MARKETING THE ACADEMY

CLR4ILS

Alright, I responded to some marketing hype in another forum and realized it would be best posted in its own forum.

I will cut and paste my comments from the other forum here and the rest of you can join in with your ideas and comments. We all know that several thousand minds (however many members Doug has) are better than a few.

Positive comments please.....DE727....you are not allowed to play.
grin.gif

Just kidding...chime in.

[ QUOTE ]
They offer a good product, and if I could do it again, I would probably go the same route, but they need to figure out a way to market themselves better. Word of mouth just isnt going to cut it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

My response......

I too would definatley go the FSA route if I were to do it again. The training is by far the best I have seen in the industry.

As for the marketing of the school. You are absolutley correct. If New York doesn't wake up, the school is going to suffer tremendously.

I have spoken my opinion several times at the academy with respect to marketing and nothing has changed. Something needs to change.

The biggest problem are the ads posted by schools like Pan-am, DCA, and westwind. They lie through their teeth and make rediculous promises to get the numbers. By the time the student realizes that they have been screwed, it is either too late, or they are afraid to switch schools in the middle of training.

Flight Safety has ALWAYS been up front with their students and what they will recieve at the academy.....excellent training and the tools neccesary to make it in aviation, no more, no less.....

However, word of mouth will not cut it anymore. Here again are a couple of things I have noticed...

1. The "my dad told me to attend FSA" ads in the magazines go un-noticed. I have been told this by 5 students who did not know of FSA until I spoke of the academy. When asked where they learned of PA, DCA, Worstwind etc.....They said in the magazines. They thought FSA's ad was an article....

BTW...All 5 are either at FSA now or have just completed. No thanks neccesary, just a hug. Just darn happy to help a new aspiring pilot get good training.....

Suggestion:
Place new ads that talk about the programs, SIMS, upset attitude recovery training, Spatial disorientation training. Show pics of the academy, 120+ aircraft, SIMS etc. People are visual, let them see it.

2. People are really starting to complain about aviation training pricing. I know this is not easy to adjust with all of the expensive top notch facilities that we have coupled with the fuel prices BUT...... If you can offer the same great training, new facilities and aircraft priced just below people like Pan-scam then you will see the enrollment. Of course you will have to get them to notice FSA with your new attention grabbing ads .

My biggest suggestion....

A mass media blitz......

Now is the perfect time of the year to change the ads, lower the pricing (just enough), pound the internet with the new site (especially on JC), and have one hell of a marketing party/rally. Hire on some new motivated blood to tour the schools (no offense Jay, we love you, of course they will work under your supervision) and get FSA's name out there once again.

What about a Flight Safety Academy fly in????? Like a field day so to speak. Maybe Doug will sponsor it....

The quality is there, and when they tour the facilities they will see it.

Sign me up.... There are 5 FSA grads here in AZ that will handle the Phoenix area for a few hours in that ERJ Sim..

ILS

Some more helpful hints to the marketing department.

I pulled a search on google titled "flight training".

Pan-am came up, some other smaller schools, but no Flight Safety Academy.

The Flight Safety International website showed up on the first page but that is worthless to the academy. The corporate website is hard to navigate through to get to the academy website.

Make sure you talk to your webmaster and have he/she change your "key" words for search so that FSA "the academy" comes up when people search numerous titles such .......Flight training, flight training Florida, Commercial pilot training etc...

Hope this helps....

ILS

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest problem are the ads posted by schools like Pan-am, DCA, and westwind.
ILS

[/ QUOTE ]

Was Westwind merged with PanAm recently, or something similar?

Either way, I was under the impression that Westwind was having some sort of financial problems.

Great post all good ideas. I remember them talking about a new website when I was still instructing there, probably 6 months or so ago. The website they have now hasnt been updated in years and the minor changes they make don't market the school very well. Every time I see one of the ads in the magazine I think to myself, there is another waste of advertising potential, no one I have ever met has said that they went to FlightSafety because of an ad they saw. I decided to enroll based on a visit I made to the school after someone recommended them to me. If they cant get the people to visit the school then they will never get the enrollement back up. The school really sells itself one a potential student gets on the property as it is a great place to learn.

Saw the new FSI corporate DVD today.

Good job overall- I might have changed the music a bit, felt like I was standing in line for a tour of a large factory with all the ra ra music. Its mainly centered on FSI as a whole, but there is a good 1-2 mins on the Academy...the theme being tomorrow's professional corporate pilots start in vero beach, etc...

Certainly not THE answer for attendance in vero, but better than nothing. Hopefully they get my ugly mug off of the website soon.

In case you want to see the dvd-

http://www.flightsafety.com/theater.php?PHPSESSID=c55e3b112a927118c088e302ae60454a

Maybe all you need to say is "be an jet airline pilot in 300 hours with our direct entry program"

Whooo Hoooo, they'll be signing up like crazy. And I'll be right here saying what I bad idea I think it is....

As long as ATP is successful at getting guys on at the regionals with their less expensive programs, I don't see you changing the balace of power through marketing. At FSA, you are paying for bungalows and Zlin's.

I see FSA as the BMW of flight training. Quality at a price. Not everybody needs, or wants, to drive a BMW, though. Some people are happy with an Accord and they both get you to work.

Boy, you sure do spend alot of time taking about FSA.

To each his own, who knows, who cares. Everyone has to take their own paths in life. I was happy about leaving the Army and spending my savings on Zlins and Seminoles. We'll see when I am 60 I guess, have I had a good career and made a liveable wage or am I still living paycheck to paycheck?

By the way, I had an Accord in college...great car, but for some reason the AM radio never worked...

"Boy, you sure do spend alot of time taking about FSA."

There is nothing I'd rather do than ignore this forum. When people come here and say that little flight schools don't turn out good pilots or that direct entry programs are the best way to become an airline pilot, I feel compelled to state my case based what I've experienced over the years. I started flying in 1979 and just got a 757/767 Capts bid at UPS.

Be that as it may...it's only my opinion and I'd love to leave it at "to each his own", which I mostly agree with, outside a few exceptions.

"I was happy about leaving the Army and spending my savings on Zlins and Seminoles."

I'm sure one of the reasons you chose FSA was cause of your hard earned VA benes. For anyone with VA benes, a larger academy is the best (only) choice.

"great car, but for some reason the AM radio never worked..."

But it still got you to work. That's the whole point...

As an FSA grad who appreciates pilots from all different types of backgrounds and saw the light, I think DE727UPS is right for the most part. There are many ways to get to where you want to go in this career and one isn't necessarily better than the other. The flight school elitism disgusted me as a student and embarasses me as an alumni...and no I have no problem with FSA I enjoyed my time there and feel I got good training however I could have gotten the same for less. I just have a problem with those that think they are entitled to something or feel they are better than those that didn't attend FSA or the like.

[ QUOTE ]
I just have a problem with those that think they are entitled to something or feel they are better than those that didn't attend FSA or the like.

[/ QUOTE ]

True dat.

My advice to any potential flight student- just gather all the info you can, talk to alot of people already in the industry, ignore the flashy "guaranteed interviews with our regional partners", and make a decision thats best for you.

No VA bennies for me...FSA just worked for my situation.

DE- congrats on the slot! It would be nice to be in the same situation some day...

[ QUOTE ]
DE- congrats on the slot! It would be nice to be in the same situation some day...

[/ QUOTE ]

No joke, that's a sweet ride! Congrats DE!
nana2.gif

Well,
not as much input as I had hoped for. Maybe the marketing department had a chance to view the post and take some valuable info from it.

ILS

Back