Layover food

I hate that layover so much. Most everything caters to the “touching base” crowd, so it’s a ghost town on the weekends.
Deep ellum, go to Monkey King for cucumber salad and noodles. Walk during daylight hours or short Uber. You’re welcome.

PS-this applies at the downtown Dallas hotel near the bus station, I think it’s a Sheraton.

I was on an IND layover during my birthday, I offered to buy the FO a steak dinner, but he said his wife makes his layover food. The next day he asked what I spent, I told him and he about passed-out.

I'm sure he was a nice guy, and I respect the effort (or I guess his wife's effort) that goes into bringing meals on the road. But damn dude. The CA is literally offering. I know she wasn't packing him 45 day dry-aged grass-fed, corn-finished Argentinian rib roast.

100% agree. And as a sign of these insane times, if a FO at a major/legacy/whatever can't buy a steak for their bday, alone, after slam clicking the whole crew and then making a bee line back to civilization, they are also doing things wrong.

I'm sure he was a nice guy, and I respect the effort (or I guess his wife's effort) that goes into bringing meals on the road. But damn dude. The CA is literally offering. I know she wasn't packing him 45 day dry-aged grass-fed, corn-finished Argentinian rib roast.

100% agree. And as a sign of these insane times, if a FO at a major/legacy/whatever can't buy a steak for their bday, alone, after slam clicking the whole crew and then making a bee line back to civilization, they are also doing things wrong.

Exactly. Live life as you're... living life.

I think X-Forces death should be a reminder about not waiting to experience the world, do it now. Take that effing steak dinner when offered.

Fully unrelated, and also not layover food, but the wife and I snuck away for lunch alone after leaving our idiots with the grandparents. It was one of those moments when we had so much unusual freedom that we didn't really know what to do with ourselves, or even where to go. It's been a hot minute since we spent much time in our hometown, and a lot has changed, even since covid (a lot of restaurants went under). We ended up randomly seeing this new restaurant, in the same space as a restaurant we frequented maybe 20 years ago that long since closed. New place was a Chinese dumpling and noodle joint. It's been maybe 2-3 other cuisines since the old days when it was a Thai place. Anyway, I should have known, since there are now so many UofO students from China and the greater East Asian region, that this place would be tight. Had the dan dan noodles, and a side of egg, tomato and green onion soup. Chefs kiss. It's the best place I've eaten at here in a long time, and my lame mainstream order of dan dan noodles (which were amazing) only left me wondering about the other menu items that looked awesome too. Will have to go back. And I laughed out loud when they brought the bill. I think it was $28 for the two of us. Only in Oregon, where even today, after a night of buying pitchers of beer and apps, they bring the bill and it is $11.

Not exactly exotic but a really well executed Eggs Benedict and hash browns from Hen House in downtown MSP. It's actually above freezing this time so i dared to venture out a little bit.
20240331_102740.jpg

I was on an IND layover during my birthday, I offered to buy the FO a steak dinner, but he said his wife makes his layover food. The next day he asked what I spent, I told him and he about passed-out.

I don't know, D.I.N.K., 25+ years seniority, if I can't afford to walk into a restaurant on my birthday and order food without even considering the prices, I've really effed something up.
Man, when I get back from work my wife is like “you got the kids and dinner, imma go lock myself in the bathroom with the 6 foot tub and my kindle” she’s too nice to outright laugh at me if I asked her to meal prep for my 5 day reserve blocks but the chances of her actually doing it are less than zero!

Nandos is straight up crack cocaine!
There’s a place in downtown ATL called Peri Peri which I was going to try tonight on my overnight.
Looks like a Nandos knock off but still good enough for me. Unfortunately they moved our hotel for the night to Buckhead.

Any of you fine folks have a rec for food in the Buckhead area?

For great Italian food, you have Ecco and St. Cecilia up by Lennox mall, and Storico Fresco a bit further south by Buckhead Theater. South City Kitchen is also by Lennox and an Atlanta institution for southern food. If you want to live it up Iberian Pig is around there too for some swanky but tasty tapas. Further south Bell Street Burritos is hugely popular but if you're coming from the west coast you'll probably be a bit disappointed. And you can't go wrong with Fellini's Pizza. Not exactly authentic but very good and very cheap. I eat at one of their other locations pretty regularly, it's that good even by Italian standards. My parents even liked it when they came from Rome to visit. Ask for it well done for a better crust experience

Not exactly exotic but a really well executed Eggs Benedict and hash browns from Hen House in downtown MSP. It's actually above freezing this time so i dared to venture out a little bit.
View attachment 77197

This is exactly what I love to see. Places try to get too cute with their "Bennies", with weird a*# proteins, alternative breads, etc. Just put some f**ing ham on an English muffin, get the egg right, and that hollandaise better have a lemony tang and not be too thick. +10 for properly done hash browns. Though I think we have revisited that subject here recently.

There’s a place in downtown ATL called Peri Peri which I was going to try tonight on my overnight.
Looks like a Nandos knock off but still good enough for me. Unfortunately they moved our hotel for the night to Buckhead.

South City Kitchen or the Southern Gentleman

Back