Jumpseat Etiquette

At Delta and Continental (I can't remember what AirTran is like) you are only jumpseating if you actually sit in the cockpit. Otherwise, you are issued a boarding pass with a seat number = non-rev.

Hmm, on Continental Connection (not sure how it's done on mainline), jumpseater ONLY sits in the cockpit if there's no seats in the back.

At Delta and Continental (I can't remember what AirTran is like) you are only jumpseating if you actually sit in the cockpit. Otherwise, you are issued a boarding pass with a seat number = non-rev.

At AirTran the gate agent will issue you a boarding pass with a seat number, but you're still considered a jumpseater unless you're riding on a pass. I've had a few CAs blow their tops when an ASA pilot went straight to the back and sat down without stopping by the flight deck. Don't know why, but it's always the ASA guys. They must need a little more jumpseat etiquette training over there for the newhires.

To rephrase, At DAL and CAL you not considered a jumpseater if you have a seat assignment and you ride in the back. No need to check in with the captain and free to booze it up.

Hmm, on Continental Connection (not sure how it's done on mainline), jumpseater ONLY sits in the cockpit if there's no seats in the back.

Continental Express and Connection use a slightly different system than mainline.

To rephrase, At DAL and CAL you not considered a jumpseater if you have a seat assignment and you ride in the back. No need to check in with the captain and free to booze it up.

I'd be careful about this. I know that's the policy at DAL, but I had a DAL Captain "scold" me after a flight because I didn't stop up front even though I was assigned a seat in the back. It's always safer to just stop by the cockpit.

I try to use my own judgment when jumpseating, and I find that most cockpit crews appreciate the break from the norm. I'll usually push past the head waiter errrr lead FA without saying anything. While eating a bucket of BBQ ribs and drinking a tall boy of PBR I'll slap the Capt on the back (leaving a huge hand print in the process) and let him know where I feel like sitting. I'll then proceed to tell him that I hope Colgan will pick up some used Russian transports that we can use on these routes. Sure you might lose your job but I'll have another type rating. Then I put out my cigarette in his coffee and head to first class.

Seriously though.

I've only had one bad experience jump seating and that was on JetBlue (I've also had my best experience's jumpseating on JB also). I was using them for a flight from SFO to JFK. While going through security I noticed a JB crew so I introduced myself and asked them if they were flying to JFK. The capt didn't say anything to me but the FO said yeah. Turns out he was former pinnacle so we talked about my parent organization and walked to the gate together (along with the silent Capt).

When the flight time came it was a completely full flight. The gate agent cleared me through CASS and handed me my jumpseat ticket. I introduced myself to the lead and asked permission to speak to the crew. She cleared me through so I stepped up front. From here I had my company ID, Ticket, and Certificate in hand. I said "Hi again guys looks like it's all filled up in the back and the gate agent has me riding up front." I realize this was informal, but I felt like I had already introduced myself to the crew. Normally I wouldn't be so colloquial.

The capt just said "No you're not, step out here with me." I went to the gate with him and he told me "Don't assume that you're going to ride in my cockpit." I immediately apologized and said I didn't mean it like that. He walked away to berate the gate agent and came back and told me I could have a seat in the FA's jumpseat. I apologized again and said I would sit anywhere and I was just grateful for the ride.

Otherwise I've had a lot of fun and met some interesting people jump seating in various types of aircraft over the last few years.

Sounds like the Capt was having a bad day and just wanted to take it out on someone.

BTW are you a fomer S5 Saab pilot too?

I try to use my own judgment when jumpseating, and I find that most cockpit crews appreciate the break from the norm. I'll usually push past the head waiter errrr lead FA without saying anything. While eating a bucket of BBQ ribs and drinking a tall boy of PBR I'll slap the Capt on the back (leaving a huge hand print in the process) and let him know where I feel like sitting. I'll then proceed to tell him that I hope Colgan will pick up some used Russian transports that we can use on these routes. Sure you might lose your job but I'll have another type rating. Then I put out my cigarette in his coffee and head to first class.

LOL!, that's hillarious! :D

I said "Hi again guys looks like it's all filled up in the back and the gate agent has me riding up front." I realize this was informal, but I felt like I had already introduced myself to the crew. Normally I wouldn't be so colloquial.

The capt just said "No you're not, step out here with me." I went to the gate with him and he told me "Don't assume that you're going to ride in my cockpit."

Granted, I'm new at this, but I agree that was too informal. I always specifically ask permission, no matter where I'm sitting or what airline it is (although so far I've only J/S on Southwest, Northwest, and Comair). It's very possible you ran into a captain who had a bad day at work (or at home), or maybe that's just his personality (although I hope not). Some just like to have their egos stroked, and since a jumpseater is more or less a hitch hiker, this gives the captain the perfect opportuity to excercise his absolute power if he feels like it. I try not to open the door to that or leave any ambiguity--I'm pleading to his royal highness that he may be so kind as to let my poor bum humbly have a ride. So far I haven't had any problems.

Resident JetBlue guy here. Sorry you had that bad experience with us. We have a history of our gate agents treating the jumpseats like they own them. I have personally talked with our Chief Pilots Office about it. Hopefully we'll get that line of thinking remedied.

That issue could have been the problem. Or maybe, considering your description of the Captain's less than personable nature, he's just a jackass. Or maybe your verbage could have been better. I never tell any CA that I'm jumpseating up front with him. I always specifically ask if I can ride in their jumpseat. It may seem like a very minor difference, but it's a matter of respecting the airplane as his, not yours, and not the gate agents.

Hope you have good rides with us. I and all the Captains I fly with are always happy to help a fella out.

Seriously though.

I've only had one bad experience jump seating and that was on JetBlue (I've also had my best experience's jumpseating on JB also). I was using them for a flight from SFO to JFK. While going through security I noticed a JB crew so I introduced myself and asked them if they were flying to JFK. The capt didn't say anything to me but the FO said yeah. Turns out he was former pinnacle so we talked about my parent organization and walked to the gate together (along with the silent Capt).

When the flight time came it was a completely full flight. The gate agent cleared me through CASS and handed me my jumpseat ticket. I introduced myself to the lead and asked permission to speak to the crew. She cleared me through so I stepped up front. From here I had my company ID, Ticket, and Certificate in hand. I said "Hi again guys looks like it's all filled up in the back and the gate agent has me riding up front." I realize this was informal, but I felt like I had already introduced myself to the crew. Normally I wouldn't be so colloquial.

The capt just said "No you're not, step out here with me." I went to the gate with him and he told me "Don't assume that you're going to ride in my cockpit." I immediately apologized and said I didn't mean it like that. He walked away to berate the gate agent and came back and told me I could have a seat in the FA's jumpseat. I apologized again and said I would sit anywhere and I was just grateful for the ride.

Otherwise I've had a lot of fun and met some interesting people jump seating in various types of aircraft over the last few years.

Thanks for the compliment Germb, I usually don't think anyone's reading my stuff. Nope, just a Colgan pilot Bandit.

I've found that some of the nicest crews I've met were JetBlue crews, I've used JetBlue a variety of times and this experience was definitely the exception.

I agree with the responses, I never would have phrased my introduction the way I did if I hadn't already said hi to the crew and walked through the terminal with them for a good 15 mins. Sort of like I felt comfortable enough with them to drop into the ustedes form. Most of the time I monitor my Pints and Quarts when jumpseating. I grew up with a gruff angry fighter jock Dad so I can usually pick my way through a situation like this.

I have to say as well that Jetblue has some great crews and have enjoyed jumpseating on them as well.

I'm not sure about CO, but I think Doug or another Delta person can chime in on this -- I'm 99% sure this is not true. Next time you jumpseat on DL and get assigned in the cabin, goto the back of the plane and look at the load manifest the flight attendants get. It will list all the pax, and whether they are platinum/gold/silver/NRSA/XCM. Your name will be listed as an XCM, not NSRA.

I've had captains tell me to "tell the FA to comp all your drinks!!", and usually FA's will always offer you drinks.. However, it's best to just say no thanks...

I'm not sure about CO, but I think Doug or another Delta person can chime in on this -- I'm 99% sure this is not true. Next time you jumpseat on DL and get assigned in the cabin, goto the back of the plane and look at the load manifest the flight attendants get. It will list all the pax, and whether they are platinum/gold/silver/NRSA/XCM. Your name will be listed as an XCM, not NSRA.

I've had captains tell me to "tell the FA to comp all your drinks!!", and usually FA's will always offer you drinks.. However, it's best to just say no thanks...

I'm a Delta pilot and commuted for a while. On our manifest in the cockpit (AWABS) a jumpseater is only listed for the jumpseat if he is actually sitting in it. Otherwise, you are considered non-rev.

Now, if when you go down the jetway and you don't know if there will be a seat in the back yet (ie: you don't have a seat assignment on your boarding card) then you must check in up front and wait it out.

Better safe than sorry - I always check up front and ask permission if I may take the seat in the back, and thank them for it.

What annoys the most - Middle age guy flight attendants that check through all of your paperwork before you get to see the guys up front and ask. Just last week I was coming onto the plane with everything in hand and I asked if I could say hello to the Captain. He replied , " Not without showing me all of your credentials first", and said it quite sternly. I think he was offended that I didn't automatically hand him my stuff even though it was out in hand. He then proceeded to look at my crew id, passport, and medical and checked me out to make sure my pictures matched. I've had my stuff checked out by the captain once in the last 7 to 8 months, but the middle age male flight attendant type has checked my stuff at least 7 or 8 times. lame.

Better safe than sorry - I always check up front and ask permission if I may take the seat in the back, and thank them for it.

What annoys the most - Middle age guy flight attendants that check through all of your paperwork before you get to see the guys up front and ask. Just last week I was coming onto the plane with everything in hand and I asked if I could say hello to the Captain. He replied , " Not without showing me all of your credentials first", and said it quite sternly. I think he was offended that I didn't automatically hand him my stuff even though it was out in hand. He then proceeded to look at my crew id, passport, and medical and checked me out to make sure my pictures matched. I've had my stuff checked out by the captain once in the last 7 to 8 months, but the middle age male flight attendant type has checked my stuff at least 7 or 8 times. lame.

Tell the Captain when something like that happens. I had an NWA jumpseater tell me that my FA did that when I was a CA at Pinnacle. After the flight, I took the FA aside and read her the riot act about how she is to treat guests of the Captain, because that is exactly what a jumpseater is. I'm not having my guest interrogated by an FA before he can come talk to me. Absolute BS.

I'm a Delta pilot and commuted for a while. On our manifest in the cockpit (AWABS) a jumpseater is only listed for the jumpseat if he is actually sitting in it. Otherwise, you are considered non-rev.

Now, if when you go down the jetway and you don't know if there will be a seat in the back yet (ie: you don't have a seat assignment on your boarding card) then you must check in up front and wait it out.

Are you sure this policy doesn't just apply to Delta people? OAL J/S'ers play the game a little differently, or so I thought? Anyway, as you know we don't have the DL jumpseat just yet, so if I do ride them I use my dad's passes as an S3B.

Back