logging Sim time (again)

av8tr1

"Never tell me the odds!"
A discrepancy has come up in my electronic log book. Its off by 10 hours negative. I haven't been keeping up with my paper book as I only need it for endorsements at this point so I can't compare it. The issue with the software is my total time is one amount. But then when you add up the total time in each columns SEL/MEL/SES/Rotor I get a number 10 hours higher than the total time column.

I reported it to the manufacturer. They suggested it was a problem with my aircraft characteristics somewhere and suggested it had something to do with my sim time not being applied to my total time (which doesn't make sense). While I don't think the sim time is the issue it did bring up the question.

My understanding is unless it is a level D sim you can not count sim time towards your total time but it can apply for hood time for an IFR rating.

A discrepancy has come up in my electronic log book. Its off by 10 hours negative. I haven't been keeping up with my paper book as I only need it for endorsements at this point so I can't compare it. The issue with the software is my total time is one amount. But then when you add up the total time in each columns SEL/MEL/SES/Rotor I get a number 10 hours higher than the total time column.

I reported it to the manufacturer. They suggested it was a problem with my aircraft characteristics somewhere and suggested it had something to do with my sim time not being applied to my total time (which doesn't make sense). While I don't think the sim time is the issue it did bring up the question.

My understanding is unless it is a level D sim you can not count sim time towards your total time but it can apply for hood time for an IFR rating.
It would help if we knew what software you are doing this with.

I had a similar problem when there was an errant check mark on my Frasca time like the developer suggested.

Safelog. But I am low on hours not high. So if I had added my sim time as total time then that would give me even less hours. But still not the amount in question.

Sim time does not count towards total time, even in a level D sim.

Sim time does count towards the requirements of some ratings.

Sim time does not count towards total time, even in a level D sim.

Sim time does count towards the requirements of some ratings.

Yep, that is my understanding as well. I can't figure out where this discrepancy is in the elogbook. I am really leaning towards it being a programmatic error. I spent a good part of the day going through my logbook and can't find anything wrong with my entries.

Derailing my own thread here, I looked at my ratings and hours individually the only thing that comes close is amphibian time counting towards both SEL and SES. The amount of disparity is the same as my total amphibian time. I am wondering if that is where the error might be and Safelog is calculating those fields twice? It doesn't look that way because the total time remains the same for that entry so it may just be a coincidence. :confused2:

The answer is a bookkeeping one. If by "total time" you mean "total flight time," no a Level D sim is not total time. Flight time requires an "aircraft" and no simulator meets the FAR definition of that. But yes, it can be applied toward certain requirements and counts towards "total pilot time"/ "total time as a pilot" for some certificates and ratings.

It's hard to fine those discrepancies. Took me three years to find one of mine and locating it was an accident.

Back