job for two years.

Masters would have cost me 130k in lost salary or full reimbursement. Next year Pay differential would have been nearly 100k.

Education beyond a 4 year doesn’t really add any value for me, so, the only reason I would get one would be to the benefit of my employer. If they want to pay for me to get it (no strings) then I will, otherwise it’s a waste of money for me.

If I had a GI bill to cover most of my expenses, I’d certainly do it though.

"Why don't you knock out a doctorate, do some volunteer work, upgrade, and become a check airman?"

"Uhh...I already did that."

"Oh, have you thought about becoming a Senator? That MIGHT help, but it's still a competitive field."
Simply ridiculous.

Back