Longing for the ‘golden age’ of air travel? Be careful what you wish for

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
This is fun.

Through the 1930s and into the 1940s, almost everyone flew first class. Airlines did encourage more people to fly in the 1950s and 1960s by introducing coach or tourist fares, but the savings were relative: less expensive than first class, but still pricey. In 1955, for example, so-called “bargain fares” from New York to Paris were the equivalent of just over $3,200 in 2023 dollars. Although the advent of jets did result in lower fares, the cost was still out of reach of most Americans. The most likely frequent flier was a white, male businessman traveling on his company’s expense account, and in the 1960s, airlines – with young attractive stewardesses in short skirts – clearly catered to their most frequent fliers.

1677624885339.png

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/golden-age-of-air-travel-downsides/index.html

1677624957887.png

People also forget that well into the 1960s, air travel was far more dangerous than it is today. In the 1950s and 1960s US airlines experienced at least a half dozen crashes per year – most leading to fatalities of all on board. People today may bemoan the crowded airplanes and lack of on-board amenities, but the number of fatalities per million miles flown has dropped dramatically since the late 1970s, especially compared to the 1960s. Through at least the 1970s, airports even prominently featured kiosks selling flight insurance.

I wish air travel was like that in our modern world. I've never had a steak on an airplane, perhaps someday I will.

I wish air travel was like that in our modern world. I've never had a steak on an airplane, perhaps someday I will.

I have, it was a crew meal though. But somehow it wasn’t overcooked......which made me confused and slightly scared

Happens in 91/135 land. Along with a really nice seafood tray and appropriate adult beverages.
One of the advantages of 91 land. The cabin crew takes great care of us! Blows my mind what they can make in the easy bake oven.

Some of the foreign carriers I’ve flown on have restaurant quality food even in coach. Haven’t found that on a US airline yet.

Some of the foreign carriers I’ve flown on have restaurant quality food even in coach. Haven’t found that on a US airline yet.

People keep telling me that Turkish Airlines is the best-kept-secret in travel. Apparently an outstanding FF program and excellent service.

People keep telling me that Turkish Airlines is the best-kept-secret in travel. Apparently an outstanding FF program and excellent service.

The service on the plane is top notch. Customer service in every other department is absolutely terrible. We won’t fly on Turkish again after our experience last year.

I have: My experiences have varied greatly.

I have flown business on Lufthansa the steak, a filet and cooked a little over how I like it, but overall pretty good.

I have received steak in crewmeals through where I work at a fractional, it was cold you need to re-heat in the micowave...meh.

On the C-5 we have ovens, I learned how to get creative and cook the steak in said oven, that's the best.

Everyone looks at the pretty pictures of everyone dressed up from the 30s and 40s….dressed to the nines…

But air conditioning was rare and pictures aren’t smell-o-vision.

Anytime a movie set way back when and it shows a sex scene all I can think about is the smell and hair everywhere. Smell my musk after I take off this heavy leather and steel armor that I’ve been moving around in all day every day for the last several years with nary time to bathe!

I’m glad you mentioned this.

You must now start reading The Merchant Princes series from Charles Stross.

Seriously. Right up your alley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back