Man Dragged off United Flight

Not that I'm saying low pay is an excuse for poor treatment. But I've got 75,000 on United in the last year or so, plus another 25k on other airlines and I can't think of a time that I feel I've been mistreated.

As pilots, we are for the most part way more willing to put up with things. We know and understand operational problems that come up, and we also know how to navigate the various twists and turns of getting onto an airplane. The general public largely does not have such a background, or as much patience.

Now, if no one volunteers their seats for some generous compensation, then NO ONE is going to Louisville tonight...".

I highly doubt that the compensation was "generous." Like "We are getting another airplane to fly you there right now plus here's $1,000 for the inconvenience" generous.

Delta actually promised that until about 2005. I think Eastern started it in the 60's. Seriously: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/02/nyregion/promised-seat-on-air-shuttle-is-perk-of-past.html?_r=0

I used to take the flight a lot in the late 90's, it was really like that. Just show up and go.

All I can say is United surely solved any future overbooking situations with this one.

Sent from your moms phone
I heard that was said in a certain highrise quite a few times today.

Thanks to the author of the "re-accommodate" masterpiece.

Don't be too sure, under Rule 21 sub part H:

"16. Passengers who have or cause a malodorous condition (other than individuals qualifying as disabled);"

You may or may not get locked up for it, but it would seem they leave the door open for removing a passenger for that sort of thing too. I'm not sure claiming shock post-incident would qualify as disabled per UA's own terms.
You aren't getting my point. You can get me off the flight but you aren't taking off with urine and feces on the seat, so I win.

You aren't getting my point. You can get me off the flight but you aren't taking off with urine and feces on the seat, so I win.

I wouldn't categorize an adult acting in such a manner as a "win," particularly when it screws with the travel of a plane load of folks who had nothing to do with what was going on just so you can win a fight that only exists in your mind. But whatever blows your skirt up, I guess.

At any rate, it doesn't take as long as you seem to think to get a cleaning/hazmat crew out to sanitize/change the seat covers. Shoot, at a hub a lot of airlines will even have a spare sitting around to take over if the delay is going to be too long.

Last edited:
17759723_10102342990784775_7043920775076423953_n.jpg

Intentionally overbooking is a pretty crappy thing to do...

Yeah, AA, UAL and DAL all do it. Not sure about the LCC's. I used to hear the looking for volunteers announcement at the gate almost every day. I've never seen anybody not take an offer before though.

I hate camera phones on a jet. People will film crap, narrate it as if they know what's going on and distribute widely. I have a friend that ended up in a video that is probably one of the coolest, most level headed captains we have and she pretty much got video slandered. Of course you never see the event that transpired with him being asked to leave the aircraft, probably profanity, being aggressive and non-compliant, but "all I want is a bottle of water"

Right.

Passengers and these phones have gotten out of hand. I was fortunate as a gate agent to never have someone record me. As a commuter I caught one lady trying to take a picture of me, why idk maybe she had jungle fever. It's also something i'm not looking forward to when I upgrade. Trying to defuse a situation is hard enough without someone flashing their camera in your face.

I hate camera phones on a jet. People will film crap, narrate it as if they know what's going on and distribute widely. I have a friend that ended up in a video that is probably one of the coolest, most level headed captains we have and she pretty much got video slandered. Of course you never see the event that transpired with him being asked to leave the aircraft, probably profanity, being aggressive and non-compliant, but "all I want is a bottle of water"

Right.

In my experience from years of retail, what "All I want is a bottle of water" boils down to is "I want to assert my dominance, so I'm doing the Homo Sapiens equivalent of flinging my poo at you"

Last edited:
Back