low time CA pilot tired of instructing

OMG, I know, I know about the FTD time. I have a column in my logbook and it's all loged in that column called "Ground Trainer." And I also know about 61.51 "Pilot Log Books." And it's (g) not (G). As far as considering it "flight time", don't worry, I'm not an idot, and I know it dosen't count towards total time. You haven't gone anywhere in a Frasca 142. So it dosen't count towards flight time. Please quit speaking down to me. The reason I have so much hood time is because of ATP. All x-countries are under the hood. It's been beat to death now. Leave it alone. This thread is about trying to find a job, not a discussion of my logbook, or logbooks in general.

As far as where I work, why is everyone so curious anyways? Does it realy matter. I work at AF in Santa Monica (rarely anymore, I hate it there. They rip people off, i.e. $190/hr solo 172R), and I work at Santa Paula. I absolutely love it there. The only reason I am looking for other work is because I just can't make enough money there. My goal is not to quit, but to find something else to do as well as instruct. Fly jumpers up, tow sailplanes up, tug banners around, fly rubber dog poop from A to B. Anything to keep me flying.

I came from a mechanical background. I spent 9 years with Dodge as a Tech. About 2 years ago, I finally decided to achieve my dreams of makeing a living flying, and haven't looked back since. But, I can't seem to get busy enough at Santa Paula, and AF never calls me anymore for work. I only have 2 days on the schedule anymore at AF, so I think they are upset at me. They also have over hired instructors, so most of the time, it's only a half day of work, and it usually turns out to be a wash money wise for me due to the commute. I have to put the kid in daycare, drive 1hr45 mins(LA traffic stinks), and spend an hour doing paperwork that I'm not getting paid for. It wouldent be a big deal for the paper work, if I actually made a decent wage. But it's a pilot mill and you get the typical low pay.

I know everyone is going to tell me to get a night job, but there aren't any around here. I have looked for about two months now, and no joy. I appricate all the help I have been getting thus far. Thanks for all the input. But please, no more about the log book stuff. I am not "pencil whipping" anything(I use pen anyways). I'm not some punk kid trying to fool everyone either. I am an honest person, with good morals, who is in the middle of a career change trying to make it happen.

Can you work for AF and fly for others at the same time? What else makes you hate it?

Can you work for AF and fly for others at the same time? What else makes you hate it?

I do, but i'm not supposed to.

The pay is realy lousy. It's a huge commute, and you are treated as a number. Not to mention the team teaching approach they use dosen't sit well with me. If I get in an airplane with a student, and he/she has been tought something one way, now I am expected to teach it that way, and it may not be correct, or eaisly understood. I also think that that leads to a lot of student confusion, costing the student more money, time, and effort than it should take. I also think that $12-14k for a private cert is a rip-off. If they are charging that much, they should be able to pay better than that. Their equipment isn't realy that well maintanied. It's flyable, and legal, but not always the best way to repair stuff. The way they work it is they get people who don't have an A&P working on their airplanes with little to no supervision. I had a 172RG that I was flying that for about 3 weeks, every other time I cycled the gear, I had to hand pump it. And the uniforms totally suck. I shoulden't have to spend my whole paycheck on 3 days worth of uniforms. They are not furnished for you, nor do you get an allowence for them. You wear slacks, a collared shirt, and a tie. Not that big of a deal, but if I am going to dress like I am getting paid, I expect to get paid, or have the uniforms furnished.

The flying is good. You work in some preaty busy airspace. And the guys I worked with (most of them) were great. But I did have a few instances where other instructors would question things infront of the student. For example, I was takeing a student to a field where the winds were realy blowing, and it was going to be a good x-wind. He was progressing well, and I thought I would test his skills. She went up in a tiff about it, got all upset with me infront of the student, and shot the students confidence out of the water with my instructor abilities. I also got in an airplane with a student who was high on final, WAY HIGH. But we were about 1 1/2 miles out. So I told him to slip it down. He freaked out and said "OMG, we can't slip with flaps in a 172!!!!!!" Read the POH, it tells you to avoid it. It says nothing about it being prohibited. It even tells you why it's dangerous. You will feel a buffet to begin in the elevator. So we canceled our approach, went back out to the practice area and I showed him. I allowed him to fly out there, while I got the POH out and showed him what it said. Then I showed him what the buffet was. This is just two examples of all the CFI's not being on the same page, after we have all been "standardized." A lot of good that did. What going to happen when those students get their private, have an engine failure, and end up long because they were told you can't slip a 172 with flaps? Because lets face it, there are some instructors out there who somehow manage to have a student pass a checkride without teaching them what they need.

There is no shame in "pencil whipping" instrument time. Who cares. Not many airlines require 100 hours instrument but for those that do, they're not going to know how the weather was on a monday 9 months ago between 2 to 4pm. Even then I've never been asked specifics about anything other than TT, ever, most didn't even check it.

Couple things:

1. In this market, with your level of experience, you should probably consider yourself lucky to even have a flying job right now.

2. Try Channel Islands Aviation over in Camarillo. They pay their instructors well, and seem to keep them busy.

Couple things:

1. In this market, with your level of experience, you should probably consider yourself lucky to even have a flying job right now.

2. Try Channel Islands Aviation over in Camarillo. They pay their instructors well, and seem to keep them busy.

I tried them, befor I am where I'm at now, and one of the guys I work with used to be their chief flight instructor. I also have a former classmate who works there. Don't get the wrong impression. I love where I work, I am looking to keep that job, and find something else to supplement. I dont want to go anywhere. The place i'm at now is going to be very hard to leave. They treat me like a member of the family, not an employee.

And in reply to Bunghole, how many times does it take submitting a resume to IFTA before you even get a return phone call. Before they even were posting CFI jobs, I had sent them a resume, and no call. Then they posted that they were, still no call. So I called them, numerous times, left messages, and still no call? I'd love to get into anything Beech, they just make good airplanes.

mshunter, if after all that, perhaps a visit is in order. If admin is unavailable to schedule perhaps you should just show up and work your way up to meeting the "right" persons. It's called a cold call and it does pay off. Be tenacious and assertive but not overtly aggressive. Show them why you should be on their team.

mshunter, if after all that, perhaps a visit is in order. If admin is unavailable to schedule perhaps you should just show up and work your way up to meeting the "right" persons. It's called a cold call and it does pay off. Be tenacious and assertive but not overtly aggressive. Show them why you should be on their team.

if I geta chance to make the drive to Bakers-smell, or the a day where I don't have the typical 2 hour block, I just may. I think the ladies name is Judy or Janet. Does anyone know?

Edit: Just checked their website, "We have reached our staffing goals." I meat their quals, and never even recived a return e-mail phone call.:mad:

if I geta chance to make the drive to Bakers-smell, or the a day where I don't have the typical 2 hour block, I just may. I think the ladies name is Judy or Janet. Does anyone know?

Driving might work if you can get past their security guard. If you don't have a reason and an appointment to be there, you won't be let past.

Many companies will not return your calls, emails, or even acknowledge your existence if they don't consider you to be a candidate. I've not had a need to hire instructors for over four years and I still get resumes. Due to my time on this planet being extremely limited, not all of those instructors get a response.

Exactly, usually in aviation if someone wants you, you'll find out even before you apply. If it takes more than 34 hours to get a response, they don't need you.

There is no shame in "pencil whipping" instrument time. Who cares. Not many airlines require 100 hours instrument but for those that do, they're not going to know how the weather was on a monday 9 months ago between 2 to 4pm. Even then I've never been asked specifics about anything other than TT, ever, most didn't even check it.
I'm sorry... what?

Not sure why I'm wasting my time but I find it ironic that someone makes a post looking for a job when his qualifications are pretty lacking in the current market and then acts standoffish.
Yeah let me run through my contacts to see if I can land this guy a job...:sarcasm:

Oh, okay. It looked like you were saying it was okay to falsify a logbook.

Saying you did .5 actual instead of .1 is not falsifying a log book. Logging 29 hours in a citation when you haven't flown it is falsifying a log book.

Saying you did .5 actual instead of .1 is not falsifying a log book. Logging 29 hours in a citation when you haven't flown it is falsifying a log book.

Taking an intermission from making some potato salad and I've got to ask: huh?!

Oh. Good to know!

For future reference, how much instrument time can I add on top of what I actually flew before it becomes falsifying?

And since this is perfectly legitimate and no big deal you won't mind sharing your real name and what company you fly for, right?

Oh. Good to know!

For future reference, how much instrument time can I add on top of what I actually flew before it becomes falsifying?

And since this is perfectly legitimate and no big deal you won't mind sharing your real name and what company you fly for, right?

Ok dude. Next time you fly .038479 actual you better have it correct on your log book because they're going to get you.

Okay... let's be very clear here. I'll give you there's a very big difference between estimating and "pencil whipping."

For example, on a standard 7 hour night at the freight job I used to have, I'd do my very best to estimate my actual IMC time. It certainly wasn't prefect, but I did my best. If that's what you are talking about, I agree with you.

But above, you did use the words "pencil whip," which is a common phrase for falsify. If on my standard 7 hour night I estimated I got 1.1 of actual, but then wrote 2.5 instead, THAT would be pencil-whipping.

So which is it? You faking it or estimating it?

Back