Long X Country from Florida to Brazil

Here’s a thread from Beechtalk where a guy flew his 58P down and back:

He had a handler. These are people who “grease” your trip and are pretty much necessary for GA outside North America and a few other places.

I've done many ferries to many places in South America. @Richman nailed it. You really, really, really want to get yourself a competent handler on the planning side (permitting, etc.) You want that person to arrange solid ground handlers at your stops. If you don't get good handlers (there are lots of bad ones) things could go south on you very rapidly (and potentially, very seriously). That said, some countries are much sketchier than others, and within any given country some aerodromes are much sketchier than others. Get some competent handler assistance.

Point is, GA in North America, especially the US & Canada is unlike anywhere else in the world. Aus-NZ are in the next rung down, but are considerably higher on the fussy-meter.

It would be a big mistake to think everywhere is the way it is here. You can get pinched bad.

First of all: there is no such a thing as flight following in Brazil. If you are flying VFR then you don't even need to contact me if you are on G airspace (you must check NOTAMs but in my FIR specifically you don't contact me unless you are on 3 sectors, those are the sectors 14, 15 and 16, from FOZ to CUB - west of Campo Grande). You will still have to file a flight plan though even if you don't enter those sectors where you must contact me, it won't be available to me that's why if you change to IFR in the air I will sound lost and ask your DEP airport, destination, final FL/altitude, type of aircraft and ask where you filed your flight plan. Then I will check with the guys that have access to the system with all the filed flight plans to my FIR to search it for me and I will ask them to activate it. But if you haven't filed a flight plan I will have to file it for you and you will be reported and pay an expensive fee. So: FILE YOUR FLIGHT PLAN. Where? CGNA - Login or at every airport with an AIS room (what is it called there?) available.

The G airspace is from AGL to FL150 - if I am not mistaken that applies to all the FIRs in the country, maybe except Atlantico FIR - above that it is all A airspace. There are a few CTAs, you can also find about them on the charts, and they are usually D.
Radar surveillance service is provided starting on FL150 and the last VFR FL available is FL145. That's why if you are on FL145 you have no radar surveillance and I cannot provide that flight following thing (again that's not even regulated here).
AIP-BRASIL and the charts along with NOTAMs you can get them at AISWEB - Informações Aeronáuticas do Brasil

International flight entering Brazil? You MUST file your flight plan and obviously your first destination must be an international airport with customs services. I don't know exactly the procedure to get the authorisation to enter Brazilian airspace, probably you must file paperwork with ANAC. This one I can find out and get the answer later.

Obrigado!

Here’s a thread from Beechtalk where a guy flew his 58P down and back:

He had a handler. These are people who “grease” your trip and are pretty much necessary for GA outside North America and a few other places.

On the comments section in Foreflight (for each airport) pilots recommend a handler. Are you suggesting an a la carte type of handler for each airport, or hire a planning service to take care of flight planning and handlers for the entire mission? If the latter, what does a service like that cost?

Thanks

On the comments section in Foreflight (for each airport) pilots recommend a handler. Are you suggesting an a la carte type of handler for each airport, or hire a planning service to take care of flight planning and handlers for the entire mission? If the latter, what does a service like that cost?

Thanks

Some countries have wildly complicated/byzantine customs requirements, with aircraft in particular. You're just not going to just fill out a card and wave your passport. There are also insurance requirements. There are professional handling companies that also handle routing, services as well as customs & immigration. If you are planning on multiple stops w/ multiple countries, probably the way to go is a "all-in" company.

They're not inexpensive. As @Crop Duster pointed out, a trip to South America isn't a $100 burger run, and I can't emphasize that enough. Wildly inaccurate or non-existent weather reporting (NO ADS-B or Sat WX), non-existent GA facilities, highly questionable 100LL availability (VERY expensive), limited ATC, local Gendarme or Military who doesn't like or is unfamiliar with GA, Customs/Immigration who are looking for "supplemental income", limited ability to divert, MX if you need it (even for an oil change)....you REALLY have to have all your poop in one sack for this kind of trip.

One guy I know used AirJourney. It was around $1300 plus $200 per stop. It's a comprehensive service.

Look, I don't want to dissuade you, but this isn't the kind of thing you read a a couple of comments on Foreflight or Facebook and decide to launch off on, or your trip over to Nassau went OK, so you're good to go. You can find yourself in (very) serious trouble on a trip like this, and you really need a long, detailed planning process. Find competent advice.

Last edited:
Some countries have wildly complicated/byzantine customs requirements, with aircraft in particular. You're just not going to just fill out a card and wave your passport. There are also insurance requirements. There are professional handling companies that also handle routing, services as well as customs & immigration. If you are planning on multiple stops w/ multiple countries, probably the way to go is a "all-in" company.

They're not inexpensive. As @Crop Duster pointed out, a trip to South America isn't a $100 burger run, and I can't emphasize that enough. Wildly inaccurate or non-existent weather reporting (NO ADS-B or Sat WX), non-existent GA facilities, highly questionable 100LL availability (VERY expensive), limited ATC, local Gendarme or Military who doesn't like or is unfamiliar with GA, Customs/Immigration who are looking for "supplemental income", limited ability to divert, MX if you need it (even for an oil change)....you REALLY have to have all your poop in one sack for this kind of trip.

One guy I know used AirJourney. It was around $1300 plus $200 per stop. It's a comprehensive service.

Look, I don't want to dissuade you, but this isn't the kind of thing you read a a couple of comments on Foreflight or Facebook and decide to launch off on, or your trip over to Nassau went OK, so you're good to go. You can find yourself in (very) serious trouble on a trip like this, and you really need a long, detailed planning process. Find competent advice.

I appreciate all that . Thanks. This is not happening for a month or so, and I am trying to make the trip as seamless as possible. I have been down to Aruba by way of Bahamas and Puerto Rico and fortunately the customs went quickly. However, I am concerned with Trinidad and Suriname as they are extremely poor countries and I don’t want to get stuck there.

I appreciate all that . Thanks. This is not happening for a month or so, and I am trying to make the trip as seamless as possible. I have been down to Aruba by way of Bahamas and Puerto Rico and fortunately the customs went quickly. However, I am concerned with Trinidad and Suriname as they are extremely poor countries and I don’t want to get stuck there.

The Caribbean is in no way reflective of of South America. Those are all tourist destinations and are relatively used to seeing GA. GA in the Bahamas is very common, the PR is a US Territory and Aruba is Dutch (well, technically KotN).

I don't feel like I'm getting through to you. Maybe @Crop Duster will have better luck.

The Caribbean is in no way reflective of of South America. Those are all tourist destinations and are relatively used to seeing GA. GA in the Bahamas is very common, the PR is a US Territory and Aruba is Dutch (well, technically KotN).

I don't feel like I'm getting through to you. Maybe @Crop Duster will have better luck.
Hey @IFRlol, I just PMed you with some info.

On the weather part here in Brazil for example we just recently have implemented a weather radar that we can see on the scope, we still need to check during summer, when we have TCUs and CBs everywhere.
Anyway, feel free to pm me if you need any help with Brazil, indeed our airspace is not really GA-friendly, we have so many notams you must know for example and they change constantly, so it is really a pain the ass to plan a flight around here.

Sorry to revive the thread. I have a similar trip planned from KMSN to SBJR. Curious about how to handle flight planning into SBJR as it seems there is no flight following around the 9000' I'll be mostly flying. Do I contact Center/FIR after takeoff and get passed between controllers like happens in the US as I move through their airspace? Or do I not talk to anyone and just call Center/FIR before I enter their airspace? Do I activate my FPL after takeoff by calling the local Center/FIR?

Sorry to revive the thread. I have a similar trip planned from KMSN to SBJR. Curious about how to handle flight planning into SBJR as it seems there is no flight following around the 9000' I'll be mostly flying. Do I contact Center/FIR after takeoff and get passed between controllers like happens in the US as I move through their airspace? Or do I not talk to anyone and just call Center/FIR before I enter their airspace? Do I activate my FPL after takeoff by calling the local Center/FIR?

There are too many questions to answer here. 1) Hire a handler. 2) Review the airway manual for the countries you intend to transition/ stop in.

There are places that won't file your flight plan without paying the fee, those same places won't give you your clearance until you've paid your fees. Some of these places require over flight permits, and you won't be permitted into their airspace without them. As @Richman said, the Bahamas is easy, and other Caribbean islands but trips like these are not for the novice.

Back