Market is dead - huh?

To splash:
Nobody is going to get around to reforming the system any time soon. Whether it's the whole system or part of it doesn't matter. I think the only way to go would be to start an airline based on different principles, and that would be a very slow way to go about it, and very hit or miss. Thus, that concept might be too risky entirely to try. If you really want to get into theory, I'll get into it, but I'll put it in a more relevant thread.
As for the hurricane comment:
The Dutch have less of a threat of hurricanes than New Orleans. It's more just the simple fact that there are sea level issues. Yes there are threats of hurricanes, but not as strong (colder water, location, etc), so their proximity to water is not as idiotic as that of New Orleans. I'm still surprised at those who were surprised at the damage caused by the hurricane. It's a city, below sea level, surrounded by water that water happens to be the most hurricane active (at least for the contig. US). The damn place is threatened by heavy rain storms alone and people stayed? Really? It's not a question of better levees, it's a question of better housing positions.

To TangoBravo:
I agree with all of it.
I'll back you up with the Norway/Denmark comments, as well. Last time I was in Denmark, there was a hurricane that did its damage to Norway and Denmark both (ended up making my 3 hour ferry ride between Kristiansand and Hirtshals 9 hours), and both countries were running news stories not on the hurricane/damage, but on the tsunami in Thailand. We were still running stories on Katrina, with side stories of the tsunami.

To Braun:
The market always swings. It's swung since the beginning of specialization of tasks and commerce. There will always be ups and downs. It's just a matter of being prepared when it's up and protected when it's down.
Five years is a lot of time to say it'll be up. In that time there will be several ups and downs worth noting. The reason, as I'm sure you know, the five year is so good is people anticipate the effect of Age 65. It's pretty much an automatic correct prediction.

To Everyone Else:
At least you have your tickets. I'm stuck on a private right now because of the market in general (not just airline hiring - I'm talking about the financial markets, too). Try picking up a job with that. Oh right, forgot that one was illegal for a second.
I'd kill for a CFI job right now. I'd also do it as more of an extended stepping stone just to be flying. I'm not sure I could do it for the rest of my life, but I'd do it for longer than just airline minimums and I'd at least try to enjoy doing it.
Quit whining and go find something. There's always more out there than meets the eye. I'm just looking for a ground job to help pay for flight school and even that's difficult, but not impossible. People generally only put ads up when they're despirate for people. Snooping around on the internet can only prove people are despirate or not, not whether they're hiring or not.

Back