Leaving a major to another?

pizzawings

Was trying to get hired at ua last summer, but another airline called first and so I went. Out of the choices, the main reason I wanted ua was due to the retirements, widebodys available/future orders, and they hired less than some of the competitors did the past 5 years.Now I finally heard from ua, and trying to decide if it would still be worth it. I looked at the retiring numbers and future seniority, and unless I'm counting wrong I would estimate the seniority progression would be very similar depending on when I would start.

The difference being the larger widebody order ua has and the talks of growing the seniority list to 20k pilots. I would looking at a 30+ year career.My cons would be leaving a already great company to be at the bottom again and year of probation. There's also no guarantee the widebodys order would stay or what the future holds in terms of fleets. Really just looking to hear another perspective or if any ua pilot here can give their opinion. Thanks!

I'm new, but I doubt this is a question that anyone can answer for you. I imagine you have also seen enough 121 twists of fate (whether in your career, or just over the span of your life) to know that a future plan or jet buy doesn't really mean much. The things that scared the crap out of me about a couple of the "big 3" were the amount of NH's they already had (beyond a historical equilibrium of pilots). Not only for the reason of potentially stalling out at the bottom for a while, but also for the concern of what happens when the music stops. I also told myself that I'd consider moving somewhere else within 12 months if I didn't like it where I am. Beyond that would be a bigger life decision. By no means should you take any of what I say as intelligent advice, more just some rambling thoughts from a blind guy trying to feel his way through this new world.

It's kind of a crap shoot either way. "The airline to be" changes about every 18 months so if you're happy I wouldn't worry about.

Future projections like "we want to grow to 20,000 pilots" is wishful thinking for any airline with less than 15000 because the supply of available pilots is slim. Future orders are also a crap shoot.

Every airline looking for pilots has someone they've borrowed from marketing and corp com looking at what spikes an increase in the applicant pool.

I wouldn’t worry about starting over, especially because you’re not giving up a lot of seniority. However, I also wouldn’t chase retirement numbers or airplane orders. The only question I’d ask is which airline is going to be better for your career aspirations and QoL. If you want to do widebody flying, there isn’t a much better option then United. Which airlines have the best bases for you?

Yeah it seems like bases/not commuting near term, and maybe some of the more important long term goals (if WB is for you) should be top of list I'd think.

What’s going to get you more time off at home or at the very least an easyish commute if you have to?

What’s going to get you more time off at home or at the very least an easyish commute if you have to?

Yeah I don't even really commute, but those senior lines that are SEA SEA SEA * * * * * SEA SEA SEA * * * * * SEA SEA * * * * * * * * * SEA SEA * * don't even beckon because that would actually be terrible given my 2 hr drive there, and the RPT times of most. I can't imagine being someone looking at (from the same starting location) 0400 RAP JFK JFK JFK JFK JFK JFK * * * * * JFK JFK....etc. I'd quit.

How to maximize QOL:

1. Live in base of desired airline (full stop)
2. Everything else (type of aircraft, seniority progression, aircraft orders, etc)

*when it comes to money, QOL , retirement, it’s all a really a wash among the big 4 IF you live in base*

It's kind of a crap shoot either way. "The airline to be" changes about every 18 months so if you're happy I wouldn't worry about.

Future projections like "we want to grow to 20,000 pilots" is wishful thinking for any airline with less than 15000 because the supply of available pilots is slim. Future orders are also a crap shoot.

Every airline looking for pilots has someone they've borrowed from marketing and corp com looking at what spikes an increase in the applicant pool.

I’m so confused right now

I’m so confused right now

Ha! :)

I mean when you're comparing two very similar carriers, it's a total crapshoot.

If it's a matter of moving somewhere with a solely domestic presence to a dissimilar carrier that does a robust number of theaters, it's a much clearer picture.

Ex:
F9 -> NK (crapshoot)
AA -> UA (crapshoot)
F9 -> UA/AA (yes)
UA/AA -> F9/NK (no)

At least in my humble opinion, which the usual suspects will tell me I'm wrong for not consulting them first. :)

Much easier looking at it at 1 year vs. 6 years. ugh

Truth.

I have a friend making that decision after almost 10 at a large LCC. But in that set of circumstances he's in, it makes total sense with his career ambitions.

I will also add, not completely related, but the absolute collapse on the freight side should not be ignored. The music has stopped over here for about 9 months now.
Articles like this come out everyday

Hopefully the pax side doesn't feel it as hard. But beware, the consumer has stopped buying goods like they were. At some point they may stop buying tickets as well. Don't be caught in the last seat.

Good luck. You'll know if you made the right choice when the fire trucks line up.

Ha! :)

I mean when you're comparing two very similar carriers, it's a total crapshoot.

If it's a matter of moving somewhere with a solely domestic presence to a dissimilar carrier that does a robust number of theaters, it's a much clearer picture.

Ex:
F9 -> NK (crapshoot)
AA -> UA (crapshoot)
F9 -> UA/AA (yes)
UA/AA -> F9/NK (no)

At least in my humble opinion, which the usual suspects will tell me I'm wrong for not consulting them first. :)
If it results in you driving to work however, I wouldn't think it's a crapshoot. The only way that would be the case is like NK for example where they opened a bunch of new bases in the last couple years.

Which is the easiest commute to a fortress hub? Pick that one.
I actually moved to be in base at my current airline. If I were to leave I would have to commute until I eventually move again. It would be a more junior base but still commuting. Maybe this doesn't make much sense? I'm conflicted if I would gain any seniority with the move, my current shop I would still have wide body/international opportunities, just not as big and robust as ua. But again that could all change in the future.

Back