Lake FLL

There are canals, waterways and drainage for normal operations. There's even a state agency called water management to manage those assets. However dropping a deluge of 26" in 24 would be a difficult task for anywhere on Earth. One calculation is that it was approximately 88 billion gallons of rainfall. For comparison, Conesus Lake in New York's Finger Lakes is about 48 billion gallons.
I can't imagine 26" in 24 hours. I have a WX station at my house, saw just over 4" one day last month. May have been the most I've ever seen in CA.

The issue isn't that Fort Lauderdale lacks a storm drain system. The issue is Florida is so low and flat they can't get rid of the water, no slope to drain.

I live 20 miles from the ocean at an elevation of ~930'. Last time my property flooded a new boat was being launched, the Captains name was Noah.

341209896_1349622769216948_3151833270088331807_n.jpg

My pool is certainly extra full due to the torrential rain. But there was no major flooding in my community. Miami also didn't really have any issues. It literally just dumped on Fort Lauderdale.
That's typical of most torrential rain anomalies. They tend to be very localized. It's all about heat and concentration and moisture content (think of the bubbles in a tea kettle as it approaches boil; those bubbles are the expression of the heat deltas).

What many folks still don't seem to understand about physics is that when you add heat to a closed system, the system doesn't heat up uniformly all at once. What happens first is relatively large localized extremes are created. If the atmosphere is the climate + heat, the frequency of those torrential (100, 500, 1000 yr events now happening multiple times per decade) rain storms is the weather.

It would be pretty amusing if you went into the San Gabriels during a 2 foot rain event thinking you were going to be the one watching others “get owned”.

I was actually just talking to somebody on Sierra Madre SAR about swift water rescue stuff.

I was actually just talking to somebody on Sierra Madre SAR about swift water rescue stuff.

I can’t imagine the season they’ve had out there,

I went to college about 4 miles from the mouth of San Antonio Canyon (drains Mt Baldy) and the school was built on an alluvial fan with up to half meter, rounded boulders.

There was apparently enough water at one point to push a thousand pound rock 4 miles out of the mountains.

I went to college about 4 miles from the mouth of San Antonio Canyon (drains Mt Baldy) and the school was built on an alluvial fan with up to half meter, rounded boulders.

There was apparently enough water at one point to push a thousand pound rock 4 miles out of the mountains.
I was just reading about Tulare Lake in Central California. I’d never heard of it before because it’s not normally there, It’s going to get really big when the snow melts. A crap load of farm land will be underwater for a couple of years.

A flood map produced by Kings County, California, shows the former outline of Tulare Lake. The lake has emerged after a series of atmospheric rivers struck California.

Last edited:

That’s like the erratics we have in Eastern WA..from the Lake Missoula floods (really cool to read about, and the story is proof that can’t always trust the science)

That’s like the erratics we have in Eastern WA..from the Lake Missoula floods (really cool to read about, and the story is proof that can’t always trust the science)

I think you’re referring the change in how we view the scablands as proof we can’t “trust the science”?

100% agree that early 20th century science had some struggles…but I’m not sure that’s applicable to the present day.

I think you’re referring the change in how we view the scablands as proof we can’t “trust the science”?

100% agree that early 20th century science had some struggles…but I’m not sure that’s applicable to the present day.
Oh no, more of the snobbery of it all. They did everything the could to denounce this young, from the “west” geologist. Simply because he wasn’t from the established East Coast.

National Geographic observes: "As philosopher Thomas Kuhn observed, new scientific truths often win the day not so much because opponents change their minds, but because they die off. By the time the Geological Society of America finally recognized Bretz’s work with the Penrose Medal, the field’s highest honour, it was 1979 and Bretz was 96 years old. He joked to his son, "All my enemies are dead, so I have no one to gloat over."

@SlumTodd_Millionaire

This is the part I was referencing:
Bretz encountered resistance to his theories from the geology establishment of the day. The geology establishment was resistant to such a sweeping theory for the origin of a broad landscape for a variety of reasons, including lack of familiarity with the remote areas of the interior Pacific Northwest where the research was based, and the lack of status and reputation of Bretz in the eyes of the largely Ivy League-based geology elites. Furthermore, his theory implied the potential possibilities of a Biblical flood, which the scientific community strongly rejected.[9]The Geological Society of Washington invited the young Bretz to present his previously published research at a meeting on 12 January 1927, where several other geologists presented competing theories. Bretz saw this as an ambush, and referred to the group as six "challenging elders". Their intention was to defeat him in a public debate, and thereby end the challenge his theories posed to their conservative interpretation of uniformitarianism.

I had no idea about Lake Missoula (obviously being from GA I had little knowledge of Montana in general), but I flew with a Captain who grew up in the area and taught me about it. Never looked at flying into MSO the same.

Another cool feature in the NW is Dry Falls, worth a read up on.

Back