Longing for the ‘golden age’ of air travel? Be careful what you wish for

I wish air travel was like that in our modern world. I've never had a steak on an airplane, perhaps someday I will.
We occasionally serve a hamburger for the arrival meal. 2/10 don't recommend and that's probably as close to a steak as you'll get.

Anytime a movie set way back when and it shows a sex scene all I can think about is the smell and hair everywhere. Smell my musk after I take off this heavy leather and steel armor that I’ve been moving around in all day every day for the last several years with nary time to bathe!
I thought I was the only one. It seems…. Itchy and sticky. And smelly.

The absolute best I've experienced is ANA business class.

Yes, they are the gold standard IMO. I flew “ANA First” last year from NRT-LAX, and I just didn’t want the flight to end it was all just so amazing! Literally some of the best food I’ve had in my life on that flight, along with 21 year Hibiki whiskey (yes, the same as from the movie “Lost in Translation”). ANA’s “The Suite” was awesome, you don’t even feel like you’re in an airplane.

The Asian carriers in general are excellent. I’ve flown numerous times in business long haul with ANA, JAL, Singapore, and Cathay. All are absolutely top notch, with outstanding food and service. I’ve never flown Emirates, as it usually just doesn’t make sense logically for me to use them from Asia to the western US. But they are definitely way up there as well from what I hear.

The European carriers are way more hit and miss. Someone mentioned Turkish, but after seeing some of their reviews last year I was not impressed.

I flew KLM business from AMS-SIN last year, and definitely not doing that again. The cabin crew was nice, but the seats and food were way below even what the US carriers offer. Also the airport experience with KLM at AMS was shockingly bad. Lufthansa has enough bad reviews that I am hesitant to ever try them.

For US carriers, I fly mostly United and they’ve REALLY improved in the last year. Cabin service (Polaris) is quite good now, and the food is pretty decent too. They treat Global Service/P1K members quite well. The Polaris lounges in SFO and EWR are nice, although every single domestic lounge is now so busy I just don’t even bother. They need to do something about increasing the bar to entry for the lounges, as elitist as that sounds. They just simply aren’t usable at this point.

Yes, they are the gold standard IMO. I flew “ANA First” last year from NRT-LAX, and I just didn’t want the flight to end it was all just so amazing! Literally some of the best food I’ve had in my life on that flight, along with 21 year Hibiki whiskey (yes, the same as from the movie “Lost in Translation”). ANA’s “The Suite” was awesome, you don’t even feel like you’re in an airplane.

The Asian carriers in general are excellent. I’ve flown numerous times in business long haul with ANA, JAL, Singapore, and Cathay. All are absolutely top notch, with outstanding food and service. I’ve never flown Emirates, as it usually just doesn’t make sense logically for me to use them from Asia to the western US. But they are definitely way up there as well from what I hear.

The European carriers are way more hit and miss. Someone mentioned Turkish, but after seeing some of their reviews last year I was not impressed.

I flew KLM business from AMS-SIN last year, and definitely not doing that again. The cabin crew was nice, but the seats and food were way below even what the US carriers offer. Also the airport experience with KLM at AMS was shockingly bad. Lufthansa has enough bad reviews that I am hesitant to ever try them.

For US carriers, I fly mostly United and they’ve REALLY improved in the last year. Cabin service (Polaris) is quite good now, and the food is pretty decent too. They treat Global Service/P1K members quite well. The Polaris lounges in SFO and EWR are nice, although every single domestic lounge is now so busy I just don’t even bother. They need to do something about increasing the bar to entry for the lounges, as elitist as that sounds. They just simply aren’t usable at this point.
Think we're gonna hit Japow next year and plan to burn some Amex points on ANA. Let me know if you wanna shred!

Anytime a movie set way back when and it shows a sex scene all I can think about is the smell and hair everywhere. Smell my musk after I take off this heavy leather and steel armor that I’ve been moving around in all day every day for the last several years with nary time to bathe!

Yep. You know the Middle Ages had to have been an awfully smelly place. I laugh when I hear anyone say "I wish I lived back then and was a knight or a princess" I'd give them 5 minutes or less before they start clicking their heels 3 times wanting to go home.

This is fun.

Through the 1930s and into the 1940s, almost everyone flew first class. Airlines did encourage more people to fly in the 1950s and 1960s by introducing coach or tourist fares, but the savings were relative: less expensive than first class, but still pricey. In 1955, for example, so-called “bargain fares” from New York to Paris were the equivalent of just over $3,200 in 2023 dollars. Although the advent of jets did result in lower fares, the cost was still out of reach of most Americans. The most likely frequent flier was a white, male businessman traveling on his company’s expense account, and in the 1960s, airlines – with young attractive stewardesses in short skirts – clearly catered to their most frequent fliers.

View attachment 70053

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/golden-age-of-air-travel-downsides/index.html

View attachment 70054

People also forget that well into the 1960s, air travel was far more dangerous than it is today. In the 1950s and 1960s US airlines experienced at least a half dozen crashes per year – most leading to fatalities of all on board. People today may bemoan the crowded airplanes and lack of on-board amenities, but the number of fatalities per million miles flown has dropped dramatically since the late 1970s, especially compared to the 1960s. Through at least the 1970s, airports even prominently featured kiosks selling flight insurance.

I still don't understand this, although several here have been patient in trying to explain it to me.

I was a kid, and a generally unsubsidized one, in the 1968 - 1972 timeframe (my parents didn't buy my tickets). I saved my school lunch money (35 cents/day) and my 50 cent/later dollar a week allowance - chores required and contributed my own minimum wage earnings once I entered the job market, in order to fly places. The cost wasn't onerous in the least. As a student, I flew every February school vacation during that timeframe for a week long visit to my grandparents (BOS-FWA, with either a stop or change in CLE) on UAL. BOS-PWM (or vice versa) was - I think - $11 one way on a NEA DC9 or 727 or an Executive Twin Otter. Flew PWM - HYA on Executive. Flew BOS - FWA (via CLE) on United, also ORD to FWA. Mohawk offered a $29.95 fare valid from Friday 6pm to Sunday 6pm anywhere on their system, without reservations, which I used just for the hell of it three times. In later years military fare helped the cost, I suppose (although at the time we had to travel in uniform). Even my honeymoon from San Antonio to Puerto Vallarta on Mexicana wasn't "out of sight" expensive.

Maybe it was the student fare aspect, or the military fare when I traveled back home on leave. Of course, it was always coach (but decent seats and meal service as appropriate). I flew a lot of miles at prices which were achievable to me as a working high school student or a lowly airman basic. It wasn't "just" for the wealthy or those of means, at least in my experience.

Do I 'log' for the (cough) "Golden Age" of aviation?

No, not at all.

The only thing golden about it was the leg room.

I have: My experiences have varied greatly.

I have flown business on Lufthansa the steak, a filet and cooked a little over how I like it, but overall pretty good.

I have received steak in crewmeals through where I work at a fractional, it was cold you need to re-heat in the micowave...meh.

On the C-5 we have ovens, I learned how to get creative and cook the steak in said oven, that's the best.
I have an honest question for you. Your avatar is a picture of an airplane that I spent literally thousands of hours working on. What connection do you have to that airplane? I'll also say that if you want to use a picture of the bearcat as an avatar you should use the gold/white paint scheme, it was much faster at that point and your picture is a neutered version of what we were working towards.

Do I 'log' for the (cough) "Golden Age" of aviation?

No, not at all.

The only thing golden about it was the leg room.
Do you "log"? I do normally every morning after my coffee but before my shower. I don't "log" for aviation, I "log" because eating is necessary and I'm not efficient enough to use all of what I consume and I produce waste. Everyone 'logs".

I have an honest question for you. Your avatar is a picture of an airplane that I spent literally thousands of hours working on. What connection do you have to that airplane? I'll also say that if you want to use a picture of the bearcat as an avatar you should use the gold/white paint scheme, it was much faster at that point and your picture is a neutered version of what we were working towards.

I have no connection to Rarebear other than a fan. I took that picture at Reno. We have several Rarebear pictures in our house and I read Rourk's book. The wife is a bigger fan than I am.

20230301_145741.jpg20230301_145931.jpg20230301_145948.jpg20230301_150000.jpg

Last edited:
I have no connection to Rarebear other than a fan. I took that picture at Reno. We have several Rarebear pictures in our house and I read Rourk's book. The wife is a bigger fan than I am.

View attachment 70074View attachment 70073View attachment 70072View attachment 70071
I have that book. All of my time with it was when it had the three blade, I loved the fact that with that gold/white paint job that would be considered "understated" for an air racer it was still the most "radical" looking plane on the ramp and it was fast. I have one of these signed by Lyle and Tiger, do you want it? You can give it to your wife.
1677714074247.jpeg

I have all of this "stuff", I suspect it's valuable to only a very certain group, yet I hang on to it. I've got a piston, a rocker arm and a spark plug. The spark plug is actually special, they were custom built by Champion and despite the fact that they were a sponsor they still cost $1500 a piece. I dropped one and it was given to me, I can only say that because we ran basically on a shoestring budget owning one of these plugs was not something to be proud of. I'm honestly not sure what to do with this stuff, my ex wife called it junk, and it literally is just scrap airplane parts. Does your wife want it?
C4FC45A4-B3CF-4E7F-BB60-92BBA3F694A9.jpeg
25A21457-1427-4E3F-BC3F-3CB6760AC2A4.jpeg

“Home in three days. Don’t bathe”

-Napoleon. Maybe. Or maybe not.

I have that book. All of my time with it was when it had the three blade, I loved the fact that with that gold/white paint job that would be considered "understated" for an air racer it was still the most "radical" looking plane on the ramp and it was fast. I have one of these signed by Lyle and Tiger, do you want it? You can give it to your wife.
View attachment 70076
I'd be honored the wife is mobilized right now, she would like that when she gets back.

I'd be honored the wife is mobilized right now, she would like that when she gets back.
I'll tell you what, I'll give that poster to your wife (we can figure out the shipping) if you change your avatar to this and never change it again...
C4C68D3B-20BC-4BDD-B52C-B9B09DED9642.jpeg

Before anyone asks, there was no beta. It was a Hamilton Standard prop hub from a Lockheed Constellation 1649 using modified P-3 blades. I can say with absolute certainty that it's the only one ever built. It looks like a comic book artists version but it was actually engineered by folks that worked for Lockheed and Hamilton Standard. Was it a bit much and kind of "unruly"? Yes it was, especially when it passed people. I heard that prop is hanging on a wall in a hangar in Texas somewhere. It'll never be replicated or overhauled, the company that actually built and maintained it (fair disclosure, I used to work there) is defunct. The noise that airplane made when it was running fast would shake your innards when it went by. It was a deep bass note as opposed to the high pitch of the V-12s. It was a hell of a ride.

Last edited:
Back