King Air short of the runway KPWK

Where in the AIM does it say that's correct phonetical verbiage? It's almost as bad as the lazy corporate guys you just say the letters. "Roger, 2 JAY KAY (2JK)" Worthlessness

Doesn't ATC use "Dixie" for D at ATL? Really...not being a Sierra Alpha ;) ...I'm not sure. I thought i heard that the ome time I was there.

Doesn't ATC use "Dixie" for D at ATL? Really...not being a Sierra Alpha ;) ...I'm not sure. I thought i heard that the ome time I was there.

How is changing Sierra to Sugar because you want to be cute anything like changing Delta to Dixie so you don't have planes running into each other and taking wrong taxi/hold short instructions because its the same name anything alike?

Should have just kept the NWA call sign and complied with the AIM. Another option would have been to omit "D" from the naming in the first place. Delta was already big when the new terminal was opened in 1980.

How is changing Sierra to Sugar because you want to be cute anything like changing Delta to Dixie so you don't have planes running into each other and taking wrong taxi/hold short instructions because its the same name anything alike?

All I know is, whenever I've gotten fresh, cute, or non-standard on the radio, I've been rebuked with "Buzzsaw 5135, read back hold short instructons."

"Yeah, sorry, hold short runway 25-right, Buzzsaw..."

Is "Three-Five Naught" okay? :D

What about tree fiddy?
1026858_1336856947829_full.jpg

I can just imagine the pilot turning his head and shouting back in the cabin "Folks! I've got good news and bad news.........."

Incidentally, London Control was the only place in the world where we'd be called "Omni Express" at the last job.

I use the full telephony in my sector, but it's just to try to bait the pilot into saying it too. Rarely works. You (former) guys and Horizon Air are tough nuts to crack.

See also the 1006-type callsign war:

"Jebloo one thousand six checkin' on."
"Jebloo ten zero six roger. Contact center on..."
"Jebloo one thousand six roger."

Dang. Although one time I got someone to say ten thousand six.

I use the full telephony in my sector, but it's just to try to bait the pilot into saying it too. Rarely works. You (former) guys and Horizon Air are tough nuts to crack.

See also the 1006-type callsign war:

"Jebloo one thousand six checkin' on."
"Jebloo ten zero six roger. Contact center on..."
"Jebloo one thousand six roger."

Dang. Although one time I got someone to say ten thousand six.

One thousand six is acceptable phraseology in the US, is it not?

One thousand six is acceptable phraseology in the US, is it not?

I don't believe it is in the AIM, so you can say whatever you like, but it is in the 7110.65, so we have to say it this way:

2. Air carrier and other civil aircraft having FAA
authorized call signs. State the call sign followed by
the flight number in group form.

NOTE−
“Group form” is the pronunciation of a series of numbers
as the whole number, or pairs of numbers they represent
rather than pronouncing each separate digit. The use of
group form may, however, be negated by four-digit
identifiers or the placement of zeros in the identifier.

Radio and Interphone Communications 2−4−9
EXAMPLE−
[...]
“TWA Ten Zero Four.”

Incidentally, London Control was the only place in the world where we'd be called "Omni Express" at the last job.

I still drop a "decimal" in domestically once in a while. :)

Before we at Omni Air Transport were forced to change from the Omni Express call sign we would get all kinds of crap, OAE45 heavy er wait what are you today? Or having to spit out Lifegaurd Omni Express 36 was another PITA when the freq was busy. Although usually we were just Omni like all you guys.

Back