Jumpseat Etiquette

Rules? What rules? :panic:It's fun to run amok in the airplane.

:laff:

Ah, so you're one of THOSE? ;) :D

What do other pilots question?

Well, for starters--turning off their portable electronic devices. They don't listen to our announcement which clearly states they need to be turned off "PRIOR to closing the a/c door." When we politely ask them to turn them off, some crane their neck as if to check the door status. Then we sometimes get the "I never heard of THAT! We do it after the main cabin door is closed." OK, then Hotstuff, go fly on your own airline and not be a guest on mine then! Some will also turn them back on before the announcement is made that it's safe to do so.
Some also sneer at our "please lift your window shades for take-off and landing." Again, "we don't have to do that," mentality.

I'm not trying to be a bitch, but the rules are the rules, and imagine what the pax would think if we had different rules for them and jumpseaters?
Other crewmembers should be the most compliant and well-behaved, if you ask me. It's pretty disconcerting to me and other FA's to have to deal with bs like this.

Oh, BTW, it's not just pilots---for the most part they are a delight to have on board. I love engaging them in conversation (if they're not sleeping, of course!) about where they're going or where they've just been.
Some jumpseating FA's are as rude, if not more so.:rolleyes:

When the uniform is off and I am in business casual, I occasionally indulge in alcoholic beverages while sitting in the back (not in the cockpit though). If I want a Jack Daniels on the rocks while I'm riding SWA to gamble in Vegas, I will order one and NEVER expect to get it for free (even though they always insist on me not paying for the drink). Even when I'm on my long 5.5 hour commute flight from JFK to SAN going home, I will occasionally order a drink.

Wait a sec...you drink on Southwest?

I could be wrong, but since you don't work for SWA, I'm pretty sure you're an ACM when you travel on them. I've never used them and *not* had to fill out an ACM form (except in Philly--they're doing it all electronically now). If I'm an ACM, I'm not drinking. That goes for the companies I can non-rev on as well...if I get a jumpseat pass on United to save money, I'll still check in and not drink even if they give me a seat in the back.

Even though I'm a private pilot, I like to check in with the crew when I'm traveling on a commercial flight. I will show the Captain my certificate and medical, and let them know I am in the back, in case they need any help. I like to have 2 or 3 rum & cokes, since it takes the edge off, and I fly better after a couple anyway.

I hope any Captain that sees any of my peers not following proper JS etiquette gets a proper talking to as they're on their way off your ship.

On their way off? No, they're usually called up to the cockpit and given an opportunity to correct their poor behavior before we even leave the gate.

Some will also turn them back on before the announcement is made that it's safe to do so.

Alright, I'll admit that I do that. As soon as I see the plane pull on to the parallel taxiway, I usually turn on my cell phone. Sorry, I'll try to be a good little pilot from now on. ;)

Awww, Todd.. Thanks for manning up! I'm not talking about on arrival---I'm talkiing about on take-off-before we reach 10,000 ft. To combat that, I add a little line into my level off announcement telling pax to not turn anything on until I make an announcement that it is safe to do so. What can I say, I'm a stickler for the rules! ;)

Even though I'm a private pilot, I like to check in with the crew when I'm traveling on a commercial flight. I will show the Captain my certificate and medical, and let them know I am in the back, in case they need any help. I like to have 2 or 3 rum & cokes, since it takes the edge off, and I fly better after a couple anyway.

:D

Things I can't believe:
1) This needed to be a thread
2) It's on the 2nd page.
3) You wouldn't thank the guys upfront for the free ride, if for no other reason than common courtesy.

:yeahthat:

You guys are making this out to be much harder than it really needs to be. Just stop up, say hello, and get comfortable (as much as possible in an Embraer!). On the way out, if you can, say thanks. If you can't because we don't have the door open yet, or we're running the parking checklist, then that's fine. We're busy, you're busy, I understand.

Why is it so hard? Just be polite, respect the fact you're getting a free ride, and don't act like an ass. Simple.

At Delta and Continental (I can't remember what AirTran is like) you are only jumpseating if you actually sit in the cockpit. Otherwise, you are issued a boarding pass with a seat number = non-rev.

Not so at Continental.

If you use a jumpseat request or jumpseat listing to obtain ANY seat on the airplane you are a jumpseater, and remain so until you leave the aircraft. As a jumpseater, if you are offered or assigned a seat in the back, even by a gate agent, it is still essential that you stick your head up front and introduce yourself. The captain may choose to check your credentials even though you have a seat assignment in the back. Do not make the mistake of heading for your seat without at least making an effort to see the captain unless you are specifically told not to do so by a working crew member.

Jumpseaters, regardless of what seat on the aircraft they occupy should not drink - period.

A "thank you" on the way out is also appropriate. If you use an ID-90. ID-75, Service Charge Pass or any other type of similar pass, you are not obligated to say a word to the flight crew because you are not using your "request to occupy the captains jumpseat" as your ticket on the airplane. When I use a personal pass to travel, I usually discreetly mention to at least one FA that I am a commuting pilot just in case they may need some assistance during the flight. Plus, it may net you a free headset or free drink now and then. :)

I use the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method when it comes to this. I always go up front and ask them if it's ok if I catch a ride and thank them for giving the ride before the flight reguardless if I have a seat in the back or not.

Since I mainly fly on southwest and they usually turn a plane in 15 to 20 minutes after reaching the gate, I opt not to thank them at the end of the flight. They seemed to busy to aknowledge me the few times that I've attempted to thank them at the end anyway. .

:yeahthat:

You guys are making this out to be much harder than it really needs to be. Just stop up, say hello, and get comfortable (as much as possible in an Embraer!). On the way out, if you can, say thanks. If you can't because we don't have the door open yet, or we're running the parking checklist, then that's fine. We're busy, you're busy, I understand.

Why is it so hard? Just be polite, respect the fact you're getting a free ride, and don't act like an ass. Simple.

I just jumpseated on Alaska, and had a seat in the back. The captain was very surprised that I came up and asked for the jumpseat. We had a similar discussion about how much respect and common courtesy are being ignored by many jumpseaters. I don't know how to fix it, but for those people that aren't humble, polite, and respectful...Watch out...bad behavior will screw us all out of the jumpseat.

I just jumpseated on Alaska, and had a seat in the back. The captain was very surprised that I came up and asked for the jumpseat.

That's an Alaska thing. They're the only company that I'm aware of that actually puts it on their jumpseat form that you shouldn't stop by the flight deck unless you're actually riding the actual jumpseat. Personally, I ignore it and stop by anyway out of respect for the Captain. I think it's a horrible policy.

It never hurts to help the crews out when you on a free ride... For example, on one flight the crews asked for people to close the windows to keep the AC cool. I wasn't in a hurry so I hit a few on my way out... Ask the crews if there is anything you can do... that will go a long ways and represent your company for the better...

Has Jetblue changed their policy on cockpit jumpseaters? When my husband worked there, only Jetblue FA or pilots were allowed to jumpseat in the cockpit.

FA's are not allowed in cockpit jumpseat anymore. For a while our own FA's were allowed one "familiarity" ride up front. That whole thing got canned, at the request of the FAA from what I heard.

If you can't decide whether or not to bother the pilots when your catching a ride, just ask the FA at the door if the Captain wants to see jumpseaters. If he's not interested, he has probably told the FA's this.

That's an Alaska thing. They're the only company that I'm aware of that actually puts it on their jumpseat form that you shouldn't stop by the flight deck unless you're actually riding the actual jumpseat. Personally, I ignore it and stop by anyway out of respect for the Captain. I think it's a horrible policy.

That might be it....I had a seat assignment, so I didn't have to fill out a jumpseat form. I know horizon does it that way, but didn't realize that alaska was like that too....either way, the captain wasn't too pleased with the lack of professionalism and respect from jumpseaters recently....

Gotta play the SSI card every once in a while though. . .otherwise a thread might get WAY out of hand. :whatever:

Gotta play the SSI card every once in a while though. . .otherwise a thread might get WAY out of hand. :whatever:

Agreed that there's no SSI posted here, but as a military member, I understand the virtue of good operational security (OPSEC). That is to say that certain information, while not classified per se, doesn't belong in the public doman. Anyway, this is a thread about proper etiquette, something that's been lacking lately and should be addressed, and it's not a thread about specific procedures.

Back