Long X Country from Florida to Brazil

While I have no similar experience this does remind me of something. Someone wrote a chapter in a book about a similar journey in the opposite direction.

I believe it’s titled Fate is the Hunter.

What plane are you taking? Going solo? IFR rated lol?

Last but not least, what kind of camera are you bringing and how are you planning on uploading the pictures to Jetcareers from Brazil when you get there?

It will be a 172, have an IR, and I will be solo. I’ve flown to Aruba before, but never the east side of South America. I think this time around I will buy a nice camera because there will be lots of great photo ops en route.

I will see if I can find that book online (although the title worries me).

It will be a 172, have an IR, and I will be solo. I’ve flown to Aruba before, but never the east side of South America. I think this time around I will buy a nice camera because there will be lots of great photo ops en route.

I will see if I can find that book online (although the title worries me).
You've never read Fate is the Hunter? I thought it was part of the PPL training curriculum, although by the time I did my PPL I'd already read it a couple of times. Don't worry about a search for the title, look up the author, Ernest K. Gann. He wrote more than one book.

While I have no similar experience this does remind me of something. Someone wrote a chapter in a book about a similar journey in the opposite direction.

I believe it’s titled Fate is the Hunter.

What plane are you taking? Going solo? IFR rated lol?

Last but not least, what kind of camera are you bringing and how are you planning on uploading the pictures to Jetcareers from Brazil when you get there?

Except the OP isn't going down there to change people's employment outlook and etc. So I'm sure that the mysterious problems that plagued E.K.G. (water in the oil reservoir, malaria, blank charts, questionable ground services) shouldn't apply.

Very cool journey. I recommending you get a couple of good (long) lenses for your camera. Wish I could give you some PIREPS, but I've only done 121 flying throughout the region.

You've never read Fate is the Hunter? I thought it was part of the PPL training curriculum, although by the time I did my PPL I'd already read it a couple of times. Don't worry about a search for the title, look up the author, Ernest K. Gann. He wrote more than one book.

I read it every couple of years it seems, each time as I grow in experience in my career I learn something new.

Effective June 17 a visa is no longer required for entry. You may want to look into if you have to import/export the aircraft on departure /arrival.

Radios over the jungle in Brazil make the worst HF sound good.

Go to Foz and visit the falls. They are amazing.

Effective June 17 a visa is no longer required for entry. You may want to look into if you have to import/export the aircraft on departure /arrival.

Radios over the jungle in Brazil make the worst HF sound good.

Go to Foz and visit the falls. They are amazing.

Yes, I am aware of that. Thanks. However, I have heard bad things about Trinidad and Suriname regarding landing fees, customs, and the availability of fuel. Those countries, in particular, concern me most.

I once met a guy that flew an Arrow down to South America and the first leg was Key West to Cancun. He figured the 350 mile stretch over water was less risky than Island hoping down the chain.

That would be awesome. I speak some Portuguese, but obviously she speaks English. Thanks.
I am the Brazilian controller he mentioned, I work at Curitiba Center (SBCW). So if you are going to Rio or even the Iguazu Falls that’s my area. But I also have atc friends across the country from the other FIRs and TMAs (we only have 5 FIRs). Feel free to ask whatever you want about Brazil, I know or I know where to find anything about our regulations that might be relevant for your flight.

First tip: “obviously she speaks English” I hope you said that cuz November knows me but if you said that cuz I’m ATC then that’s the first tip about Brazil: stick to the phraseology cuz most of the controllers are not proficient in English, specially those at the Amazonic Center. So yeah, you should take a look at ICAO phraseology.

I once met a guy that flew an Arrow down to South America and the first leg was Key West to Cancun. He figured the 350 mile stretch over water was less risky than Island hoping down the chain.

Yes, that’s doable, but I don’t know enough about the Andes (if there any passes) to venture down the west coast. I’ve done the 400 mile leg between Puerto Rico and Aruba. Island hopping costs money and I have heard there are shady handlers waiting there to exploit us.

Last edited:
I am the Brazilian controller he mentioned, I work at Curitiba Center (SBCW). So if you are going to Rio or even the Iguazu Falls that’s my area. But I also have atc friends across the country from the other FIRs and TMAs (we only have 5 FIRs). Feel free to ask whatever you want about Brazil, I know or I know where to find anything about our regulations that might be relevant for your flight.

First tip: “obviously she speaks English” I hope you said that cuz November knows me but if you said that cuz I’m ATC then that’s the first tip about Brazil: stick to the phraseology cuz most of the controllers are not proficient in English, specially those at the Amazonic Center. So yeah, you should take a look at ICAO phraseology.

I will be flying a 172, hence stopping often. Before entering Brasil, I understand paperwork must be filed with the aviation authority. Is this accurate?

My plan was to hug the coast to Porto Seguro, then head west to Campo Grande. Will I have to file flight plans at every airport I stop at? Is it possible to just get flight following? And if I run into IMC, can I pick up IFR in the air? And how organized is ATC in Brasil? My flights through the Caribbean were quite frustrating because every time I was handed off the next controller had no idea who I was or where I was going.

Thanks in advance.

I will be flying a 172, hence stopping often. Before entering Brasil, I understand paperwork must be filed with the aviation authority. Is this accurate?

My plan was to hug the coast to Porto Seguro, then head west to Campo Grande. Will I have to file flight plans at every airport I stop at? Is it possible to just get flight following? And if I run into IMC, can I pick up IFR in the air? And how organized is ATC in Brasil? My flights through the Caribbean were quite frustrating because every time I was handed off the next controller had no idea who I was or where I was going.

Thanks in advance.
I'll never get over Campo Grande...

Thanks in advance.

First of all: there is no such a thing as flight following in Brazil. If you are flying VFR then you don't even need to contact me if you are on G airspace (you must check NOTAMs but in my FIR specifically you don't contact me unless you are on 3 sectors, those are the sectors 14, 15 and 16, from FOZ to CUB - west of Campo Grande). You will still have to file a flight plan though even if you don't enter those sectors where you must contact me, it won't be available to me that's why if you change to IFR in the air I will sound lost and ask your DEP airport, destination, final FL/altitude, type of aircraft and ask where you filed your flight plan. Then I will check with the guys that have access to the system with all the filed flight plans to my FIR to search it for me and I will ask them to activate it. But if you haven't filed a flight plan I will have to file it for you and you will be reported and pay an expensive fee. So: FILE YOUR FLIGHT PLAN. Where? CGNA - Login or at every airport with an AIS room (what is it called there?) available.

The G airspace is from AGL to FL150 - if I am not mistaken that applies to all the FIRs in the country, maybe except Atlantico FIR - above that it is all A airspace. There are a few CTAs, you can also find about them on the charts, and they are usually D.
Radar surveillance service is provided starting on FL150 and the last VFR FL available is FL145. That's why if you are on FL145 you have no radar surveillance and I cannot provide that flight following thing (again that's not even regulated here).
AIP-BRASIL and the charts along with NOTAMs you can get them at AISWEB - Informações Aeronáuticas do Brasil

International flight entering Brazil? You MUST file your flight plan and obviously your first destination must be an international airport with customs services. I don't know exactly the procedure to get the authorisation to enter Brazilian airspace, probably you must file paperwork with ANAC. This one I can find out and get the answer later.

Before you go, I’d check with some GA clubs and get the REAL story for the countries you want to visit. Brazil is not friendly to itinerant GA or GA in general.

Back