Let me address something....

While I'm sure I probably didn't help matters, I did attempt to let sleeping dogs lie and extend my hand. After getting that slapped away, the offender in question made his "line in the sand" known.

No biggie. He obviously doesn't need my assistance in anything. And that's fine.

[ QUOTE ]
So apparently, spelling the cussing so that the censors don't pick it up doesn't count?

[/ QUOTE ]
well, no... it does count.. but I think words like sh*t, phuck are acceptable if they're not completely spelled out or spelled differently because they're now part of everyone's "common language"

but words like pr*ck or b*tch or "f*uck u"go over the top - IMHO - and will not be tolerated because they're words that are directed at someone. that's my point.
crazy.gif

All we want is for everyone to use a little more professionalism and tact when posting... not just at the beginning of the topic but through to the end of the topic.

I dunno what to do about the english slang/abbreviation thing cuz everyone types differently - including me. I use cuz (abbrev) because it's faster for me to type it when i have a thought in my head and i want to get it out quickly... i think most people (like myself) who abbreviate do abbreviate for the same reason as trying to put words on paper as quickly as they can before they lose the thought....

so i hate to tell everyone that they must use proper english/spelling when typing because then it's segregating the good spellers from the bad and we don't want to have those type of rules here - or do we?? we could put in the "rules and conditions" that it's more appropriate to use proper english when asking or responding to a post so that everyone can understand the users verbage.

but again - therein lies the problem in that forum context can be construed due to the reader's interpretation of the text... so where do we go from here on that level?? I'm open to suggestions cuz i'd hate to see another topic go this route.

don't get me wrong - Tanveer should be rebanned (i doubt he'd even come back) based on this "yo bitch i ain't no wannabe bad ass u lil ho's started this • now go • ur self "... which was directed at the users posting in the topic...only thing is that he can come back and read the posts as well as create a new username because we have not banned the IP and i'd rather have doug take care of that than me - especially if it's from a public location...it'll be a few days before he can address this - so it may not do any good anyways...

Aviationfreak has already had his warning since he to directed a comment back...and looking above, he's already choosen not to fly off the handle like that again.

MDPilot needed to keep his thoughts - inside... even though he wasn't cursing, he was still "directing" a comment and it's not nice (or professional) to label...

but I can't condone banning based on spelling or swearing because then we'd also have to ban R2F, ESF, MikeD, MDPilot & aviationfreak for continuing with the mockery and for getting just as low as Tanveer did...and i'm not going to go there...he was pushing your buttons at the end, boys - have to learn not to let people do that!

SGE did the right thing with banning him on sight based on how the topic was going down but in the future, i think we should leave the "icky" posts up there so that all of the moderators can see what's going down and i think a stern(!) warning should be sent before banning... SGE - I don't think you gave him a stern enough or to the point warning which is probably why it continued.

the only reason i unbanned him was to show you guys that 1) he wasn't the root of the problem but was in the end a contributer and 2) "contributing to the cause" is good and just when the topic continues down the path of normalcy... when it degrades like that - it's just wrong to let it push you to the limits and to keep it actively cruising downhill....and i know that I/we do not want to start banning all of our users because they don't use the same professionalism at the start & though to the end of the topic. and finally 3) he could come back as another user and i'd rather he came back as himself so we can "watch" from above...

let that be a lesson learned from momma JC (and she HATES to lecture)... We'll see what daddy JC has to say later (if anything)
grin.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif

best thing to do when topics go sour like that is just stop posting to it or have a moderator close it...and maybe, just maybe, everyone will forget about it so that us moderators don't have to intervene
laugh.gif

Wow, after reading that thread I think some threads are just better off closed. There's always going to be a few bad apples here or there. Now can't we all just get along!
laugh.gif

How many members just jetcareers have anyway? There are a lot more members and threads now then there used to be or so it seems.

Live from the Terminal A Delta pilot crew lounge in wonderful Atlanta Georgia, it's me! Woo hoo!

Ok, all that stuff aside, in the future if there's a beef with a user, talk to a moderator, that's why we're here.

We're not like Charlie and the Chocolate Factories "Oompa Loompas" cleaning up your messes and dancing around singing denegrating songs, but a point of contact in the forum.

No, we're not babysitters or big blue meanies with all of the answers but these are the people that have a fairly long history with the website that volunteered to keep an eyeball on it when I'm out working to keep the lights on in my home.

Use them.

Massive flaming of a user is incompatible with the website.

If someone's being a dork, work it out in private messaging because otherwise, it becomes a food fight. One person lobs a grape at another, five more say "Hey, that looks fun!" and then a melee ensures.

Then I get PO'd and start cracking skulls... And once Doug gets a little angry and starts cracking skulls, then no one's happy and people start writing me about erasing them from the database along with all posts blabbity blah blah blah and then I refer them to the "Terms and Conditions" where I say, upfront, that I don't do that and short of a judicial court order, will not.

Got a beef with someone? Work it out privately and professionally.

If it doesn't work and things escalate, talk to a moderator.

If there's a beef with a moderator, talk to me but considering I'm working a back to back trip now and coming down with a cold (I think), results may vary.

Now, can I fly to Dallas now before I get in trouble for not showing up at the aircraft 30 minutes before pushback?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Got a beef with someone? Work it out privately and professionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words/phrases handle your beef like a man..... like we used to say as kids "stay out of someone else's beef when you ain't got no teeth" in other words let the two men in the middle work it out and mind your own
grin.gif

Now that I think about it, some men have different standards and settle beef with violent/degrading slurs, etc. so let's just give each other respect
grin.gif

I must admit I suffer from sterotypical sailoritis sometimes and it is something i am working on improving. Hopefully i didn't help spoil the pot.

[ QUOTE ]

In other words/phrases handle your beef like a man.....

[/ QUOTE ]

That or "Don't start none, won't be none!"

[ QUOTE ]
EatSleepFly and Ready2Fly must be AWFULLY bored lately. Grammar/spelling flames? What is this, Usenet, circa 1992? ESF, I'm sure you have some Bonanza systems stuff you could be studying instead of getting into a pissing contest with the kidz. And R2F, you disappoint me, brotha.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, let the kid get under my skin. Shouldn't have, but did.
crazy.gif

Stranger things have happened and I'll move on.

Sorry if I offended.

R2F

Let me just jump in here since it seems like I've been around the block a few more times than pretty much anyone here.

Folks, if the world of aviation is like any other one in the work world, there will come a day when you have to work with someone who you simply cannot stand. I'm not talking about someone who you think is annoying. I'm not talking about someone who you want to avoid.

I'm talking about someone who you want to strangle from the very instant you see them until the second they leave work.

A professional grits his teeth, bites his tongue, and deals with it. Someone who is not does not.

And you better believe the way you handle that is noticed.

Now, if you can't handle someone who annoys you on an internet bulletin board, what are you going to do when you are dealing with someone face to face?

Just some food for thought.

"A professional grits his teeth, bites his tongue, and deals with it"

You left out calling in sick for the trip....been there, done that....
Can't do it a lot but it works in the extreme case.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me just jump in here since it seems like I've been around the block a few more times than pretty much anyone here.

[/ QUOTE ]That was a joke, right?

So are you saying that every post need be grammatically correct or you will be labeled unprofessional? I think posts on a board such as this are just that. Posts. They are not legal documents nor should they have to be proof-read just to satisfy the needs of people who feel the need to point out others mistakes. We come on here to enjoy ourselves and to find answers to our questions pertaining to aviation. I am not entirely sure, but I'll bet there are websites dedicated to the proper use of the English language. Thanks goodnes dis 'ere aint 1 of 'em!

That's just my opinion.
Have a nice day!

Don

[ QUOTE ]
So are you saying that every post need be grammatically correct or you will be labeled unprofessional? I think posts on a board such as this are just that. Posts. They are not legal documents nor should they have to be proof-read just to satisfy the needs of people who feel the need to point out others mistakes. We come on here to enjoy ourselves and to find answers to our questions pertaining to aviation. I am not entirely sure, but I'll bet there are websites dedicated to the proper use of the English language. Thanks goodnes dis 'ere aint 1 of 'em!

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug has mentioned the case of "You rock!"

This can be perceived as an insult (calling someone a rock) or as a compliment (Hey, dude, you rock!).

However, if you are not clear because of grammar or spelling or because you took a shortcut, your message may not be received properly.

To be honest, I couldn't understand half of what was being said in the original posts in question. Seriously. And obviously, so did some othe posters who asked, kindly at first, for the poster to clarify his question as to avoid the use of slang.

If you post in such a way that your post makes no sense, I'll ask you for clarification. But, if you don't give me a response, then don't be surprised when you don't get an answer.

That's my $0.02 worth.

Thanks a billion, Mike!

Although I'd like credit for the "You Rock" analogy, that was actually Eag'.

I don't even proofread when I write and get loads of email chiding me to hire an editor! An EDITOR? Sheesh, most pilots can barely read anyway, what's the use?
smile.gif

Back