low time CA pilot tired of instructing

mshunter

About 800TT, and instructing isn't steady enough to pay the bills. any one have anything to offer. Times are approximate.

800TT
730PIC
130IFR
155Multi
200X-country (approx 450 point to point)
30Night

Thanks in advance for any replies. Please send a PM.

Right now you may be lucky to have a flying job. I'd recomend a part time pizza delivery job for Dominos. no kidding, i did it for 10 years while working at fbo's and flying any odd job i could get. Or, if youre willing to make the trek to Alaska you could get a job flying the bush in a C-207. some places pay very well and ya build time quick. just be willing to suffer! you will work your max 14 hr duty day and fly your max 8 hour day limits. the flying out west in the bush isnt mountainous but there is nasty wx, strong winds and icy runways. they WILL hire you with 800 hrs. if youre a stick and rudder guy not wanting to fly a desk at 350 you will love the flying!!!! Try Grant, Hageland, ATS. A friend of mine flies for ATS, they need pilots.
About 800TT, and instructing isn't steady enough to pay the bills. any one have anything to offer. Times are approximate.

800TT
730PIC
130IFR
155Multi
30Night

Try and get to your IFR 135 mins. There are lots of 135 jobs that are still available.

How did you get 130 ifr in socal? I lived there and the Marine layer is only out in the am and the pm during certain seasons and is 200 feet thick.

800TT
730PIC
130IFR
155Multi
30Night

this would boost you to 135 mins and get you out of instructing:

1-02-2009Send to friendUNDERWOOD AERIAL PATROL Pipeline Patrol , Tel: Fax: Web site: www.underwoodairpatrol.com

Details
Pipeline patrol pilots need immediately in Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi area. Position can
expect to fly 20-30 hours per week. 26K to 50,000K per year. Must meet following minimum
requirements: 500 TT Commercial Instrument. To apply, email resume to:
info@underwoodairpatrol.com.

USMC-SSGT- 135 includes sim /hood/actual. I know some people don't think you should count sim/hood, and then again some do. i guess i am a glass half full kinda guy. I look for the days that the wx is horrible, and file for the clouds. And when I was doing my x-country stuff, again, if there were clouds, I'd be flyin in 'em. I remember one flight from Arlington to San Angelo where I was in IMC for all but the takeoff and landing.

JEP - thanks, but getting the family to move out there would be like pulling teeth from an aligator. I have already talked to the wife about that one.

Not to bust your chops too much but I don't think your instrument time is a "glass half full" thing. I know in my logbook, the columns are broken down into sections such as "Aircraft Category", "And Class", "Conditions Of Flight", and "Type Of Piloting Time". The instrument time (both actual and simulated) fall under "Conditions of Flight", so FTD time would not be counted there.

I'm sure you already know this but the reason ATP has you do so much FTD training is because: 1. up to 20 hours can count towards your IRA and 2. up to 50 hours can be counted towards your Commercial. The only other thing that I can think of that FTD time is good for is instrument currency. As I understand it, other than that FTD time is pretty useless.

Personally, I would hate to claim 130 hours of instrument only to get into an interview and answer questions about why I only have 80 hours of instrument time and if I was trying to pencil whip my logbook, etc.

Again, I am not anything close to an authority on the matter, just my two cents. If anybody knows better than I do, please chime in.

Not to bust your chops too much but I don't think your instrument time is a "glass half full" thing. I know in my logbook, the columns are broken down into sections such as "Aircraft Category", "And Class", "Conditions Of Flight", and "Type Of Piloting Time". The instrument time (both actual and simulated) fall under "Conditions of Flight", so FTD time would not be counted there.

I'm sure you already know this but the reason ATP has you do so much FTD training is because: 1. up to 20 hours can count towards your IRA and 2. up to 50 hours can be counted towards your Commercial. The only other thing that I can think of that FTD time is good for is instrument currency. As I understand it, other than that FTD time is pretty useless.

Personally, I would hate to claim 130 hours of instrument only to get into an interview and answer questions about why I only have 80 hours of instrument time and if I was trying to pencil whip my logbook, etc.

Again, I am not anything close to an authority on the matter, just my two cents. If anybody knows better than I do, please chime in.

48 of it is FTD, the rest is either hood or actual.

I am not "pencil whiping" my logbook either. I work at 2 schools, 7 days a week. With so many people bringing this up, how many people are actually doing this anyways? Seems like that anytime someone actually has some drive, and works there arse off, they get accused of breaking some rule. Why would you even accuse someone of something like this who is job hunting. Preaty offensive if you ask me. Or are you still mad about my opnion from another forum?

I am not "pencil whiping" my logbook either. I work at 2 schools, 7 days a week. With so many people bringing this up, how many people are actually doing this anyways? Seems like that anytime someone actually has some drive, and works there arse off, they get accused of breaking some rule. Why would you even accuse someone of something like this who is job hunting. Preaty offensive if you ask me. Or are you still mad about my opnion from another forum?

sooo...what schools do you work at?

48 of it is FTD, the rest is either hood or actual.

I am not accusing you of anything. Go back and re-read my post. I was simply saying that you may go to interview somewhere and then get questioned about your instrument time. I didn't say you are doing anything bad, I was trying to say you may need to be ready to explain it. My other point was that FTD time is good for getting ratings and currency, but I don't think it counts as "flight time" or "instrument time". That is where I was asking people who may know better than I do to respond.

I don't know how many other people brought it up, I thought I was the first. If it has already been brought up then I'm sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse. I was just giving you a little resume advice.

As far as people doctoring their logbooks, it amazes me some of the stuff I hear of people logging. Just the other day I talked to somebody who said they have a couple hundred hours of ME time but they don't have a ME rating...

Just include hood/actual only.

Why don't you want to share what school you work with? It may bring more business, you never know.

Preaty offensive if you ask me.

IMO his post was no where close to offensive and it sounded like he was trying to help you out. You should listen to his advice because he is right.
FTD time or ground trainer time needs to go in their own column not under flight time.
If you need more convincing look up 61.51 G
Just trying to help.

OMG, I know, I know about the FTD time. I have a column in my logbook and it's all loged in that column called "Ground Trainer." And I also know about 61.51 "Pilot Log Books." And it's (g) not (G). As far as considering it "flight time", don't worry, I'm not an idot, and I know it dosen't count towards total time. You haven't gone anywhere in a Frasca 142. So it dosen't count towards flight time. Please quit speaking down to me. The reason I have so much hood time is because of ATP. All x-countries are under the hood. It's been beat to death now. Leave it alone. This thread is about trying to find a job, not a discussion of my logbook, or logbooks in general.

As far as where I work, why is everyone so curious anyways? Does it realy matter. I work at AF in Santa Monica (rarely anymore, I hate it there. They rip people off, i.e. $190/hr solo 172R), and I work at Santa Paula. I absolutely love it there. The only reason I am looking for other work is because I just can't make enough money there. My goal is not to quit, but to find something else to do as well as instruct. Fly jumpers up, tow sailplanes up, tug banners around, fly rubber dog poop from A to B. Anything to keep me flying.

I came from a mechanical background. I spent 9 years with Dodge as a Tech. About 2 years ago, I finally decided to achieve my dreams of makeing a living flying, and haven't looked back since. But, I can't seem to get busy enough at Santa Paula, and AF never calls me anymore for work. I only have 2 days on the schedule anymore at AF, so I think they are upset at me. They also have over hired instructors, so most of the time, it's only a half day of work, and it usually turns out to be a wash money wise for me due to the commute. I have to put the kid in daycare, drive 1hr45 mins(LA traffic stinks), and spend an hour doing paperwork that I'm not getting paid for. It wouldent be a big deal for the paper work, if I actually made a decent wage. But it's a pilot mill and you get the typical low pay.

I know everyone is going to tell me to get a night job, but there aren't any around here. I have looked for about two months now, and no joy. I appricate all the help I have been getting thus far. Thanks for all the input. But please, no more about the log book stuff. I am not "pencil whipping" anything(I use pen anyways). I'm not some punk kid trying to fool everyone either. I am an honest person, with good morals, who is in the middle of a career change trying to make it happen.

Please quit speaking down to me.

You really shouldn't think that we are speaking down to you, there is no evidence of that and it shouldn't be taken as such. It was you added FTD time to your instrument time and all we wanted to do was keep you from applying with your instrument time reflecting that.

Trying to help you on your job search and thanks for correcting me on "g" and not "G", really uncalled for.

I don't dislike you, I don't even know you.

At ATP, I logged the FTD time in a separate logbook. Flight time (hood or actual) is not FTD time, and never the twain shall meet.

Back