Landing and parking onboard the USS Truman aircraft carrier

Ummmmm hmmmmmm

121 guys land on water and wait for the NY Waterway Ferries to pick them up instead of ejecting like Navy guys do when they are going in the drink.

:)

Well in all fairness, he was a former USAF F-4 driver :)

Oh, and plus, I can barely be bothered to put on my uniform and keep within my employer's appearance standards for hair length...so I probably wouldn't do so well in Navy Air.

Or at Delta. Oh wait....same thing. :)

What's impressive to me is that there are young people on the deck who you wouldn't probably trust to valet park your car, and they're parking/towing/directing multi-million dollar planes inches from one another and doing it well daily.

LSO comments for Asiana 214:

CUT. HIG, TMRDIC, NEPAR PNU RS

(High in the groove, Too much rate of descent in close, Not enough power at the ramp, ramp Strike)

Some LSO's might have added T1W.

We had old timers day on one of my deployments and one of the squadron Hornet pilots came ripping into the break. Broke at the stern, 500knots...rolled nice into the groove and proceeded on down to the taxi 1 :) CAG was waving him and it was:

TMJWINTB _NEBAWAW_

Too Much John Wayne In the Break
Not Enough Basic Air Work All the Way

Or at Delta. Oh wait....same thing. :)
I'm largely joking.

I actually bother to iron my shirts about 90% of the time, and show up clean-shaven and looking somewhat like a professional. Which is good since everyone thinks I'm sixteen.

(I even have a hat. Right, @Gonzo ?)

Last edited:
Some folks might appreciate your recent 1/1a experiences.

Yeah if anyone is interested, I would be glad to share my thi
We had old timers day on one of my deployments and one of the squadron Hornet pilots came ripping into the break. Broke at the stern, 500knots...rolled nice into the groove and proceeded on down to the taxi 1 :) CAG was waving him and it was:

TMJWINTB _NEBAWAW_

Too Much John Wayne In the Break
Not Enough Basic Air Work All the Way

LOL did he fair himself on old timers day? That is like dropping a cleveland at the bunny ranch and walking away with blue balls :)

The only time I ever had my hand on the E-ride handle was on the deck.

Couple days ago, they parked me in the 6 pack, then had the hummer taxi right into my face, stopping him with props turning probably no more than 5 feet from my nose. My PC was just standing there (I had both engines shut down) looking at me like I was crazy still sitting there baking in the cockpit, but no way in hell was I going to safe my seat until that thing was chocked and shut down. If it had moved a foot towards me, I would have been out of there.

I don't have anything lurking that I know about, but as I understand it many Navy flight careers are scuttled before they start.

When I instructed, our primary customer was the naval academy. We would do their initial flight screening for students/grads before they headed down to Pensacola for training.

I had this one student that if I didn't find her to be so trustworthy, I would have believed to have already been a PPL. She'd be in a steep turn, pull out a sick sack, puke her guts out, roll out on heading and then say "so what you're saying is I need more back pressure to increase my vertical component of lift..." Kicked her air sickness problem in the butt. Absolutely kicked ass in everything she did.

Two days before heading down to Pensacola, the navy decided "we have too many people in training down there. Anyone with a waiver of any kind is going to go do something else. She wore contact lenses and became a seabee.

She went to the academy because she wanted to be a naval aviator and figured it would be the best way. She majored in what she majored because she figured it would be the best way for her to get a flight spot. She did absolutely everything right...and got hosed in the end.

LOVE IT! I seriously Miss this.... I loved the experience during carrier quals (F/A-18E/F/G.. VX-23!)...

I also remember being on the pax manifest sitting in the back of the C-2 during a launch/cat-shot after our squadron ridged the system for carrier quals. To this day the best take-off experience I ever had! Facing the tail during t/o... MAN WHAT A RIDE! Loved being a ground pounder.

Last edited:
No but my last dinner on the ship (last night) was turkey and gravy if that has any relevance to this discussion :)
What....No shlt on a shingle....? Or dont they serve that in the officers mess....? :)

What....No shlt on a shingle....? Or dont they serve that in the officers mess....? :)

Wardroom....get it right :)

But seriously, for $10/day (yes, to those who don't know, we pay out of pocket daily to go on the ship/deployment/etc), the food could have been much better. Have had better on other ships......I understand the plight of the CS, but taco bar with expired meat and "sausage grill" for 4 days in a row is pretty aggressive. At least once we got fresh eggs, rats included the option for eggs in another way other than shelled hard boiled in a vat of hot water that cooked the whites to a hard crust

But seriously, for $10/day (yes, to those who don't know, we pay out of pocket daily to go on the ship/deployment/etc), the food could have been much better. Have had better on other ships......I understand the plight of the CS, but taco bar with expired meat and "sausage grill" for 4 days in a row is pretty aggressive. At least once we got fresh eggs, rats included the option for eggs in another way other than shelled hard boiled in a vat of hot water that cooked the whites to a hard crust

Should've joined the AF? :)

For decades, Navy wardrooms benefited from the efforts of Filipino SD's (later MS and CS). It went from being an honorable pathway to citizenship to one of the least desired rates.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd imagine the old days of wardroom-ship were probably a lot more upscale. I find it hard to complain about the food I have, when I then walk through the mess decks and it smells like a horse's vagina......not looking to look a gift horse in the mouth. But I will say that my impression of the mess bill, in its original form, was to create a collective pot of money that allowed the officer's mess to buy special food and menu items that wouldn't normally be supplied to the rest of the ship. Nowadays, it is seemingly the same food, with slightly different presentation up in the wardrooms compared with downstairs in the mess decks. That and fancy silverware and real plates. So it does make one question at times what the money is going towards if you are paying for essentially what everyone else gets for free.

Yeah, I'd imagine the old days of wardroom-ship were probably a lot more upscale. I find it hard to complain about the food I have, when I then walk through the mess decks and it smells like a horse's vagina......not looking to look a gift horse in the mouth. But I will say that my impression of the mess bill, in its original form, was to create a collective pot of money that allowed the officer's mess to buy special food and menu items that wouldn't normally be supplied to the rest of the ship. Nowadays, it is seemingly the same food, with slightly different presentation up in the wardrooms compared with downstairs in the mess decks. That and fancy silverware and real plates. So it does make one question at times what the money is going towards if you are paying for essentially what everyone else gets for free.

Aren't you describing the Chief's mess?

Back