Layover adventures

Roger Roger

Bottom of the list
We got a layover food thread going, how about a layover adventures thread? I will get it started. Some of you already know but one of my favorites is to visit natural history museums.
3D5CCE2C-D87E-4E43-A45D-A3208B04B659.jpeg

Burke Museum, Seattle. Most complete T. Rex skull found.

C335A383-FB61-474B-88DB-F51B47D78FE6.jpeg

Smithsonian natural history museum.

A4F6D4D8-0AA3-432C-A2BF-3B24767E3687.jpeg

Texas museum of natural history at UT Austin.

BA67F7BE-AA34-4461-AEB9-37C5579CC925.jpeg

California academy of science, Golden Gate Park SFO.

A couple I forgot in the original post:

31841C76-D567-40F1-A0E2-30B0B07AE280.jpeg

Folk music festival in Tucson

86697F18-955E-4BA2-8B49-B537250E3E4F.jpeg

Frisbee golf in Maui during oe, with a JNU
buddy who winters out there

Given how short our junior layovers tend to be, I’m pretty happy with how often I’ve been able to go do something.

Last edited:
Great thread idea!

Mt. Takao is about 1 hour from Shinjuku Station in Tokyo on the Keio Line. Kind of a pain the find the platforms in the station, but other than that it's a straight forward trip. There is a Limited Express that requires an extra fare (so you can't just tap on and off with a SUICA card) but it's a time saver to take that instead of the local train.

Once you get there you have the option of either walking all the way up (about 2 hours) or taking a chair lift or inclined railway halfway up and walking the rest of the way.

20231118_085750.jpg

20230421_105708.jpg

The path to the top if a typical Japan temple mountain walk, with well paved paths and stairs, lots of shrines and temples, and most of the year, lots, and lots of people. I try to get there when the chairlift and incline railway first open (8am or 9am depending on the time of year) to beat the crowds.
20230421_100229.jpg

20230421_094426.jpg

20230421_094703.jpg
20230421_095445.jpg

From the top you can get a great view of Fuji-san, and there are various trails that continue on along the ridgeline. There are a bunch of food stalls along the way along with a Monkey Park and some gift shops.

20230421_102033.jpg
20230421_102039.jpg

Due to a quirk in the train schedules, coming back in to Tokyo (if you are going to the eastern half of the city), it's faster to transfer to the Chuo Line after one station.

Our HND trips get in between 5pm and 10pm, and then go back out the next night. On most trips (unless there are other things I need to do in Tokyo) I'll wake up early, head out to Mt. Takao, and then be back in the city by 1pm to get a nap in before heading back to work.

Great thread idea!

Mt. Takao is about 1 hour from Shinjuku Station in Tokyo on the Keio Line. Kind of a pain the find the platforms in the station, but other than that it's a straight forward trip. There is a Limited Express that requires an extra fare (so you can't just tap on and off with a SUICA card) but it's a time saver to take that instead of the local train.

Once you get there you have the option of either walking all the way up (about 2 hours) or taking a chair lift or inclined railway halfway up and walking the rest of the way.

View attachment 77461
View attachment 77466

The path to the top if a typical Japan temple mountain walk, with well paved paths and stairs, lots of shrines and temples, and most of the year, lots, and lots of people. I try to get there when the chairlift and incline railway first open (8am or 9am depending on the time of year) to beat the crowds.
View attachment 77459
View attachment 77462
View attachment 77463View attachment 77464

From the top you can get a great view of Fuji-san, and there are various trails that continue on along the ridgeline. There are a bunch of food stalls along the way along with a Monkey Park and some gift shops.

View attachment 77465View attachment 77460

Due to a quirk in the train schedules, coming back in to Tokyo (if you are going to the eastern half of the city), it's faster to transfer to the Chuo Line after one station.

Our HND trips get in between 5pm and 10pm, and then go back out the next night. On most trips (unless there are other things I need to do in Tokyo) I'll wake up early, head out to Mt. Takao, and then be back in the city by 1pm to get a nap in before heading back to work.
I feel like “layover transit” could become yet another layover thread, haha

Great thread idea!

View attachment 77460

It is a great thread idea! 'Cept right now I'm waiting to reply, cause you're pics are too mega pixel and it's taking some time. And to think they don't even let us post vids up in here. @derg, why is that? Why can't we post vids? (personally produced vids, not links to externalities.)

I’ll be packing my snorkel and mankini for that one, in 6 years when I can hold it 😀
RIP third step, it’ll probably be a while before I get another KOA.
I just assume that OE was the last time I’ll see Hawaii for a long time
Are you holding a line in May? The Sr FOs on the Aly forum are bellyaching about the low ALV. In which case a HI or two might slip past those who haven’t figured out PBS. Although I imagine you’ll be bidding for JNU layovers.

RIP third step, it’ll probably be a while before I get another KOA.

Are you holding a line in May? The Sr FOs on the Aly forum are bellyaching about the low ALV. In which case a HI or two might slip past those who haven’t figured out PBS. Although I imagine you’ll be bidding for JNU layovers.
I have a line in SFO for may. I screwed up my PBS and got awarded 85 hours, but easily traded down to 73 and 18 days off. I’m not sad. This is the time of year when I want to be in jnu. The trips are what they are, nothing to write home about and they all start with a redeye but whatevs

Buddy of mine who is another jnu commuter has been here 5 years. I stalked his PBS award. 7 2 days that all overnight in jnu. I can’t even try to snag an out of base jnu overnight if one comes up, no southeast qual 🙁. The OE trip doesn’t count for that.

Last edited:
I have a line in SFO for may. I screwed up my PBS and got awarded 85 hours, but easily traded down to 73 and 18 days off. I’m not sad. This is the time of year when I want to be in jnu. The trips are what they are, nothing to write home about and they all start with a redeye but whatevs

Buddy of mine who is another jnu commuter has been here 5 years. I stalked his PBS award. 7 2 days that all overnight in jnu. I can’t even try to snag an out of base jnu overnight if one comes up, no southeast qual 🙁. The OE trip doesn’t count for that.
At least you have a line. Red eye starts should equal commutability, if not exactly fun. At least that’s what I tell myself when I have to do them 😆. Unfortunately they said in the ANC pilot call there probably won’t be any more position bids (or new hire classes) this year, but deliveries resume this month. Hopefully they will get the ball rolling again when deliveries pick up.

Got the chance to goto the Air and Space museum at Dulles last weekend on a layover. First time I've been there in about 10 years, not much has changed since then.
View attachment 77490View attachment 77491View attachment 77492View attachment 77493

That place is amazing, I just wish they had more planes you could actually get onboard. No reason they can’t put some glass up at the cockpit door and let people onboard a few of the planes. Plenty of other museums do that.

Back