MAP Oil Pressure

meritflyer

On a single, when you exercise the prop, the MAP rises, RPM drops, and oil pressure drops.

Does the oil pressure drop (on a SE airplane) due the the oil leaving the hub and entering in to the oil res?

Love to hear the cycle from one of our AP gurus.

Oil pressure shouldn't change very much, if at all, when you cycle the prop. There really isn't much oil in the prop hub of most light airplanes. Maybe a cup to a pint max.

Now, the old radials OTOH had a gallon or two up there.

Oil pressure shouldn't change very much, if at all, when you cycle the prop. There really isn't much oil in the prop hub of most light airplanes. Maybe a cup to a pint max.

Now, the old radials OTOH had a gallon or two up there.

It doesn't drop a whole lot on the Arrow, but it is noticeable. The 182 doesn't drop at all.

My theory is that the Arrow's rear mounted governor is upstream of the oil pressure line, on the 182 it's a front mounted governor and downstream of the oil pressure line. I could be off base on that.

One thing that never occurred to me until I saw a pilot do it by accident is that if you use the mixture instead of the propeller lever, you will get the same three indications.

Does the oil pressure drop (on a SE airplane) due the the oil leaving the hub and entering in to the oil res?

I thought the oil pressure drop was from oil going to the hub to force the prop to feather, as in if you lost oil the prop would go full fine?

I thought the oil pressure drop was from oil going to the hub to force the prop to feather, as in if you lost oil the prop would go full fine?

That doesn't make sense. The oil doesn't force the prop to feather, the oil pushes the prop away from feathering, to high RPM. If you lose oil pressure, the spring and nitrogen (or some different system, depending on the airplane) forces it towards the feather position.

In contrast, the constant-speed propellers installed on most multiengine airplanes are full feathering, counterweighted, oil-pressure-to-decrease-pitch designs. In this design, increased oil pressure from the propeller governor drives the blade angle towards low pitch, high r.p.m.—away from the feather blade angle. In effect, the only thing that keeps these propellers from feathering is a constant supply of high pressure engine oil. This is a necessity to enable propeller feathering in the event of a loss of oil pressure or a propeller governor failure.
The aerodynamic forces alone acting upon a windmilling propeller tend to drive the blades to low pitch, high r.p.m. Counterweights attached to the shank of each blade tend to drive the blades to high pitch, low r.p.m. Inertia, or apparent force called centrifugal force acting through the counterweights is generally slightly greater than the aerodynamic forces. Oil pressure from the propeller governor is used to counteract the counterweights and drives the blade angles to low pitch, high r.p.m. Areduction in oil pressure causes the r.p.m. to be reduced from the influence of the counterweights.

To feather the propeller, the propeller control is brought fully aft. All oil pressure is dumped from the governor, and the counterweights drive the propeller blades towards feather. As centrifugal force acting on the counterweights decays from decreasing r.p.m., additional forces are needed to completely feather the blades. This additional force comes from either a spring or high pressure air stored in the propeller dome, which forces the blades into the feathered position. The entire process may take up to 10 seconds.

From the Airplane Flying Handbook.

That doesn't make sense. The oil doesn't force the prop to feather, the oil pushes the prop away from feathering, to high RPM. If you lose oil pressure, the spring and nitrogen (or some different system, depending on the airplane) forces it towards the feather position.

From the Airplane Flying Handbook.

I think this is the case for Multi Engine - Single Engine is opposite.

Edit- tgrayson beat me to the punch - c'mon give the rest of us a chance!!

A single engine doesn't feather...

I figured he was speaking about multi-engine aircraft.

Perhaps he was, even though the conversation is regarding a SE, but I think often people use the worth "feather" to mean coarse pitch, even though it's not truely feathered.

Which underscores the silliness of insisting that you cycle the prop three times, one each for watching MP, Oil Pressure, and RPM.

I cycle it until it responds immediately. Usually no more than two times, sometimes only once. I allow time for the engine to warm up before I even do a runup though.

I know a guy that calls ground before he even starts the engine and then starts it up and taxis out immediately, doing his runup on the fly. I told him if he wants he can do that in his own plane fine, but not to do it in club airplanes. I mean come on, you're gonna put all that time in your logbook... what's the point of cheesing it?

I've never tried to shut down the engine by pulling the blue knob, only to wonder why the hell the airplane was shaking so much. Nope, never happened to me.

On a single, when you exercise the prop, the MAP rises, RPM drops, and oil pressure drops.

Love to hear the cycle from one of our AP gurus.

Oil pumps are driven by crankshaft rotations through a gearing mechanism. If you reduce how fast it is pumping oil, the pressure reduces naturally.

Back