Lowers but raised dues?

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
ATN_Pilot

So dues were "lowered" but now they're applied to the money's before the 401K deduction?

Yeah Eagle's ALPA peeps got caught in a big drinking debacle last month, took the company's side and used fear to pass an industry lowering TA, and then voted in a dues increase. Sad.

All Eagle reps voted it down. Both Tony and Dave on the EBOD level and all the LEC reps on the BOD level.

They're selling it as a reduction on the DALPA forum, but I may be from Fresno but it seems 1.95% over my net after 401K might be smaller than 1.90% pre- 401K deduction.

Derg, you've always paid dues on your 401k contributions because you have a pension plan. So this is a dues reduction for you. Nothing changes on the 401k portion, but your dues rate drops. The only people who may see their dues go up are pilots who only have a 401k plan at their company, and contribute to that 401k plan. They may see their dues increase by a few dollars a month. Nothing significant. I voted against the original proposal on this issue which didn't include the dues rate reduction, but I (somewhat hesitantly) supported the amended version that ratified today. A majority of ALPA's members will see their dues go down as a result of this change.

Ooh, I guess we're deducted before the 401k (only carrier) so I get a 0.05 decrease and the rest of y'all can make up the rest for us! :) enjoy that effective increase.

Tax cuts for the CREAT0RZ Op Op Romney-Style!

Ooh, I guess we're deducted before the 401k (only carrier)

No, not the only carrier. Not by a long shot. FedEx, United, Hawaiian, the Canadian carriers, Alaska, etc. It's a ton of pilots. And that doesn't even include the many pilots at the other airlines who will see their dues reduced because they've never been contributing to their 401k plan, so their rate gets cut.

Nice; we get a pay cut! Oh, and the definition of a "few" is 3-8. Our dues increase will be far more than that. @ ATN_Pilot

If you are a 401k only carrier:

-Your pay will increase by .05% of your post 401k earnings

-Your pay will decrease by 1.9% of your 401k contributions

Which means that if you contribute anything more than about 1% to your 401k you are loosing money.

Personally I was for this change, even before they threw in the overall dues rate deduction, but to sell it as a "small" change for the 401k carriers is a bit of a farce.

If you are a 401k only carrier:

-Your pay will increase by .05% of your post 401k earnings

-Your pay will decrease by 1.9% of your 401k contributions

Which means that if you contribute anything more than about 1% to your 401k you are loosing money.

Personally I was for this change, even before they threw in the overall dues rate deduction, but to sell it as a "small" change for the 401k carriers is a bit of a farce.
Exactly my point.

Oh, and the definition of a "few" is 3-8.

Actually, it's not.

Our dues increase will be far more than that. @ ATN_Pilot

A captain at a mainline carrier that is affected by the change who makes $180k per year and contributes 10% to his 401k will see his dues go up by $10.88 per pay check (assuming two pay periods per month). Sorry, but I do consider that "a few." Now, with that said, I'm not thrilled with this change. I voted against the original resolution. I got behind the amended resolution because it is clear that the carriers who are currently already paying dues on their 401k contributions are quite unhappy with the fact that their dues are being calculated differently than pilots at other carriers in the same union. Now, I think their argument has some holes in it, but frankly, perception is reality. There was a divide in the union that was quite obvious at this BOD over this issue. And after some leadership from the ALPA President, we came out of this BOD with a nearly 80% vote on one of the most contentious issues in the recent history of this union. That's impressive, and I will give him and everyone who was involved in putting the compromise together some credit.

Actually, it's not.

A captain at a mainline carrier that is affected by the change who makes $180k per year and contributes 10% to his 401k will see his dues go up by $10.88 per pay check (assuming two pay periods per month). Sorry, but I do consider that "a few." Now, with that said, I'm not thrilled with this change. I voted against the original resolution. I got behind the amended resolution because it is clear that the carriers who are currently already paying dues on their 401k contributions are quite unhappy with the fact that their dues are being calculated differently than pilots at other carriers in the same union. Now, I think their argument has some holes in it, but frankly, perception is reality. There was a divide in the union that was quite obvious at this BOD over this issue. And after some leadership from the ALPA President, we came out of this BOD with a nearly 80% vote on one of the most contentious issues in the recent history of this union. That's impressive, and I will give him and everyone who was involved in putting the compromise together some credit.
Well, then you need a lesson in English. For us, it is more than that and more than a few dollars per month as you first put it. You can spin it as you like, but it's still a spin.

What do you expect? ALPA is broke or close to it. Rather than sierra charlie some of the high earners at HQ and solving the spending problem, they choose to spend hellaciously and pass the buck on to the hoi polloi.

Sound familiar?

Clueless is a word that comes to mind. ALPA is producing a $2 million budget surplus year-to-date. Hardly "broke." Dues revenue has been steadily increasing every year for several years now.

As far as "hellaciously" spending, perhaps you can provide some examples? Because from my vantage point as one of the people responsible for approving the budget every year, it seems to me that we've cut everything to the bone over the past decade.

Back