Masters Degrees and Major Airline Employment

Cogs with masters degrees and space shuttle time.

We want people that are smart and talented but not too smart or too talented.

I laugh at all this speculation. Maybe the airlines are magic and different, but most companies I've been a part of hire in a reactionary fashion. They need people, they're not adequately staffed, so they take the most qualified person they can find by the due date who is also not a dick.

Not being a dick is a pretty easy box to check or at least fake in an interview. It's also easy to pick up on if you're taking it too hard - so for the "most qualified" at a job where there are more applicants than than openings, it becomes an arms race to become the top candidate.

The funny thing is that the people hiring don't actually give a damn. They're just trying to put the most qualified meat in the seat they can find. We pilot's like to think we're really important - and we are to an extent, the planes don't fly without us, but the operation doesn't see hiring us as anything more than an obstacle standing between them and profit.

Is this what it's boiled down to, pilots trying to get masters degrees just to one up another to land an interview? Remember when Masters degrees represented one's personal interests and specialization in their field for professional growth?

*Though I agree if you have any vet/funds available for education, may as well use them.

Is this what it's boiled down to, pilots trying to get masters degrees just to one up another to land an interview? Remember when Masters degrees represented one's personal interests and specialization in their field for professional growth?

*Though I agree if you have any vet/funds available for education, may as well use them.

I take it that you don't have a master's degree then or will never pursue one.

Why, you guys aren't content with your turkey coupons?
I don't think I've ever once used one, for varying reasons. Well, not quite - I guess the first few years, when I managed through conniving to get Thanksgiving off, I did.

Remember when Masters degrees represented one's personal interests and specialization in their field for professional growth?
Um, yes.

I take it that you don't have a master's degree then or will never pursue one.

My college degree is in engineering. Getting a masters degree in engineering is not applicable to my current career field. Getting a masters in my field would mean I'm strictly doing it to check another box and try to get a leg up in the competition of getting hired elsewhere (say one of the 3 legacies). The only engineers I know who got Masters were sticking in their own field and doing it because it actually applies to what they were doing in their jobs, and to encourage that their employers would pay for 50-75% of the Masters. For a pilot I don't know of any airline that will help reimburse any partial amount for getting a Masters degree.

Working on my MS in Aviation Safety, I could have gotten an MBA but that doesn’t interest me. I working in the training department here and I have a legitimate interest in it. Sure, I’d love to end up moving on faster but I’m not banking on a graduate degree making that happen.

Also, no I’m not just happy with my turkey coupon.

Working on my MS in Aviation Safety, I could have gotten an MBA but that doesn’t interest me. I working in the training department here and I have a legitimate interest in it. Sure, I’d love to end up moving on faster but I’m not banking on a graduate degree making that happen.

Also, no I’m not just happy with my turkey coupon.

Is that an online thing? Don't get me started on some of those programs. Not all, but many = basically a pay to print job.

Back