King Air short of the runway KPWK

Just listened to the tapes, pilot sure didn't help his cause there...I could barely understand him. Glad everyone walked away.

That's an expensive way to get yourself out of a job. I don't hear about Pt 91/135 operators running out of gas too often... I assume something like this haunts your career for a while?

Would you hire a guy that ran out of fuel in KA on a 400nm trip?

I heard a story from my friend's pt. 91 operation that a new kid had been hired to fly their KA 90 and was a friend of one of the execs - something along those lines. Ended up seizing one engine due to fuel exhaustion, and then magically shut down the still running engine by mistake. Landed belly up in a lake. Funniest part of the story was that the plane was actually relatively ok, and was floating on the surface. Local boater helped him tug the plane to shore. Unfortunately, a local park ranger said that having the plane on shore was illegal and threatened them with arrest if they didn't push it back out into the water. They did and it sank. Kid does something other than flying now.

I can't find the accident report from it, but my friend isn't one to make things like this up.

I heard a story from my friend's pt. 91 operation that a new kid had been hired to fly their KA 90 and was a friend of one of the execs - something along those lines. Ended up seizing one engine due to fuel exhaustion, and then magically shut down the still running engine by mistake. Landed belly up in a lake. Funniest part of the story was that the plane was actually relatively ok, and was floating on the surface. Local boater helped him tug the plane to shore. Unfortunately, a local park ranger said that having the plane on shore was illegal and threatened them with arrest if they didn't push it back out into the water. They did and it sank. Kid does something other than flying now.

I can't find the accident report from it, but my friend isn't one to make things like this up.

That's hilarious...I'd be interested to read that report.

Reactions: PK

Do you know where the incident happened? Even if you only know the state, it would be fairly simple to narrow down. :)

Would you hire a guy that ran out of fuel in KA on a 400nm trip?

To be honest, I don't think I'd hire any pilot that has ever run out of fuel (save for an actual mechanical issue of some sort, like a busted fuel line, etc.). Making sure there is sufficient gas in tank for your trip is pretty paramount as far as a pilot's responsibilities are concerned, no matter what the MTOW is.

That's an expensive way to get yourself out of a job. I don't hear about Pt 91/135 operators running out of gas too often... I assume something like this haunts your career for a while?

Actually fuel starvation is the main cause of many accidents in the non-airline world, especially when operating VFR and with smaller planes.

To be honest, I don't think I'd hire any pilot that has ever run out of fuel (save for an actual mechanical issue of some sort, like a busted fuel line, etc.). Making sure there is sufficient gas in tank for your trip is pretty paramount as far as a pilot's responsibilities are concerned, no matter what the MTOW is.

Outside the US or in any place with some decent weather forecast, fuel availability, alternates availability, it is really easy to put yourself in situations where you may run out of fuel, I got close couple times and unless I would have taken off above MTOW there wouldn`t have been a better outcome then a precautionary landing.

Maybe yes in the 121 and 135 IFR world there are no excuses...

Do you know where the incident happened? Even if you only know the state, it would be fairly simple to narrow down. :)

For some reason I thought he said it was in Lake Michigan - will ask him myself next time I see him. Not sure what side of the lake.

IMHO this is a MAJOR faux pas on the pilot. Looks like the diversion around the storm in central IN/IL added 15 mins to his planned route so even if he had made it, he would have been way under IFR mins.

Dozens of decent landings and nobody has anything to say, one little episode of running out of gas and critics come out of the woodwork. Rough crowd.

You know your right. Running out of gas and most likely killing everyone in the back, people on the ground and my self is really not a big deal. Thanks for reminding me that running out of gas is just as normal as a normal landing! I forgot.

Unfortunately, any plane crash is spectacular and too much of a selling asset to be overlooked by the press.

Back