Layover food

Myeong-Dong / Seoul Tower is the general area.

All of my suggestions are south of the river down in Gangnam or out in Song-do but the Myeongdong area is absolutely teeming with food options. Central Seoul, where you are, you're going to have a more (dare I say) authentic experience than in the more cosmopolitan areas of town.

But if you do find yourself North of Seoul Station, Hanam Pig is a lot of fun. I didn't got on a layover but when we non-revved there years ago.

My layover food lately:

frozen burrito (skin the consistency of mochi, contents half frozen half lava)
frozen lasagna (noodles the consistency of mochi, contents tasting like canned Little Caesars, except worse)
Frozen fettuccine alfredo (no real complaints, beats prison food)

eat up yummers

(Though I did manage to go to Gyu-Kaku on a 10 hr BUR overnight night before last! And I have had a few times recently where there was food open to grubhub that wasn't fast food!)

Recently there was some excitement among the FAs that the applebees near the hotel was open, but it turns out it was closed.

What’s the oyster situation in Seoul? Above? Below average? I am trying to choose whether I want to deploy to northern Japan or the ROK. Keep in mind, the Onsen is not lost on me, so that is a selling point for Japan

What’s the oyster situation in Seoul? Above? Below average? I am trying to choose whether I want to deploy to northern Japan or the ROK. Keep in mind, the Onsen is not lost on me, so that is a selling point for Japan

How far north in Japan? Hokkaido is pretty nice.

Very minimal time in Seoul this trip but a few of the Korean bbq places had oysters. Unlike the markets of Tokyo and even Sapporo…oysters for days!!

There’s types of oyster for everyone’s preference. Itty bitty perky ones, all the way to extremely large supple ones where you’re scratching your head at how large they are. 😋

IMG_0087.jpeg

Trader Vic’s in ATL is worth a visit ;)

Northern tip of the big island, just south of Hakodate

Misawa is... ok. Probably lots more stuff to do closer in to pretty much any ROK base, but if you aren't going to be there for a long time, you'd most likely find plenty to do up in northern Japan. Also, it's only 4 stops on the local line to get to Hachinohe Station and the Tohuku Shinkansen so going elsewhere is pretty easy, although not as cheap as it used to be.

Misawa is... ok. Probably lots more stuff to do closer in to pretty much any ROK base, but if you aren't going to be there for a long time, you'd most likely find plenty to do up in northern Japan. Also, it's only 4 stops on the local line to get to Hachinohe Station and the Tohuku Shinkansen so going elsewhere is pretty easy, although not as cheap as it used to be.

Danka shoen

I think it sounds like ROK is more my jam. Because I like all kinds of oysters in my jam

For the record I love little oysters and long dong oysters all the same. But i might preference small ones on the raw

Back