Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
1656713599986.png

1656713870072.png

CR3.svg
Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
Date:Friday 1 July 2022
Time:14:36
Type:
Silhouette image of generic LJ35 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Learjet 35A
Operator:Flying America SA
MSN:35-143
First flight:1978
Crew:Fatalities: / Occupants:
Passengers:Fatalities: / Occupants:
Total:Fatalities: 4 / Occupants: 4
Aircraft damage:Damaged beyond repair
LV.gif
Argentina)
Phase:Takeoff (TOF)
Nature:Ambulance
Departure airport:Río Grande Airport, TF (RGA/SAWE), Argentina
Destination airport:Comodoro Rivadavia Airport, CB (CRD/SAVC), Argentina
Narrative:
The Learjet 35A, LV-BPA, crashed on takeoff from Río Grande Airport, Argentina. Both pilot and two medical personnel were killed.

The aircraft had departed San Fernando Airport, BA (FDO) in the morning on a medical transportation flight to Comodoro Rivadavia Airport, CB (CRD) and Río Grande Airport, TF (RGA). The accident occurred when the aircraft was returning to base.

Sources:
» www.actualidadtdf.com.ar
» www.rionegro.com.ar

METAR Weather report:
17:15 UTC / 14:15 local time:
SAWE 011715Z 28005KT 500 FU NSC 01/M01 Q0998
18:00 UTC / 15:00 local time:
SAWE 011800Z 30004KT CAVOK 02/M01 Q0998

Teterborro and Gillespie were both 35s. Are these things tricky to fly? Just unforgiving?

Each of these seem to have different circumstances leading up to the accident.

Teterborro and Gillespie were both 35s. Are these things tricky to fly? Just unforgiving?

Each of these seem to have different circumstances leading up to the accident.
Maybe? They've been flying for almost 50 years and don't have a great safety record, with a few exceptions most of those accidents have been attributed to pilot error. I've worked with people (young and old) that can sit in the seat and it's like wearing a glove, others not so much. Flying with Clay in any Lear was like watching an artist. To be fair there have been a lot of STC's to the wing to make it more forgiving, but there have also been other additions like extended tip-tanks and the rear locker that add more weight and might make it a bit more tricky? I know although I respect them I hate working on them. And in any accident the MX will be scrutinized. Best to wait for the final report.

The 35 cockpit is a steampunk human factors disaster and anything that needs that many aerodynamic bandaids is absurd. Respect to the dudes like @mikecweb that flew it and flew it well but there’s a reason new bizjets don’t look like a Lear 35.
This. 110%. Also, why I’m not sure if I get more annoyed at Textron for not spending the money to keep the CJs updated or at idiots who crash them. It’s insane how well engineered the airframe is, especially the wing.

The 35 cockpit is a steampunk human factors disaster and anything that needs that many aerodynamic bandaids is absurd. Respect to the dudes like @mikecweb that flew it and flew it well but there’s a reason new bizjets don’t look like a Lear 35.
Once you learned the quirks you could make it do anything with ease. My current airframe is similar, just likes to get weird within 100ft of the ground. The MD-10-30 is an extremely honest airplane once you learn it, reminds me alot of the 35. This is what keeps me in the game though. If I flew hawkers or 747s, both of which make horrible pilots look good, I'd probably go find something else to do for work. My biggest crossroad will come when the MD11 is retired, I have no idea if there will be anything left i want to fly.

Once you learned the quirks you could make it do anything with ease. My current airframe is similar, just likes to get weird within 100ft of the ground. The MD-10-30 is an extremely honest airplane once you learn it, reminds me alot of the 35. This is what keeps me in the game though. If I flew hawkers or 747s, both of which make horrible pilots look good, I'd probably go find something else to do for work. My biggest crossroad will come when the MD11 is retired, I have no idea if there will be anything left i want to fly.
I don’t think “Hawker” and “look good” belong in the same sentence

Mike you’re on the MD at purple correct?

My 3 legs in a AirNet 35 jumpseat set a bar for skill and professionalism I remember to this day. Outstanding operation.

I've flown the 35, 31, 40, and 45.

As pilot friendly as the 45 is, the 35 is it's polar opposite. It is not a beginner jet. Tiny wing, lots of mass out there if there's gas in the tip tanks. Unforgiving airplane.

Back