Long live the Viper...

I think I need to check outta this thread.

I love what I do now, it's a great job and rewarding. But their is a part of me that would love to go back in time and make some majorly different choices earlier in life. But hey, living in the past just brings misery so making the most of the present is what I can do! I'm glad some of you on the board have been able to enjoy some amazing aircraft and also have been able to protect our country at the same time. The closest I've been to flying a military jet was in a L-29 which was a blast. Need to save for some Pitts time....

I don't know if I'm typical in this regard, but I've come to really appreciate boredom

I certainly understand that, and to be fair, I strongly agree with that sentiment. Fortunately, I don't need a particular job to fuel my sense of self worth, my individual identity, etc. At some point -- and probably sooner than later -- the mundane and safe will be a great way to make a living, and I look forward to hopefully doing that in the front office of an airliner.

I think the difference for me -- and the hang-up for most military pilots who have flown tactical aircraft -- is that I've had a good number of hair-raising, adrenaline-charged flying experiences, and I know what a rush I got from that and the immense job satisfaction it gave me. Although I absolutely love all things aviation, and certainly wish to continue flying in the 121 world after I leave the AF, the memory of those experiences will always be in the back of my mind. It is tough to know I will never do that, see that, or feel that again; it aches just a little bit, like a long-lost love or something.

I have interest in lots of facets of aviation, and while I know I probably won't get those same kinds of 'kicks' flying for a 121 operation, there are plenty of other avenues to keep flying fun, different, and exciting....to try and grasp at some of that excitement again. I absolutely do plan on pursuing those avenues as well.

I certainly understand that, and to be fair, I strongly agree with that sentiment. Fortunately, I don't need a particular job to fuel my sense of self worth, my individual identity, etc. At some point -- and probably sooner than later -- the mundane and safe will be a great way to make a living, and I look forward to hopefully doing that in the front office of an airliner.

I think the difference for me -- and the hang-up for most military pilots who have flown tactical aircraft -- is that I've had a good number of hair-raising, adrenaline-charged flying experiences, and I know what a rush I got from that and the immense job satisfaction it gave me. Although I absolutely love all things aviation, and certainly wish to continue flying in the 121 world after I leave the AF, the memory of those experiences will always be in the back of my mind. It is tough to know I will never do that, see that, or feel that again; it aches just a little bit, like a long-lost love or something.

I have interest in lots of facets of aviation, and while I know I probably won't get those same kinds of 'kicks' flying for a 121 operation, there are plenty of other avenues to keep flying fun, different, and exciting....to try and grasp at some of that excitement again. I absolutely do plan on pursuing those avenues as well.

I know exactly what you're talking about, and I'll admit, in other facets of my life I'm right there with you. But with an airplane, when the adrenaline gets pumping, it likely means something has gone drastically wrong. Now with your job, maybe that means things are going as expected (getting shot at, as not fun as I'm sure it is, it's certainly something ya'll prepare for). In a 121 cockpit, it means things have gone pear shaped with a bunch of people in tow.

So with that being said, I get my adrenaline fix outside of the cockpit where I feel I have a larger measure of control over what's going on. Mountain biking, skiing and rock climbing are the things that I do. And personally, I feel like I have a much larger amount of control over how good or bad things will go while I'm rocketing down a mountain on a pair of skis or pumping out while rock climbing.

I think flying jets that make fire out the front and back is an addiction. I'd put up with a lot of suckiness to keep doing it as long as possible. Im starting to realize how fleeting it all is now however. Every wx/mx cancel I have, I always think "well there's another flight I'll never get back". I also realize its a young mans game, and when you see things like Lex dying in his kfir, you realize that the smart man gives this pursuit up before the the statistics of time are against him, and the bucket of luck has run dry. Just some observations

Im starting to realize how fleeting it all is now however. Every wx/mx cancel I have, I always think "well there's another flight I'll never get back".

How frustrating is that?. I flew during the Carter years when money was tight. Our ops grease board would consistantly bleed red with maintenance cnx's. I would spend the whole previous day flight planning a 4-ship to the tanker followed by some tactical event only to be cancelled. Happened over and over.

That being said, I do dream of getting involved in the jet warbird world. I don't know how, or where, but I'd like to get my hands dirty.

Well, that particular genre of flying needs guys like you, Bunk, and Hacker to keep to torch going. None of my classmates, or instructors for that matter, really have any idea or care about general aviation... warbirds in particular... few know or care about tradition and history. They will pay it lip service from time to time in a speech, but in the end few actually care. It's surprising, frustrating, and somewhat depressing to see this as the future of military aviators. Our group HQ can't even correctly label the aircraft in their "Air Force History pictures" that line the wall.

The warbird group is a small, but a great group. It will definitely need competent, younger guys with experience in pointy nose jets to keep it alive. The jet warbird world... and warbird / air show world in general is not very forgiving at all. Each year the group shrinks and aircraft are lost... it is very humbling.

Interesting, though -- not that many military pilots are really interested in aviation. They like flying, and they certainly love their jobs, but most of them (us) find civilian aviation pretty boring.

I must have been the odd ball after I left the miltary....

15dar90.jpg

I think at heart all pilots are adrenaline addicts. Some, like jtrain609 learn to redirect it to other activities. Others never do and are still flying too fast, too slow, too high, too low, too heavy, in weather they shouldn't, etc until recklessness or old age catches up with them.

I didn't know your taste was that bad.......

What do you like about it, it's large payload? Or it's amazing on-station time?

When I was a FAC, I could count on F-16s to give me little in station time or accuracy. But to be fair, that was back with dumb munitions mostly. Now, they have LGBs and GPS guided munitions to take care of that issue. At least they can claim they carry more than a Harrier.

"We came, we saw, we bingo'd out". :)

I like the fact that the thread gained momentum, that was my intention. :) Never flew the Viper, always wanted to, and maybe that is why I am way biased that it is the true multi-role fighter ever built. I don't think it is bad taste, do you think F-16 was a bad decision to procure from get go? And I am sure you have a worthy comparison in mind to Viper other than AV-8B. I am not too keen into what it has become with the Block 60 series or the CFT hogs that was sold to allied air forces recently but this aircraft is the brainchild of John Boyd that really turned heads when it came into service and was produced as many as the Phantom in quantity. Station time? Don't they have a tanker nearby?

I like the fact that the thread gained momentum, that was my intention. :) Never flew the Viper, always wanted to, and maybe that is why I am way biased that it is the true multi-role fighter ever built. I don't think it is bad taste, do you think F-16 was a bad decision to procure from get go? And I am sure you have a worthy comparison in mind to Viper other than AV-8B. I am not too keen into what it has become with the Block 60 series or the CFT hogs that was sold to allied air forces recently but this aircraft is the brainchild of John Boyd that really turned heads when it came into service and was produced as many as the Phantom in quantity. Station time? Don't they have a tanker nearby?

I just like making fun of the F-16. But seriously, the original Blocks of A model F-16s were some air-air machines, as Hacker and I described earlier. The F-4 Phantom is truly the first multirole fighter. F-16, I would consider the second. F-4 did more and varied missions than the F-16 did, even though the F-16 is indeed a multirole fighter in its own right.

Problem is, the USAF didn't want it for the air-air role, as it didn't want it doing the role that the F-15A/C was already covering, so the AF always considered the F-16 an air-ground bird first, air-air bird second. They even wanted the A-16 version to replace the A-10. Which is too bad, as even though its shorter range in both legs as well as radar than the F-15, and at that time it didn't have an medium-range air-air missile capability until the advent of the F-16A/ADF with the AIM-7 (used for NORAD only), it still had a great short range air-air capability which the AF never took advantage of.

Didn't North Dakota fly those until recently? I do like the 1984 C/D upgrades with a better user interface, HUD symbology etc :)

Didn't North Dakota fly those until recently? I do like the 1984 C/D upgrades with a better user interface, HUD symbology etc :)

Fargo was the last with them, trading them in for UAVs and C-21s.

The F-16 just isn't the best CAS platform, short legs and high speed. I think it's far better at the interdiction role or BAI role, hitting fixed or mobile targets beyond the FLOT in a medium-deep strike role, short of what F-111/F-15Es would be doing.

But we have them on SEAD at Shaw, Spang and Misawa... Short of what F-4 was capable of doing I think...

422d_Fighter_Weapons_Squadron_-_F-16s_1988.jpg

Had this image on a high school notebook cover back in the early 90s... A-16 was something I really wanted to see, with LANTIRN ....

Back