Lost my mother this week.

Oxman

My mother lost her home was forced to retire as a result of Hurricane Sandy. So she decided to visit different family members after staying with me for two and a half months (Nov-Jan) before finally settling in Vegas to retire with her sister. While she was with her brother she had a stroke. During her stay in the hospital the doctors diagnosed her with stage 4 terminal cancer. The outlook wasn't good. It was then I flew to Vegas two weeks ago to be with her everyday. She spent her last days in hospice completely comfortable with her sister and I at her side everyday, all day and night. She passed away peacefully in her sleep after a two week fight with cancer. Her funeral was Saturday. She was always one to put everybody else before herself.

I'm very sorry to hear that. It sounds like your mother was very fortunate to have her family with her during her last several days, which I'm sure was a comfort to her. It takes a strong person to suffer so much yet still put others first, and it sounds like your mother was just that. The world needs more people like that.

So very sorry man. It's wonderful that you got to spend that time with her. We don't all get that chance. :(

Bill, prayers are still with you man. I never thought about this after you got her out of New York, but maybe Sandy was a blessing in disguise for you. You probably wouldn't have had that much time with her in the end had it not been for all the flooding on Long Island. Again, give me a shout if you need anything.

Sorry about your mother.

I am always amazed by the compassion and service of the hospice people.

I'm sorry to hear, I'm really glad you were able to be with her. You need anything pm me and I will do what I can

Rest in peace, sounds like a very compassionate woman. I'm glad you were able to say goodbye and that you have good memories. Keep trucking man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am so sorry. It was good that you got to be with her and that will bring you some comfort. You will find yourself seeing things as you experience life and saying "Mom would like that." She is with you when that happens. It happens with me and my Mom who passed away 10 years ago next month. I was upset at first, now I smile and thank her for looking out for me. Hugs to you.

I'm so sorry man....I lost my mom 10 years ago. I was 16. It's great that you were able to be with her in those final moments.

R.I.P. :(

Thank you all for the support. Like Drew (Pilotforhire587) says. Maybe Hurricane Sandy was a blessing in disguise. We got to spend a lot of time together and she with my golden retriever.

I can't say enough good things about the caring professionals at St. Rose De lima Hospital in Henderson, NV and Nathan Adelson Hospice in Las Vegas. My aunt who is nurse for the last 45 years (Manhattan, NY and Vegas) says she hasn't seen care that thorough in any other place in her career.

My Sympathies, while there is no way I can truly know how you feel, I too am dealing with my mother dying. Yesterday I put my mother in Inpatient hospice care. Despite her wishes to die at home, and her husbands wishes, at home hospice simply was not controlling her pain or nausea. Yesterday and today are the first in a while where she truly looks comfortable. For those wish to pray. Please pray that she remains comfortable to the end.

It is so difficult to lose anyone that we love, but when it's a spouse or a child, or a relative and especially a parent, it's the worst really. It was wonderful that you could spend so much time with her in her last weeks. The only thing that I can promise you, is that you will never lose the love that you feel right now for your Mom or the experience of the love that you felt from her. That never dies or fades. You will always have her memories and the experiences that you shared, the conversations, the jokes, the meals, the celebrations, so many things large and small and you'll often remember her smile, her words, something she did for you as a child or an adult and those feelings, along with those memories will follow you the rest of your days. She will be in your heart always. In those ways, she will always be with you and you two will only be apart physically. I am so very sorry for your loss. I miss my parents often and think of them all the time. I have talks with them from time to time though and look at their photos or momentos and think of the things and the life that we shared together, still hear their words and feel the love. It will be the same for you, I promise.

I'm sorry to hear that, Ocdflyboy. My aunt past a few years ago and her situation was similar (minus the hurricane). You have my condolences.

I'm glad to hear that you got to spend so much time with her before she left. I hope you are doing well.

Back