Lost my mother this week.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Glad you got to spend the time with her. My mother just had a stroke to and still on the long road home.

Sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful woman who was loved very much and touched many lives. May peace be with her, you, and your family.

Sorry about your loss, man. I lost my dad back in 1998 and it's something I have to "work on" daily.

Sorry about your loss, man. I lost my dad back in 1998 and it's something I have to "work on" daily.

Thank you and thank you all again for your support. Derg, I can see what you mean by "work on" that daily.

You're going to have good days and you're going to have bad days.

That just means they were a good parent and you were loved.

Thank you and thank you all again for your support. Derg, I can see what you mean by "work on" that daily.

You will be in my prayers. I know not everyone is as fortunate to be surrounded by loved ones before their passing. That is truly a blessing in disguise what Hurricane Sandy caused your mother to do in her last few weeks.

I can't believe it's been a year (to the day) since my mother passed away. Many of you have offered condolences and support and every bit helped. So...today my wife is making my mother's famous pasta sauce, meatballs and raviolis and for dessert her favorite pistachio cake. Growing up in Rosedale/Long Island my friends always managed to show up on Sunday, and there was always more than enough for everybody. Our house was always open to anybody that showed up. So many times I would come out of the shower or wake up to see my friends in my living room.

sauce.jpg

mom.jpg

Here she is, all 5 ft 105 lbs of her with my nephews. I'm 6'3" 230 so there always was joking about that. These were taken in December 2012 in her home in Island Park.

Last edited:
Love lasts forever. It's the only thing that does. And what you learned from her will be with you always and you'll pass that on to others. You have your memories too, of all the special moments. In that way, your Mom lives on. I am glad to see you celebrating her life, her love and what she meant to you and others.

Time helps.....but it will never completely numb the pain. I lost my mother 11 years ago (I was only 16 at the time), and it's still tough. Having to live a majority of one's life without a parent isn't a fate I would wish on anyone.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and family. Sounds like your mom was a wonderful woman. It is nice you were able to spend some time with her, which can be a challenge for some of us that are on the road a lot or based away from family. Thank you for sharing

This was a great surprise to me this weekend. I found a bag of Christmas tree ornaments from my childhood in Germany in my garage. I thought my mother gave the ornaments to my sister in law to hand to her son (my nephew). I never knew they were there. So I (of course was a little jealous) all this time. I never said anything. But when I was cleaning out my garage this weekend I looked in a box from my mothers house when she moved in with me when her house was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy. I found 12 .5 liter beer glasses from Germany (1960's era) and my childhood Christmas tree ornaments. Man I was happy to find them. I showed my wife and told her stories. They will be on the tree this year.

ornaments.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my mother about a year ago, on her 77th birthday.

I'm glad you got to spend some time with her before she passed on.

CJ

I shared this with my friends in NY and my family this week. Everyone thought it was great. On my first day of packing to move into our new home we bought this month, I found this note from my mother with in 30 minutes of packing. Everyone thought it was a pretty good sign. I'm guessing I paid it.

Mom's note.jpg

It's pretty amazing when you can still share, be touched and have special moments with your loved ones who have passed on. Might come from a photo, some object, a sunset, a place, a letter or note, some momento or a song you shared, just many things. Like I said to you when you first posted about your Mom, there are enumerable ways that she is still with you and that will keep you connected to her forever.

Congrats on the house.

Back