Long live the Viper...

It's a very well-written post, mh, and I promise I read the whole thing, but it seems to boil down to "You ask some good questions, but stop asking them". Where should they be asked, if not here? The thing about modernity is that all things are measurable. Even up to and including the value of the lives of those who are Defending Democracy (ask me privately how I know about that, if you're so inclined). The simple fact of the matter is that all of this Awesome Kit (if it even is Awesome) costs a whole hell of a lot of money. That's not a crazy thing to talk about for a nation that is in debt up to its eyeballs. IMHO, etc etc.

And I don't mean to start a pursefight, here. Your tone was no more comabtive than mine, probably less. But may I suggest with open hands that those who USE the weaponry may have a stake in how it's funded, every bit as much as some scumbag, unrealistic hippie might have a stake in hating the weaponry? We ALL pay for it. We ALL should talk about it. Discussing our Nation's Defense Procurement System is not, itself, Treason. Well, unless you ask Donald Rumsfeld. ;)

What percentage of our government spending should be for defense? How did you arrive at that number?

Ultimately this is a question for politicians, not warriors, which is why the US has a mandated civilian-controlled chain of command.

Warriors are given a political goal to attain, which they then can interpret into differing military objectives to achieve that political end. Based on those objectives, they are able to guess 'how much'...and then it is Congress' job to approve or disapprove that number.

With the Executive and Legislative branches of our elected representative government both directing the goal and controlling the purse-strings, then that is the location where your question should be asked.

It is surely not to be asked of the men who salute and execute the orders they're given by those representatives.

Ultimately this is a question for politicians, not warriors, which is why the US has a mandated civilian-controlled chain of command.

Sometimes I wonder if there is still a distinction between politicians and warriors in the military? It seems like commanders are just as worried about making the next star / command (or keeping their command) as politicians are in getting re-elected.... all about the image and perception.

If I catch your drift Boris, I'm thinking you are arguing more the question of whether or not we should even be pursuing the kinds of conflicts that would necessitate aircraft and weapons like this. It's a valid question, and certainly one that is being asked by a lot of folks. My point is that if we DO end up heading downrange towards some of the more equipped threat nations out there, our current inventory has some serious issues, at least if we intend to do much beyond throwing sheer numbers at the problem and hoping for the best.

Back on topic...the Viper is the greatest aircraft of all time. I love it now, but would give my lefty to have flown it in the glory days of heaters and dumb bombs only (after they worked out all the FLCS/lawn dart issues of course).

Long live the Viper!

I will stalk you the rest of your days here LOL!

Back