Lowers but raised dues?

Those who were paying an effective 1.82% dues rate will now pay the same as someone who does not contribute towards the 401(k). Everyone else is paying 1.95%.

Now, everyone will pay a flat 1.9%.

Are the services you receive from the Association really not worth the extra (20-30 a year for a fairly junior regional FO) to a couple hundred more a year for the senior 747 guy.

Once again, Americans not willing to pay a little bit more for the services that they want. Amazing.

I was never in favor of this proposal....and I'm still not thrilled about it passing. However, I understand why it needed to happen. This simply levels the playing field across the ALPA airlines. I am glad to see it, at a minimum, came w/ a dues reduction, albeit a small one.

No, not the only carrier. Not by a long shot. FedEx, United, Hawaiian, the Canadian carriers, Alaska, etc. It's a ton of pilots. And that doesn't even include the many pilots at the other airlines who will see their dues reduced because they've never been contributing to their 401k plan, so their rate gets cut.
United, no! Continental on the other hand does. This was not a fairness issue.

I expense things as meetings/snacks quite regularly. So does just about every rep at every MEC. Where is the "scandal" in that?

There isn't. I've seen a few things expensed that I kind of raised my eyebrows at, but I never felt like there was some sort of coverup going on. That said, I'm speaking about my experience only and have no idea what is going on at Eagle.

Those who were paying an effective 1.82% dues rate will now pay the same as someone who does not contribute towards the 401(k). Everyone else is paying 1.95%.

Now, everyone will pay a flat 1.9%.

Are the services you receive from the Association really not worth the extra (20-30 a year for a fairly junior regional FO) to a couple hundred more a year for the senior 747 guy.

Once again, Americans not willing to pay a little bit more for the services that they want. Amazing.
Who said anything about Americans not willing to pay? That's quite an extrapolation!

I don't think we should expense booze.

By no means am I a teetotaler, but I'm kind of "up to here" with the stories.

ATN_Pilot said:
Clueless is a word that comes to mind. ALPA is producing a $2 million budget surplus year-to-date. Hardly "broke." Dues revenue has been steadily increasing every year for several years now.

As far as "hellaciously" spending, perhaps you can provide some examples? Because from my vantage point as one of the people responsible for approving the budget every year, it seems to me that we've cut everything to the bone over the past decade.

How about the party and trips you bragged about in other threads. Everyone kept talking about the money to be spent at your function while we were in Vegas.

None of the volunteer organizations with which I am affiliated pay for alcohol while on business. At our SHRM Leadership conference they give us a 1 hour happy hour. Then, on the night of the banquet they serve 2 glasses of wine. That is it. I don't know what ALPA does.

I don't think we should expense booze.

By no means am I a teetotaler, but I'm kind of "up to here" with the stories.

Different MECs have different policies. I implemented a policy at the ATN MEC when I was Vice Chair that prohibited expensing of alcohol except for very special occasions, but that sort of policy is rare. The truth of the matter is, a lot of business gets conducted after meetings over drinks. That's when the politics gets done and the deals get cut to get things done. That's why most MECs allow expensing of drinks (within reason).

We had a 'within reason' policy at one of my previous places. It eventually morphed into 2 drink limit....then, you're on your own. Sadly, a couple people couldn't keep it 'within reason' and it basically ruined it. That's when the hard limit was set.

Back