KSMO, a Kalifornia airport

What a weird and random list. B17 and B25 are a no-go but any other two or four engine radial is ok apparently. I don't get the P180 either. I always thought that they were pretty quiet.

Why is the P180 on the list? I thought they were quiet.
Hah!

When Avantair had their base in Camarillo, the Avanti was one of the loudest airplanes on the field.

It's not necessarily that it's more or less noisy, but it certainly isn't whisper-quiet, and the frequencies it emits are horribly nasty.

Hansa jet? Srsly? Has there even been one in flying condition in the last 20 years?

Or your Lear 23, or IAI Jet Commander.

It does seem that there's no love for jet warbirds there. I wonder if miltary tactical aircraft are welcome?

Or your Lear 23, or IAI Jet Commander.

It does seem that there's no love for jet warbirds there. I wonder if miltary tactical aircraft are welcome?
There are some Hawker Hunters at Camarillo. They're the loudest airplanes on the field.

But it's cool, because military contractors. 'murka.

.....And here I thought KSDL and KSNA were bad. As demonic as KSMO is with this, they make those former two airports look downright friendly. :)

The fleet of planes based at KCNO and KMHV, should make a pilgrimage to KSMO. :D
The pistons, as far as I'm concerned, are welcome with open arms in Camarillo, and can bypass Santa Monica and buzz my apartment anytime.

The turbine-powered stuff, on the other hand and as far as I'm concerned, is welcome during daylight hours only. (And I'm not a NIMBY!)

(Incidentally, one of my favorite airport signs ever is - FLY QUIET - AVOID RESIDENTIAL OVERFLIGHTS.)

The pistons, as far as I'm concerned, are welcome with open arms in Camarillo, and can bypass Santa Monica and buzz my apartment anytime.

The turbine-powered stuff, on the other hand and as far as I'm concerned, is welcome during daylight hours only. (And I'm not a NIMBY!)

(Incidentally, one of my favorite airport signs ever is - FLY QUIET - AVOID RESIDENTIAL OVERFLIGHTS.)

Exactly. Reasonable noise abatement, I have no problem with. Fly neighborly, reasonably, and prudent, consistent with flight safety.

But outright bans of certain aircraft types 24/7/365, is off the wall.

Exactly. Reasonable noise abatement, I have no problem with. Fly neighborly, reasonably, and prudent, consistent with flight safety.

But outright bans of certain aircraft types 24/7/365, is off the wall.
No it isn't, it's Californian. We're a little nuts out here. It's okay. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor poor SMO, always catching a bad rap, that airport has been there since the 1920's! If you don't like the noise then don't live there!

For those that have been there know it's a really cool airport, for those that haven't try and get there before it closes, because unfortunately the city council will get its way eventually.

It's a very cool airport. We might be lucky it's still even there. Great area for the public to watch planes near the airport office. Spitfire grill is good. There is a museum and upscale restaurant there I was always too cheap to go to. And it's only an hour walk to Venice beach.

Hah!

When Avantair had their base in Camarillo, the Avanti was one of the loudest airplanes on the field.

It's not necessarily that it's more or less noisy, but it certainly isn't whisper-quiet, and the frequencies it emits are horribly nasty.

The Avianti gets lots of noise complaints, but isn't really any louder than any other PT6 powered craft. In fact, coming in at 81.x dB, it's actually quieter than most. Problem is the interaction between the 5-blade pushers and the exhaust flow. Makes for a very "disturbing" noise. I believe the Avanti's signature is in F minor key which is emotionally associated with depression and death. Funeral dirges are generally F minor.

In any case, before I hear any more yammering from the anti-airport folks who routinely use aircraft noise as a proxy for their envy-induced hatred of aviation, I want every Harley rider issued a noise citation. You just gotta love the cubical warrior who shows up at an airport meeting to make noise complaints, then turns around and obsequiously chats up the hog rider. Most Harleys are in the high 90 dB range, with many well into the 100s. Aviation stage 3 maxes out at 89 dB. dB is a logarithmic scale which means that the power output of 80dB is an order of magnitude less than 90dB, and 90dB an order of magnitude less than 100dB !!

But more important, the aviation community is trying hard to make inherently noisy aircraft quieter, while the Harley community is trying hard intentionally to make easily-silenced motorcycles as loud as possible. No wonder we elect 3rd graders to congress.

Hansa jet? Srsly? Has there even been one in flying condition in the last 20 years?

The last Hansa Jet I'm aware of that flew in the US was the one that goofball that owned Grand Aire got himself killed in a few years back... Too bad another pilot perished with him.

Back