Lufthansa 747 balked landing at LAX

I mean I know what happened, it’s the why I’m curious about. What did the pilots do that would cause this? It looked like a pretty stable approach the way down to me

Could’ve been someone on their first day of OE, got a little behind the aircraft and brain farted on the sight picture and flare required on the B74 vs their previous aircraft. Stuff happens. As a previous OE instructor…I got a front row seat to something similar both on the Bus and MD.

I feel like people are mightily over complicating “they probably just forgot to flare”

That’s what it looked like to me. When I was new, the 50 foot call out occasionally seemed to catch me by surprise because of the difference in cockpit height. If you haven’t started your flare by 30’ you’re basically hosed. I’ve never had one like that bounce, though. Normally it just splats, makes a lot of angry noises, and then rolls out like normal.

I wonder if they had extra speed and the last minute yank made it want to fly again once the ground solved the momentum issue. Or they were distracted by that guys annoying voice.

I mean I know what happened, it’s the why I’m curious about. What did the pilots do that would cause this? It looked like a pretty stable approach the way down to me

Probably distracted by the overwhelming excitement they're about to experience in the crew van on the way to the Motel 6.

Probably distracted by the overwhelming excitement they're about to experience in the crew van on the way to the Motel 6.

I’ve always wondered what a layover for a foreign crew is like in some of our less than fantastic cities. LA has stuff to do and their layover hotel is in a decent area. But I wonder about a Singapore crew laying over in CVG now that they’re flying for DHL. One day they’re in the Maldives, later that trip they’re in Ohio…

I’ve always wondered what a layover for a foreign crew is like in some of our less than fantastic cities. LA has stuff to do and their layover hotel is in a decent area. But I wonder about a Singapore crew laying over in CVG now that they’re flying for DHL. One day they’re in the Maldives, later that trip they’re in Ohio…
To be fair if it’s in actual Cincinnati that can be an ok layover, although that’s by the standards of someone who purely does domestic US flying. If they’re in Northern Kentucky though… that would be enough to make me seriously consider my life choices.

I cringe watching these channels now but my 10 yr old aviation nerd self would've had no life with this stuff around 😅

JFK international crews layover on LI 5 min from my work poor bastards

Prior to touchdown full up elevator followed be a large nose down input after impact
That’s just poor technique, you should never need full deflection in a large swept wing plane
One day they’re in the Maldives, later that trip they’re in Ohio
When I flew corporate we did a Maldives trip and they stuck us at the same hotel as a BA crew. It was on Malé, kinda lame. No turquoise beaches or cabanas over the water for us.

Back