LAS A&P

las_flyer

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get the 36 months experience for the A&P in the LAS area? Thanks in advance.

Those opportunities are few and far between anywhere you go. You're better off spending 12 months in A&P School. The FAA prefers this method too.

Those opportunities are few and far between anywhere you go. You're better off spending 12 months in A&P School. The FAA prefers this method too.

I tend to agree. What you may think as qualifying A&P experience might not be in the eyes of some FAA persons. Also to even get started in the A&P field most require some preexisting experience. Best to just go to an A&P school and get the classes and training that you know the FAA has signed off on. Thens there no question.

Thanks guys. I would like to go to a school but there isn't one here in LAS.
There actually is... i think.. go to North Las vegas airport, and check around.. i was up there shopping for a flight school, and i saw signs on one of the buildings that caught my eye, and made me think there was a school opening up.. haven't been up there in a couple months, probably going to boulder city to train.. if i'm up that way, i'll double check, and i'll ask a couple of A&Ps i know on the field at LAS if they know of anything.

You're better off spending 12 months in A&P School. The FAA prefers this method too.
:yeahthat:
A major plus of the schools is you get some in depth training is ALL areas not just what the FBO/Repair Station does AND they prepare you for the tests!

The Oral & Practical are very in depth in all areas (read above sentence) and any extra preperation you can get for those is a plus.

Find a school and go, I did mine in 2 years while flying/instructing/working. If you can find a school with Day/night classess, you're in for a great schedule. I mixed up night and day classes and it worked out great!

Good Luck, keep us posted!

Thanks for the reponses guys, I appreciate your input. I did a few months of school at Mt Sac in the early 90s, but decided I wanted to get my BS as soon as possible and as much flight time as I could. I fly for the same bankrupt carrier as DT. Most of the programs out there seem to be written/practical test preps. I'll keep checking around.

[interest piqued mode]

I find it interesting that you want to get an A&P. I'm guessing that you aren't looking for a career change, so maybe there's an interesting story here? Hobby work with the Confederate Air Force? Save money on your own GA plane(s)? Collector of FAA ratings?

[/snooping]

:)

I don't think that many people here realize how much an experienced A&P can make. The guy that works on our plane is paid as much as the Captains that fly it, and he doesn't have to spend 40 hrs a week to work on it. When he is not working on our plane, he is contracting himself out at $500 day. I personally think he works too much for his own good, as he probably works 6 days a week, but he makes serious money.

I know it is not possible for every A&P to do this. Our guy has years of experience working on biz jets and has a good reputation in a busy area, but I was still supprised by how much he makes.

I personally want to get my A&P, mostly so I could work on a personal airplane. I figure it would be a fun hobby and a good way to cut the cost of ownership, assuming I ever have enough to buy an older airplane. It is kind of hard to fit in the A&P school when you work as a pilot though, so I will probably have to wait until I retire.

[interest piqued mode]

I find it interesting that you want to get an A&P. I'm guessing that you aren't looking for a career change, so maybe there's an interesting story here? Hobby work with the Confederate Air Force? Save money on your own GA plane(s)? Collector of FAA ratings?

[/snooping]

:)

Ok snooper :), here's the deal. I've been wanting to do some flying for an organization or 2 that require pilots to have an A&P because of the remote places they operate (jungles, deserts, etc.) Not on a full time basis yet, because I love flying the 757/767 right now (and civilization).

Ok, spoke to a couple of the guys on the field at LAS, and sadly, there is no A&P school here... :(

Back