Man Dragged off United Flight

The problem was that his first statement was really bad. I can't stress it enough how bad some of the service is at some airlines....and I must stress that it is only some of the airlines. I've had a great experience on many of them.

Heck, just a couple weeks ago on JetBlue...I observed a Captain handle a 4 hour delay in an incredibly good manner. They were picking us up from EWR, but broke on the previous leg in FLL. They ended up having to replace the plane. After everyone had boarded, he walked out of the flight deck and got on the FA's PA. He sincerely apologized for the delay, and thanked us for our patience. He emphasized how us flying JetBlue allowed him to take care of his family and thanked us again. People clapped after he was done speaking. I took notes! That's how it should be handled!

From what I hear the likelihood of "re-accomodation" originating from Oscar is close to zero. But so is the chance that he would throw the PR person under the bus.

They did a great job with the big metal bird series, but crisis management isn't their thing.

Nope, that was beyond awful and I wanted to shoot myself when they were playing one of the episodes and I couldn't turn it off. I don't know who the marketing losers are that come up with this garbage, but I'd happily wager most people find them obnoxious. Here's comedian Bill Burr going off on Virgin America for the same garbage they try pushing before a flight.

Nope, that was beyond awful and I wanted to shoot myself when they were playing one of the episodes and I couldn't turn it off. I don't know who the marketing losers are that come up with this garbage, but I'd happily wager most people find them obnoxious. Here's comedian Bill Burr going off on Virgin America for the same garbage they try pushing before a flight.

Well, as the unofficial United Sucks Fan Club President, I would expect nothing less from you with your feedback. ;)

I'm not a fan of our safety video, but this critique video is dumb.

Nope because the United employees called the airport police and demanded that they remove the passenger from the plane. The United employees should never have called the police over this issue.
The culture of this whole airline needs a major adjustment.

So then how do they get someone off the airplane who is refusing?

So then how do they get someone off the airplane who is refusing?

The procedure is to not put a passenger in a position that requires an airline to have them ripped out of their seat in the first place.

Other airlines have been doing this for the past 40 years without having to rip a paying customer out of a paid for seat.

Maybe United needs to take a lesson from an airline like Delta or Southwest.

It just takes brains and common sense and a culture of serving the customer and not making your problem their problem.

Can you imagine being a ticketed passenger on that plane and seeing this demonstration of brute force and then thinking you might be the next one ripped out of your seat?

The procedure is to not put a passenger in a position that requires an airline to have them ripped out of their seat in the first place.

Other airlines have been doing this for the past 40 years without having to rip a paying customer out of a paid for seat.

It just takes brains and common sense and a culture of serving the customer and not making your problem their problem.

Can you imagine being a ticketed passenger on that plane and seeing this demonstration of brute force and then thinking you might be the next one ripped out of your seat?

That's not the question I asked. I didn't ask how to prevent this, we all know this could have been prevented. But the question still stands, when mistakes are made, and a passenger refuses to comply, what should the airlines do if a passenger refuses to get off.

I think this whole situation is a mess. But I'm also worried it's going to set a dangerous precedent that compliance with crew members instructions is now optional.

The bottom line is when you are told to get off an airplane, you get off. It's not a request.

"Sir, you need to get off."

"But I don't want to get off."

"I don't think you understand sir. That wasn't a request. You can either get off on your own volition, or you will be removed."

This guy could have (should have) been removed with the initial level of force. He was ripped from his seat. But he was told to get off and refused to comply. My level of sympathy for him wanes because of his refusal to listen, and him actually telling them "you'll have to drag me off."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/14/news/companies/delta-10000-overbooked-flight/index.html

A company spokesperson confirmed to CNNMoney that supervisors were previously only able to offer up to $1,350, but Delta (DAL) notified them on Friday that they'll now be able to offer up to $9,950 in compensation.

Certainly a smart move on Delta's part. The perception of the public is worth way more than it will cost them I suspect. Besides, it is what air carriers should have been doing in the first place.

If you are United and you royally screwed up by boarding passengers prior to denying boarding then it is United's problem. It is not the customer's problem.

The customer is under no obligation to leave the plane and United does not have the right to remove him from the plane after he has been boarded unless THE CUSTOMER is causing an issue (such as not putting on his seat belt, not turning off his cell phone, being disruptive, etc). In this case the customer did none of those things and United has absolutely no right to remove him.

This is where the United culture is defective. United believes it has that right. United has convinced it's employees that it has this right. Many of you reading this thread believe United has that right. United gave up this right once the passenger has been boarded. You can read their own contract of carriage and you will see this for yourself. You will now see Congress get involved to make sure that United doesn't try to put this in their future contract of carriage.

So the way to handle this type of issue to to ask for volunteers and then keep raising the amount the airline is willing to pay until 4 people decide they will take the money, the free tickets and the hotel accommodations in order to give up their paid for seat and take a flight the next day. I'm absolutely sure there were four passengers on that flight that would have been thrilled to receive $2000 each and some free airline tickets to stay in Chicago overnight. If this lawsuit ever goes in front of a jury, all the plaintiff's attorney's need to do is find four people, on that flight, that will testify that they would have taken the $2000, but United did not offer it.

It's called making lemonade out of lemons and it is done everyday in business. You have a situation and you do what you need to do to fix it. Restaurants do it with free meals when something goes wrong. Hotels do it with free hotel rooms when something goes wrong.

Im sorry, but this whole statement is objectively incorrect. You are wrong if you think this happens only to United. I know this situation is awful, and is not right,

I have personally witnessed Delta remove a young lady from her seat on a December 23rd flight, her flight home for Christmas. It sucks, but it's a part of this complex business.

I would also point out that JetBlue has one of the higher IDB rates per 10K pax in the industry - and they do not overbook. Clearly solving this is not as simple as prohibiting overselling.

By the way, every passenger on that flight could potentially sue United for emotional distress and mental anguish after witnessing this incident. I would not be surprised to see some additional lawsuits.

Back